Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideal crew for a bridge fort?  (Read 458 times)

Lordfiscus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideal crew for a bridge fort?
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:38:51 pm »

What dwarves should I take with me? Is Fisherman viable for fortresses with ocean tiles?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal crew for a bridge fort?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 12:21:28 am »

Oceans run out of fish with time; OP herbalism is likely still better, though that depends on your side biomes.

Anyway, depends on what you're building the bridge out of. Glass? Clear glass (you might want to bring lye)? Masonry mosaic? Magma? Metal Bridges?

When Sanctume built a bridge, he used primarily marble and set up a minecart railway to cart blocks to construction site.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:49:02 pm »

If you have ocean tiles that can freeze during the winter, consider having a "no hunting" fort. Hunters will wander onto the ice to shoot a walrus and then drown in the spring thaw.

For fishing, consider channeling an inlet like

then set "zone-only fishing" over the inlet. This will keep your fishers closer to your fort, protecting them some (if a large fish swims into the inlet and the fisherdwarf falls in, then he will have ramps to climb out). It will also reduce haulers walk time and reduce their job interruptions (waves can move the raw fish the hauler was walking towards).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:09:21 pm »

Fishers compete for the top spot in the most useless skill contest. Apparently winners of this contest are sent by mountainhome to your fort regularly.

Instead, consider giving a two or three levels in swimming to all seven starting dwarves. You probably won't use it (unless building some funny fish-catchers, catching real fish), but it will be still more useful than the fishing skill. One dwarf can easily deplete the whole lake or ocean of vermin fish, and the critical skill if you do so is the fish cleaner. But even then one is enough, just disable the fishing periodically. Don't forget the cook!

I would bring more masons and more miners, because someone must build that bridge. Masons don't build, they make blocks so the building progress quickly, and the miners provide. Also bring wheelbarrows or wood and a carpenter to make these wheelbarrows, and optionally the woodcutter, who may be the same guy as a carpenter.