Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: Re: TricMagic's ByoS Mafia: Day 4: Mafia Wins(5/10)+1  (Read 64784 times)

M00S12

• Bay Watcher
  • :)))))
    • View Profile
Re: TricMagic's ByoS Mafia: Stacking the Deck(6/10?{At least 10)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 07:55:03 pm »

Sorry if I should know this but what are the deadlines? Like how long is an unextended day.

Btw I invited a friend to play.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 08:19:28 pm »

72. more or less. 24 for personal extensions, and 48 for community. Nights are 24|48. I would rather you all get your actions in in the first 24 hour night though. It will only be 48 if people forget to do so. I shall remind them.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 08:41:40 pm »

I haven't played in ages, but I'll in.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TricMagic's ByoS Mafia: Stacking the Deck(7/10?{At least 10)
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 09:13:35 pm »

Fully Random in

Because if my dumbass is given a choice imma be like
Blue Eyes White Dragon
Red Eyes Black Dragon
Kuriboh
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

M00S12

• Bay Watcher
  • :)))))
    • View Profile
Re: TricMagic's ByoS Mafia: Stacking the Deck(8/10?{At least 10)
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 07:08:21 pm »

out
For now, at least

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: TricMagic's ByoS Mafia: Stacking the Deck(7/10?{At least 10)
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 03:54:42 am »

I'll IN if this is still going to run

Given the timeframe that may be unlikely, though

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 08:37:57 am »

2 more then. And yes, still going to occur.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 07:10:01 pm »

In.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TricMagic's ByoS Mafia: Stacking the Deck(9/10?{1 More~)
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 08:35:43 am »

A reminder to send in the three cards. (If you could.)

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 11:35:33 pm »

I see the views on the games threshold thread going up.

Outside of the people who would normally play but can't spare the time right now, y'all nerds looking at this wasteland of a subforum and not signing up for games should sign up for this game.
It literally needs one person (and for the players who are in to be here) to run.

This kind of BYOR is not at all a bad place to start and I personally would say will give you one of the best new-player experiences you could get here. For your first game, the presence of mechanical methods of play means you aren't nearly as vulnerable to hitting a brick wall when trying to make a lynch happen when you don't know how to.

If you're a long term player and you actually have the ~2 hours a day to spare to devote to playing a game, sign up for the fucking game. If you could be playing and, knowing that, you are not, it's your fault the subforum has stalled.
Also, just sign up and get it running. Even if you might need to replace out, having a game in existence gives a place to store players who might wish to return or start up. I guarantee you that if this game runs there won't be a problem finding a few more players for padding.

If you're already in the game, it'd be nice to see you sound off so we can see that y'all are still here.
Also, since I'm an asshole, I might start pre-game RVS soon since I know how to play it and the undyed nylon gloves are off. That would be bad for you to miss.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 03:31:02 am »

Still here. But what's this about a pre-game RVS? How does that even work?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 04:07:36 am »

what's this about a pre-game RVS? How does that even work?
During RVS, questions will be asked which could have been asked before the game. You'll see this mostly in setups which make one of two cases: those like paranormal, where enough role information exists for players to speculate on strategies which have not yet, at any point, been fully thought out, and those like themed BYORs, where players who can cold read the mod can fish for context to evaluate roleclaims by reading hard into flavor.
I don't think that's useful.

What is useful however, is getting contextual data on the posting style of clear players in the current state of their meta before we enter the veil of ignorance. Not only are you clear, but right now you're playing a good town game. A lot of people can't be trusted to do that even if they are cleared, which is why the pre-game is so useful to gather this data; bad players will often do better here in projecting authenticity because town often make the mistake of playing like scum, which puts them at a disadvantage compared to scum who can focus on the much more useful task of playing like town.

If I say 'how familiar are you with yugioh' in order to fish out context for role flavor claims latter in the thread, how does that reflect on me?
This is a big question, and something you should be thinking about. Why would I do this? Do I expect you to tell the truth? I've already said I don't find it useful. Is the question just bait?
Am I just fishing for thread activity to try and lure floating players into the game?
Why would I use 'just' if I'm going to draw attention to it. Is this an authentic posting style?

