Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Lost?  (Read 432 times)

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
World Lost?
« on: September 15, 2018, 01:19:04 pm »

Hello,

Hopefully I'm directing this to the right board.

I've ran into a situation where the game seems to have lost the world I generated after I had to move it from one drive to another on my computer. My save files are there, so by all logic the world should be there too. However, the menu has "Continue playing" and "Generate new world!" options, and when hit continue and I load up the save the game just shuts down.

I'm not sure what to do or if there's a way to load up the save and the world so I don't have to completely start over. The fortress I've was working on had a pretty perfect set-up with a river, moat, most of the industries already set-up and a population of 300. Losing is fun but this wasn't the kind of loss I was planning for. Haha.

I'm running DF 0.44.12 and using the PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.44.12-r03 on Windows 7.
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Lost?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 01:46:50 pm »

Given that saves can be downloaded from DFFD and started without issues (apart from those causing the saves to be uploaded, of course), it's likely something went wrong when you moved the save: saves can be moved fairly freely, with the main limitations being to try to use a newer save with an older version, and a large memory footprint 64 bit save with the 32 bit version, but the LNP is 64 bit, so the second case is not the cause. If you haven't removed the save from the original drive, I'd try to copy it again (the complete regionX folder, with all the contents), and you may want to look in the waste basket to see if you can recover it if you did remove it.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 02:25:27 pm »

Given that saves can be downloaded from DFFD and started without issues (apart from those causing the saves to be uploaded, of course), it's likely something went wrong when you moved the save: saves can be moved fairly freely, with the main limitations being to try to use a newer save with an older version, and a large memory footprint 64 bit save with the 32 bit version, but the LNP is 64 bit, so the second case is not the cause. If you haven't removed the save from the original drive, I'd try to copy it again (the complete regionX folder, with all the contents), and you may want to look in the waste basket to see if you can recover it if you did remove it.

Sounds like the save file has gone the way of the drunken dwarf down the river then.. I did the dumb thing of cut pasting rather than copy pasting so I don't have the original save file anymore. And since I've already rebooted the computer once I can't even undo what was done so far. Ah well.
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 05:28:08 pm »

Note that the save isn't a single file, but a folder with files (and sub folders), but cut&paste can be done on folders as well as files.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:16:25 pm »

Have you tried to start DF directly and continuing your game (go into the df folder, start df, and continue your game). It may be that one of the tools is breaking and your save is fine. I don't know anything about PeridexisErrant's Starter pack but Windows would have complained if there was an issue with any step of the file transfer.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?