Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carpets - Could you just let me know which ones are good?  (Read 1721 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Carpets - Could you just let me know which ones are good?
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:41:35 pm »

I'm fiddling around with carpet designs for a tileset atm. They are easy to make, but I have far too many options and can't pick.

or maybe like this? (Final Fantasy IV banners for testing that style)

Any feedback will be appreciated. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carpets - Could you just let me know which ones are good?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:11:27 pm »

Maybe make the reds darker and less saturated, since they're going to be against a grey background most of the time. Maybe some noise can help too, I haven't done a lot of spriting.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:29:15 pm »

i like the red and gold, and the banners in the bottom image. But it does make it look like a several individual rugs as opposed to one piece.

The green rug looks most like a one piece rug.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 10:38:10 pm »

Checkerboard, blue, and top right reds also look cohesive rather than individual carpets laid down next to each other.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:16:22 pm »

Checkerboard, blue, and top right reds also look cohesive rather than individual carpets laid down next to each other.
The top right reds look cohesive, but to me they don't clearly look like carpet. I think putting a pattern makes it more obviously a carpet, especially if that pattern has fuzzy edges that don't look like tiles.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:23 pm »

I like the 2nd from top right hand red one (6).  (Colour optional.) It has some texture but is not overwhelming.  I'm guessing the purpose it to indicate they are carpets without making them stand out to much. My 2 cents.

Quick edit: or perhaps the third from top middle brown one ('8'), by the same rationale.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:19:44 pm by feelotraveller »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 09:13:29 pm »

From top left, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, and 12 are all fine.  The block pattern that repeats in number one is the only complaint I have against it, but 5, 7 and 9 would be extremely busy and distracting in pretty much any size other than single-tile.  If you toned down the border patterns to be closer to 4 they would be much less visually disruptive. (Yes, I know that you are looking for one or two to go with, choosing from such well-made tiles is very difficult.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:26:09 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.