You don't know any of this. What's worse, there are players here you have no such context on. You've got no D0 reads on a lot of the players here, since they're outsiders and don't have a history you can peruse or are familiar with. How can you deal with that? Will you deal with that? Does it matter to you?
These are questions I wouldn't mind seeing the answer to. Of course, you can explain yourself to me here, since I'm trying to cold read you; but you're aware of that, so you know that I'm not reading so much into the information you would give up.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2019, 07:11:32 am »

Most of that's BS (Ignorance? Delusions of grandeur? Obfuscation of real intentions? Or maybe I'm just saying that to throw you off?), but I get the crux of your point: you say that you want to know how the players act when the game isn't on. But the problem with that, at least in my case, is that I won't put my game face on before the role PM arrives. I'm not clear, I'm not playing a town game right now. I'm always up for some pre-game banter, but there's little useful information to be gained from it. You mention D0 reads on players I know vs. players I don't, and ask how I deal with that. But that's the wrong question.

The game hasn't even begun and you've already set yourself into a WIFOM situation. Well done.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2019, 07:24:42 pm »

Still here, amidst the heated conversation. And yeah, can't play the game if you don't know your hand.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 09:09:04 pm »

Still here, amidst the heated conversation. And yeah, can't play the game if you don't know your hand.
On the contrary, the way you play the game when you don't know your hand tells me a lot about you.
Consider: you're telling me that your role will change how you will play D1. What about the people who don't look at their PM D1? You can't say that they don't know what they're doing; an awful lot of them know an awful lot about what they're doing.

Most of that's BS (Ignorance? Delusions of grandeur? Obfuscation of real intentions? Or maybe I'm just saying that to throw you off?), but I get the crux of your point: you say that you want to know how the players act when the game isn't on.
I know how the players act when the game isn't on. Authentically. But yes, I want to see what the shape of that particular beast is, since it varies so much.
But the problem with that, at least in my case, is that I won't put my game face on before the role PM arrives. I'm not clear, I'm not playing a town game right now.
That's great. Thanks, you've told me a lot. For instance: you draw a distinction between a town game and authentic action. That means you draw a distinction between a scum game and a town game within your own play. That's not a good thing to do. Why are you doing this? Is it an honest analysis of your own critically lacking play? Is it a bluff in order to strengthen later townreads on yourself? Do you really think it's safe to play such a scummy DO?
I'm always up for some pre-game banter, but there's little useful information to be gained from it. You mention D0 reads on players I know vs. players I don't, and ask how I deal with that. But that's the wrong question.
Actually, it's just not the question I want answer. But I think you intuited that.
Want an easy example?
Kit will play scummily as cop. 100%
They'll avoid making strong reads D1, act cagey and defensive, and double down on the focus on mechanical elements. There will be a strong emphasis on single points as the basis for lynches and defenses. They'll offer fleetingly into conversations, a sort of scummy activelurking that you can often see from this sort of thing. There'll be a very real movement to lynch them D1. It'll never be properly addressed or retracted and act as a kind of lingering shade over them for the whole game if it doesn't result in a lynch.
Am I reading to much into this? Not at all. You're reading too much into this. You could say this same set of things about many players cop games. It's common hole to fall into. But I know KR will fall into it. That's useful to know, because then I can increase the modality of my cop read on them. Is this important? Not very, but it can make a huge difference, so maybe it is. It's worth doing, however.
This is the second time I've written this out, because I accidentally reloaded over my own post. I've done some things wrong on purpose here, but I'm still 100% correct. I also suspect that it's the optimal play.
The game hasn't even begun and you've already set yourself into a WIFOM situation. Well done.
I'm the best, right?
You're always in a WIFOM situation. Learn to swim in it. You don't need to drink the wine, some of it will be absorbed through your skin anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28