Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spontaneous combustion  (Read 1280 times)

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
spontaneous combustion
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:30:07 am »

after sorting out some mods I decided to make (adding a fourth set of traders designed to be useless in battle and need serious protection to fill out the seasons, and an incredibly violent race to attack early on and consider treason a good idea) I decided to start playing again. Both worlds I created had the miners undergo spontaneous combustion. I had spent some time modding dwarfs to be immune to the effects of heat (to help with the construction and testing of the ultimate death trap/entrance chamber) so the fact that each of my miners has suddenly started releasing smoke and burning, without any sign of anything to start the fire, is rather aggravating. To make it more annoying no other dwarf has been effected, and there is no sign of the superhot material I threw in, not to mention they were still a huge distance away from the magma in the cold biome and the walls were mostly not warm (I caught one of the miners before he started burning properly but was already releasing smoke, and the wall he was digging into was warm but none of the others were). Anyone have any idea just what might be happening?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: spontaneous combustion
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 08:35:10 am »

1) I'd move this thread into modding forum.

2) And I'd show them your relevant raws.

3) I'd also check the material of picks, beyond dwarf raws themselves.

4) Or wall material, in light of the problems of traders bringing magma and catching on fire.

Awesome trap, though.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 09:04:51 am »

Would make a hell of a syndrome or curse.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 11:37:33 am »

the plan for the trap (once it works okay) is for attackers to be sealed in, be covered in magma, then covered in water at which point the entry is opened once more and miners dig out the obsidian. The reason I didn't put this in modding is that I didn't modify the dwarfs temperature and it was only normal materials where they were digging each time (and copper picks, regular clothing etc.), so unless there is some weird interaction like trying to make dwarfs immune to heat resulting in them slowly increasing in temperature until they melt, it doesn't seem likely that the modding is responsible

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:24:17 pm »

I seem to have fixed it by fiddling with the raws again, but it still doesn't make sense, particularly with the exceptions...

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 12:54:44 pm »

it worked in arena, but turns out they still burst into flame in an actual world. And now it happens outside. And they take marble stairs with them, it would appear. I have no idea what is going on any more

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:58:16 pm »

Okay, now I'm curious. How did you attempt to make dwarves immune to heat without modding?

Also, raw duplication glitch can results in all sorts of 'interesting' behaviour. I know I've seen speculation of missing materials becoming magma/rock, at least, which can be caused by as little as typo.

JSYK: Reminder that many changes require world regen to work fully.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 06:14:33 pm »

Murphy esc heckler didn't say that they hadn't modded the game. They said that their modding probably wasn't the cause of the melting.

(Which is wrong, since nobody else sees melting miners, and there's also the duplication errors, but it's a much more reasonable error than "I modded and didn't mod".)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:07:55 am »

I tried to explain that i went for minimum modding, but I guess that's just Murphies law, no matter how clear I try to make it people will misunderstand. I have made a modding forum topic to cover this now, as I was left with no idea how to sort it out

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 07:26:01 am »

Okay, now I'm curious. How did you attempt to make dwarves immune to heat without modding?

Also, raw duplication glitch can results in all sorts of 'interesting' behaviour. I know I've seen speculation of missing materials becoming magma/rock, at least, which can be caused by as little as typo.

JSYK: Reminder that many changes require world regen to work fully.

3. Creature material changes ain't one of those changes.

2. Not speculation; if duplicated raws cause a save's ID to refer to an inorganic that isn't valid, due to the whole "shunting all the objects below" thing, it'll be "rock"/"magma", a generic inorganic to replace it. Duped raws are well-defined and unchaotic behavior, they're just kinda difficult to figure out.