Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the best race to play as  (Read 5557 times)

Amdy_vill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the best race to play as
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:02:46 am »

what do you thin is the best race to play as in adventure mode. either for story or benefits.
I come from the Past where we have no knowledge of how to play Dwarf fortress.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best race to play as
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:38:34 pm »

Humans are faster than any others for their height and long legs. Elves are actually pretty short, about a bit taller, than dwarves, and goblins are smaller than dwarves.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:44:28 pm »

Dwarves can see farthest in the dark.

Any steel armor you find will be dwarf sized - unless you make some in fort mode. And I forget which other races can wear dwarf sized stuff.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:08:55 pm »

Humans are faster than any others for their height and long legs. Elves are actually pretty short, about a bit taller, than dwarves, and goblins are smaller than dwarves.
I don't think that gait speed is dependent on leg size. And goblins and elves are dwarf-sized.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 05:43:42 am »

well, the wiki actually lists all three as 60,000 cm^3 at adult.

To answere OP's question: I usuallt play dwarfs or humans. Dwarfs have this neat trick were they go into a martial trance when outnumbered, and humans have a size advantage for charging. sometimes i also play animal people, or goblins, but very rarely elves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 11:25:52 am »

I often play cougar men just for the convenience of their size - they're right between dwarf/elf/goblin and human, so they can wear any armor you come across.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:33 am »

I enjoy playing crocodile men. They're big and powerful, but not as OP as rhino or elephant men. I generally enjoy animal mej.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:13:07 am »

Gorlak.

I don't understand why gorlak is not the obvious answer. They have tusks. They are round. They even have legs and stubby arms. I just don't know what else to ask for, they are just OP

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:57:57 pm »

I usually play as humans but I do that with most games. I do find that most of the armor I pick up is under-sized so it makes it a little more difficult unless I'm hunting bandits.

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 10:10:06 pm »

Helmet snake men... until you meet anything that lacks veins. An underrated feature of elves: they don't leave tracks and they have really sensitive noses, so you can sometimes smell things that are going to murderate you on the travel map (in case you wanted to explore that little asterisk on the map and it said "strongest odor: cave dragon" and the year is 1050). Unfortunately axolotl men don't regrow limbs, but tortoise men and armadillo men have natural armor, and most insect people have lots of limbs to hack off wield weapons.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 10:24:39 pm »

Helmet snake men... until you meet anything that lacks veins. An underrated feature of elves: they don't leave tracks and they have really sensitive noses, so you can sometimes smell things that are going to murderate you on the travel map (in case you wanted to explore that little asterisk on the map and it said "strongest odor: cave dragon" and the year is 1050). Unfortunately axolotl men don't regrow limbs, but tortoise men and armadillo men have natural armor, and most insect people have lots of limbs to hack off wield weapons.

I'm... pretty sure I've seen elf tracks. Maybe it was broken vegetation or something.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 01:09:03 pm »

I'm... pretty sure I've seen elf tracks. Maybe it was broken vegetation or something.
Elves don't disturb vegetation, but they do leave tracks on grass if they have contaminants covering their feet or footwear. They also leave tracks on soft terrain like sand, dirt, and clay.