Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Race Choice  (Read 8894 times)

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
Re: Race Choice
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 08:00:17 pm »

Quote from: Yerland
Since the thread is up anyhow, I may as well mention that I retired an elf adventurer because he wasn't able to become a necromancer. Retired his ass in the tower, with the books in his hand--read them, no purple n in the status bar. I was pretty annoyed with myself.

Then I came across him later as a different adventurer and sure enough he's a necromancer.

I guess it's possible I was reading a book that talked about a book with the secrets of life and death in it, but I don't think that was the case. I understand from the wiki that books with the secrets in them always have certain words in the title, which makes them pretty unmistakable.

It's possible that book was merely a commemoration to the actual secret.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 08:20:17 pm »

That's read-bait, the origin of buzzfeed medias. You look through the shelves, you see that book "How discovering the secret of life and death changed my life ! Funeral workers HATE this book" and the book takes you on a journey about a necromancer actually discovering the secret, but never goes on telling you what the secret is.

Worst of all, it hints at a sequel.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »

Elves can become necromancers. It's just that they don't do it in worldgen.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 03:41:04 am »

To elaborate, it's because the only motivation for learning secrets during worldgen is when a creature becomes obsessed with its own mortality, which only happens when a creature is mortal. Elves live forever (due to the tree sex, so it is believed).

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 10:19:01 pm »

To elaborate, it's because the only motivation for learning secrets during worldgen is when a creature becomes obsessed with its own mortality, which only happens when a creature is mortal. Elves live forever (due to the tree sex, so it is believed).
Is that how ents are born?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race
Pages: 1 2 [3]