Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Construct building: walls that are above or below and adjacent to the builder  (Read 336 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I dug a trench and want to fill it with walls, but the dwarves keep cancelling and suspending the job because from what I can tell, they need to be on the same level as the wall, they won't do it from above and on an adjacent tile to the wall. Then how do I fill in the last hole?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Water & magma to make obsidian and a cave-in of rock (which may be cast obsidian, but that's definitely overkill in your case). It's correct building requires access to a tile perpendicular to the target tile and on the same level (but the buggers can still stand on a diagonal tile and build, but only if a reachable perpendicular tile is available).

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not knowing quite what your trench is like (one tile wide, multi-tiles but you want to fill it in again as 'solid wall mass'?) and why you dug a trench and then now want no-trench (it was a temporary defence/channel forflowing liquids that you now don't want to be an obstruction/through-route?) it' s hard to say what works best for you. I could also imagine an OCD megaproject plan and/or a "getting ahead of the game-engine, building tunneller-resistant boundaries before tunnellers are even a thing". No matter.

The above solutions would work, with varying degrees of ease and practicality. And you might even consider just flooring over the last (unbuildable) tile, after presumably correctly micromanagingly slaved over getting all the rest of the walls-in-ditch built in order of doability. If you want a wall at that level, then just build the wall (won't construct on a floor-over-gap, but will build over the gap itself for intrinsically the same effect). If the void you leave in the tile below is a problem then is it a problem to dig in from the side (and/or use the spaces to the side that it must be a problem for), fill it, and fill the access to it?

Loads more ideas might come to the fore (including "just leave it, it doesn't matter if you don't mind it"?) if we knew more about the scenario and layout involved. Feel free to provide further exposition if you need to. Diagrams might help, too, if it's not just a simple trench with nothing but aesthetics requiring it filling (a perfectly valid requirement!)...

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mostly aesthetics. I want to build a town layout on the surface and have the buildings go down to the rock, so I'll try to get all those walls incorporated into more rooms with stairways. Each wall is three tiles thick so there's plenty of room to make a stairway on the corner with a hollowed pathway between each wall. I also will have a wall around the entire plot, so a wall with fortifications on the outer wall with two-wide paths on the inner and stairs intermittently placed to get to the top, is the plan. I'm trying to preserve the dirt as much as possible so I've channeled three wide tiles for all the walls. The dirt goes down four tiles until rock, so I guess I'll hollow the rock on the fifth level and build upwards with the outer wall first, then floors and stairs.

The entire thing is basically a 96x96 square with a single three wide opening where facing South where the drawbridge will go.

It's a good thing the dwarves can climb.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:41:22 pm by Bob69Joe »