Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Everyone is turning into necromancers.  (Read 2240 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Everyone is turning into necromancers.
« on: September 18, 2018, 01:23:18 pm »

I raided a tower some time ago, got some books.
Didn't think much of it....

Now everyone's cursed with "necromancer"....

I should've stuck to just killing Kobolds :(

Unfortunately they died the first time I raided their camp looking for GCS pets.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:43:14 pm by thefinn »

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is turning into necromancers.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:34:35 pm »

omg...

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:42:42 pm »

You need to find out which book contains the secrets of life and death and put it under lockdown, cause necro dwarves can no longer drink.
Putting the book on a pedestal is usually enough.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 01:43:45 pm »

You need to find out which book contains the secrets of life and death and put it under lockdown, cause necro dwarves can no longer drink.
Putting the book on a pedestal is usually enough.

I will give this a go. The problem being - they have been making copies of it I think.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:18:39 pm »

I suppose I have to kill everyone off before some serious fun takes over.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:27:45 pm »

If you dfhack the stress you don't have to, but immortal dwarves will stop eating and drinking, and pretty much have the physical and mental health of a heroin addict, for more or less the same reasons.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 03:36:50 pm »

If you dfhack the stress you don't have to, but immortal dwarves will stop eating and drinking, and pretty much have the physical and mental health of a heroin addict, for more or less the same reasons.

Naa I purposefully went back to 44.09 just so I didn't have to cheat the stresses ;)

In any case I'm doing a bit of !!science!! at the moment for myself and seeing what happens if I abandon for the moment and let it run itself for a while. There's 80+ dwarves and some humans in there right now and I am wondering how that'll pan out in the longer term when there must be a good 15 necromancers living there now too lol

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:01:24 pm »

Safest thing is to purge the necros and lock the book away.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 01:10:03 pm »

There's no real benefit to having a population that doesn't eat or drink, except if you embark on a glacier. In this case you would need to make a bunch of copies of the book in your "main" fort, to ensure that the first caravan brings at least one necro scroll.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 01:17:24 pm »

Bloodyhells had a case like this. Used tavern keeper to give dwarves booze.

Premise: Building a fort to put an end to undead hordes.

Result: The fort's a necromancer labyrinth with more undead than all the world's towers combined, and the surface periodically floods with magma.

It figures.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 02:21:04 pm »

You can use tavern keepers to satisfy drinking needs, but not food needs. Given the current need sensitivity, it may well be enough to push a lot of them over the edge.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 03:20:15 pm »

Would leaving out food thoughts really be enough to push dwarves over the edge though? Science is needed.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 03:38:44 pm »

Would the necromancers get bad thoughts from seeing corpses and zombies though? Or what about the caravans and new civilians getting murdered by the horde every couple months? If you thought goblin corpses from a normal siege were bad, imagine what it would be like to have those corpses giving extra undead bad thoughts all the time. Unless being a necromancer removes all corpse and undead bad thoughts, in which case this could be a powerful stress blocker (except for the food...)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 05:15:47 pm »

Would leaving out food thoughts really be enough to push dwarves over the edge though? Science is needed.
It's reasonably easy to do by not having any booze, just water (clean water, not muddy) as a substitute. Hm, come to think of it, "no decent food" is already common (as stuff like vermin brain is rather hard to come by), so probably not: it's what keeping them on the edge.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 09:07:18 pm »

Bloodyhells had a case like this. Used tavern keeper to give dwarves booze.

Premise: Building a fort to put an end to undead hordes.

Result: The fort's a necromancer labyrinth with more undead than all the world's towers combined, and the surface periodically floods with magma.

It figures.
Nietzsche seems appropriate: "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

It's reasonably easy to do by not having any booze, just water (clean water, not muddy) as a substitute. Hm, come to think of it, "no decent food" is already common (as stuff like vermin brain is rather hard to come by), so probably not: it's what keeping them on the edge.
Not lack of drink, lack of food. Meat, plants, fish, prepared meals, and whatnot. Tavern keepers provide drink but don't satisfy eating needs. Drinking and eating needs are distinct, and you can satisfy one without satisfying the other.

Would the necromancers get bad thoughts from seeing corpses and zombies though? Or what about the caravans and new civilians getting murdered by the horde every couple months? If you thought goblin corpses from a normal siege were bad, imagine what it would be like to have those corpses giving extra undead bad thoughts all the time. Unless being a necromancer removes all corpse and undead bad thoughts, in which case this could be a powerful stress blocker (except for the food...)
I'm fairly certain that the bad thought from corpses applies only to items. There are bad thoughts from interacting with zombies, something about being "horrified after being attacked by the living dead", but I suspect that this only happens in hostilities, i.e., zombie-friendly dwarves such as necromancers and vampires won't receive the bad thought.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:17:50 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2