Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Site Ideas  (Read 1389 times)

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:ELF]
    • View Profile
New Site Ideas
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:07:54 am »

I found that there were a few structures that could add some more depth to the adventuring experience (and fort mode perhaps) and could lead to more uses for the Alias professions that came with the artifact update.

Graveyard
A site for small human hamlets that have yet to develop catacombs (considering only major historical figures get tombs). It could simply be an area of tilled soil with slabs marking resting spots. If digging is implemented eventually, you could dig up graves and loot any potential precious goods along with their bones if you so desire. Perhaps in fort mode, particularly mischievous squads could dig up graves and agitate the locals. I think it would fit in well with all the open farmland.

Black Market
A developed town with a particularly high number of criminals could eventually form a black market, where they sell stolen artifacts, mysterious scrolls, counterfeit gems (glass), enslaved creatures such as kobolds, and items exotic/foreign to the black markets civ. This could be another passing point for fetch quests as artifacts could have changed hands and have been sold. It could also lead to quests from the local rulers to investigate the black market (either incognito or with brute intimidation) and expose criminal leaders. If your adventurer has no moral qualms you can use this to purchase very powerful items like artifact armor/weapons or get hard-to find weapons (this also gives you more stuff to spend your money on).

Gallows/Jail
Areas for bound criminals to stay, instead of just being out and about. Could simply be a small building with guards, a small stockpile, and a room with vertical bars and/or chains to bind criminals. Headsmen and guards could offer quests to take out escaped convicts or interrogate current ones if your intimidation or persuader skills are high enough.

Training Grounds
And area in the courtyard of the keeps, soldiers can dwell there to spar or recruit. maybe a row or two of practice targets or dummies. Not much functionality, just for flavor. Perhaps makes it easier to find higher tier fighters.
When in doubt, Succeed from the union.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: New Site Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:23 pm »

Gallows and jails, jails at least, as well as trainings grounds and graveyards already exist as designated rooms from furniture I'm fortress mode.

While black markets, despite what cartoons and romantic novels about overthrowing dictators might suggest, aren't real physical places were contrabandist and criminals gather to offer their smuggled/stolen goods. A black market is a economic term to describe the illegal trade network when some good is outlawed, restricted or controlled, in order to supply the demand of said good skipping controls in case of rationing or altogether in case of bans.

Sure black markets could exist in DF but not as an designated area but similar to spy networks with stashes of goods hidden in different places by different creatures/entities/people that may or may not have a relation or even know about each other, instead of a centralized place like you seem to suggest.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:33:01 pm »

While black markets, despite what cartoons and romantic novels about overthrowing dictators might suggest, aren't real physical places were contrabandist and criminals gather to offer their smuggled/stolen goods. A black market is a economic term to describe the illegal trade network when some good is outlawed, restricted or controlled, in order to supply the demand of said good skipping controls in case of rationing or altogether in case of bans.

This a thousand times

When I saw a litteral black market in "the dome" I lost my shit. Like, they made it a market with criminal customers and stand owners. Thats...not what a black market is. Black market is selling off regulation. When you buy stuff that fell of the truck, out of a friend and off regulation, you're buying "off of black market". It just means off regulation.

With that said I like the idea of graveyards, progressively being developped into tombs by their parent civ. I'd like to see that and I think this is a good idea.

Also, for the black market thing, maybe a reselling system would be a good idea. You would have to get in contact with people who know who is buying stolen goods, which may depend on their personalities. Town guards may have a chance of catching them every odd year. Getting introduced to a criminal network could be a good gameplay addition, and a way to reinject stolen goods into the economy. But I think something similar is already planned
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:39:48 pm by Cathar »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 05:44:27 pm »

Fleamarkets: informal, possibly tacitly "not seen" (depending upon the authoritarianism they work under, and may be "officially" unseen as a safety-valve but still quietly policed/monitored for intelligence purposes and to close down truly dangerous sales), ripe for various degrees of trading legalities or lack-thereof.

Floating Markets: 'spontaneous' or at least arranged to be irregular in location (if not in frequency) and maybe a reaction to the perceived problems of the fleamarkets being secretly tool of the government.

Speakeasy-type 'private establishments' where (without official oversight or sort of excluded by upward-corruption/quid-pro-quo) shady deals (and other things) might happen in smokey alcoves.

New to town (and without a reputation) you could probably find a fairly sanitised "flohmarkt" (my main experience of these, IRL, being in Germany and ex-Eastern Berlin in particular) quite easy, anywhere where people can handily lay out wares without being explicitly discouraged by residents and authorities alike.

By knowing the right people to ask (or the right sort of people to ask where the right people to ask are) you could maybe discover the next imminent floating market. Maybe asking the right questions (and not asking the wrong ones) at the previous place? Likely to be more anarchic, except for Unwritten Rules that you might easily fall afoul of, and dangerous.

Again, the right kind of questions of the right kind of wrong-uns might lead to that variously discreet door, behind which are various discrete levels of checking. Once inside, less intrinsically dangerous but with plenty of behavioural rules you could fall afoul of if you present yourself badly (or annoy the kind of person who has reputation or influence enough to get a bye) or i any way threaten the sanctity of the establishment itself.

And then, somewhere in the middle of that all, there's the CMOT Dibblers. Perhaps purveying pies containing anything from 'meat' (named meat, if you're lucky!) to passwords.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:51:14 pm »

Occupation Site: This site should be a thing for when a civ conquers another civs site instead of instantly converting all the structures. It will act is a makeshift castle/admin site during the occupation.

Better Bandit camps: Make the bandit camps more defined. Tents are already in Dwarf Fortress already with refugees, so make bandits in camps use the tent feature

Make elven sites more better: Human, Dwarf, and Goblin sites are the most detailed- but elven sites are just a few trees and thats it. Make tree based infrastructure for the Elves and make it so that the Druids used technique to bend bark without cutting tree.

Trenches for Goblins: Trenches are way too numerous for Goblins. Even stranger that such structures are developed when they have no practical use for it without any sort of firearm technology.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »

No historical background whatsoever, BUT... while black markets obviously arn't a physical place these days, I can see how they may have been in the pre 1400 era that DF is set in. I mean, some of our forts dont even have a sheriff or a guard, and even those that do have, cant patrole the entire fort constantly (or at least they usually dont). Bear in mind that we do have a lot of organized crime in DF, people who need to get rid of stolen property ect. I can definetly see how an abandoned warehouse becomes a black market, until "lawenforcement" shuts it down or they abandon it. the same would go for a towns "slum". these are areas were illigal wares could be displayed more openly, but to make it more realistic, it should either hide there wares when the guard comes, or just move the market around in the first place.

Alternatively, black markets dont need to be in the big towns. It could be that they are a feature that would improve greatly upon smaller villages. So, for example a village might have a reputation for a black market there, but in order to find the black market you would need to listen to rumors ect.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 11:35:27 pm »

Black markets might not exist in the real world as designated locations, but it's certainly a very common fantasy trope.

I think what OP is really looking for is for towns to be divided up into economic regions, where there are certain areas that are not as well policed and criminals tend to hang out, as opposed to being scattered more or less at random except in literal underground lairs. The seedier parts of town can have their own markets, taverns and shops, and could be places where you might be able to find regulated goods or recruits for a rebellion but at the cost of more frequent ambushes.