Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Migrant Cap  (Read 2122 times)

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Cap
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 07:00:56 pm »

I like it (and like to use max-wave.lua to limit migrant wave size as well), but yeah it's definitely lot easier to play (though not easier as game) without having to spend hours assigning labours or having game go faster than Goatmaan's 2 fps in his aiming for 1k dwarfs forts so I can understand why you'd call it kind of cheating.

Setting it to 1 results in quite a bit more attention to births and visitor petitions, which are pretty insignificant when you get two-digit migrant groups several times a year, so it can be firmly said to do a large change to game's nature.

Yo FF, how do I go about getting that migrant wave limiter?  Is it a part of DFHack (which I never got for current ver)?

I routinely have a migrant pattern of Starting 7, 3 summer migrants, 3 fall migrants, winter, 34 second-spring migrants, 20 second-summer migrants... and it's more than a bit odd to see your fortress population more than double from a single migrant wave, and more than a small burden to suddenly have to accommodate such a pop increase in terms of available jobs, military posts and equipment.  I would love to be able to set my migrant cap to, say, "7 or 15% of the population value, whichever is higher", so that initial waves cannot swamp my ability to provide tasks, while still scaling up to larger waves as your fortress grows to accommodate them. 

Also, I get triggered when I carefully min-max my autumn and winter to give all of my dwarves valuable Moodable skill possibilities, and then a 30+ wave comes and shits all over my chances of one of the useful dorfs mooding.

Finally, 1-thousand dwarf fort?  What madness, that poor processor...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 02:17:53 am »

I've simply changed the pop cap to the current pop + 10 after each migrant wave, saved, and reloaded until I reached my desired pop size, which tended to result in about 7-9 migrants per wave. As far as I've heard, you can change the pop cap with DFHack while the game is running, but I haven't tried that. If it works it shouldn't be too hard to make a script for it for someone who's interested, but scripts require DFHack...

Goatmaan's megaproject sadly failed when the save got corrupted with no backup. Before that there were issues with stopped birth and migrants when the pop was somewhere between 900 and 1000.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 02:35:03 am »

This is something we need more control over. I think at the start the mountainhome could assume you can accommodate up to 20 dwarves and when your liaison arrives you can update him on how many additional dwarves you can accommodate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 02:42:58 am »

This is something we need more control over. I think at the start the mountainhome could assume you can accommodate up to 20 dwarves and when your liaison arrives you can update him on how many additional dwarves you can accommodate.
Migration will be overhauled when the relationship between the fortress and mountainhome is more defined during the law/society arc. That's a Big Wait after Mythgen, so quite a way to go yet. Placeholders only waste development time, so it's unlikely that new temporary mechanics will be introduced beyond 'tweak the numbers a little' until then.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 03:46:05 am »

@Lemunde: It used to work kinda like that (migration cap only updated when caravan left), but Toady made it update instantly, which allows stuff like no-migrant fortresses.

@Bradders: Yeah, it requires dfhack.

It's just a single line change, though.

If you want to do it without dfhack, you have to do it like PatrikLundell says. Keeping backups is good practice anyways....
Pages: 1 [2]