Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What tag makes creatures attack?  (Read 656 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What tag makes creatures attack?
« on: September 19, 2018, 02:06:12 pm »

I checked out grizzlies and they have [LARGE_PREDATOR]. Could I add that to wolf men, to make them violent? Specifically, I want to make wolf-men, bear-men, boar-men, cobra-men, lizard-men, and such, to attack animals, other intelligent humanoids, and the civilized races.

Found another tag that might be useful. [PRONE_TO_RAGE:10], under honey badgers. The badger also has [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]. [PREFSTRING: tenacity] and another for "fearless." Could I plug those and [LARGE_PREDATOR] into the wolf-man brackets to make them super killers?

I notice that the WOLF_MAN bracket has [COPY_TAGS_FROM:WOLF]. So, just what does it inherit? The wolf has a prefstring for cunning, and it also has the LARGE_PREDATOR tag. Will that make them violent enough, to basically attack on sight and eat things alive?

And another thing, does venom carry over from the creature tags to the cobra-men, and other venemous critters?

I just recalled that the game does have werebeasts, but I want to change the wolf-men to basically have pack habits but be as aggressive and feral wolves, kinda like permanent werewolves that now live together.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:28:29 pm by Bob69Joe »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: What tag makes creatures attack?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:43:34 pm »

For wild animals to be aggressive, and even pets (IE DOG) they need to lack a behavior tag BENIGN as this tag makes them into more docile, fearful creatures much like birds.

NATURAL will make it so AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE creatures will ignore it, and ignore them so leaving this off will make them attack whoever.

LARGE_PREDATOR will make them more aggressive, however something larger than them may still scare them (if not making them more fearful of larger foes)

PRONE_TO_RAGE is the quick and easy way to make anything aggressive as they become enraged which is like a bloodlust trance, however it can wear off mid combat and have them run (or try to run) away a bit before flying off the handle again and returning tot he fight

CURIOUSBEAST_EATER just means they steal EDIBLE_RAW items (meat, cheese, etc) doesn't make them violent

Also I don't muck with COPY_TAGS_FROM from lack of experience and the fact the CVs for animal_people don't scale in a way I like so I just make the whole creature from scratch (to be honest the COPY_TAGS_FROM is way overused in vanilla)

Venom stuff carry over, I think yes if you used COPY_TAGS_FROM as it would copy the venom material as well

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:55:54 pm »

For wild animals to be aggressive, and even pets (IE DOG) they need to lack a behavior tag BENIGN as this tag makes them into more docile, fearful creatures much like birds.

NATURAL will make it so AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE creatures will ignore it, and ignore them so leaving this off will make them attack whoever.

LARGE_PREDATOR will make them more aggressive, however something larger than them may still scare them (if not making them more fearful of larger foes)

PRONE_TO_RAGE is the quick and easy way to make anything aggressive as they become enraged which is like a bloodlust trance, however it can wear off mid combat and have them run (or try to run) away a bit before flying off the handle again and returning tot he fight

CURIOUSBEAST_EATER just means they steal EDIBLE_RAW items (meat, cheese, etc) doesn't make them violent

Also I don't muck with COPY_TAGS_FROM from lack of experience and the fact the CVs for animal_people don't scale in a way I like so I just make the whole creature from scratch (to be honest the COPY_TAGS_FROM is way overused in vanilla)

Venom stuff carry over, I think yes if you used COPY_TAGS_FROM as it would copy the venom material as well

Thank you! I'll try the "copy" tag to get the venom for cobra persons and, hoping it doesn't fumble the code, I'll add in the aggressive tags though "copy" might render them duplicate. The "rage" tag for badgers is at ten. Do you know if that is the length of time they stay enraged, so perhaps a larger number keeps them enraged for longer?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:02:13 pm »

I'm not sure what affects the duration of enragement, personaility trait VIOLENT might? but Prone_to_Rage on the wiki says it's a chance, but with previous tests idk if 100 really is 100% chance to be enraged, I remember making golems have it at 10000 which would be 1000% chance but they enraged at the same rate as badgers with 10 do. (that or I wan't paying attention enough)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:15:06 pm »

Increasing the VIOLENT and BRAVERY personality traits used to work well, but I think that it stopped working on wild animals a few versions ago.  Not sure why, I'd really like to see it brought back as that used to be my go-to method for making small creatures that are willing to attack larger ones but will run away if they are losing.

Setting PRONE_TO_RAGE as 100 should make them constantly rage.  They will lose their rage for one tick but get it back immediately after if the enemy is still nearby.  The problem with this is they will also get all of the rage effects (like increased attack power, decreased accuracy and immunity to pain) and will never flee from combat.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 06:59:25 pm »

Increasing the VIOLENT and BRAVERY personality traits used to work well, but I think that it stopped working on wild animals a few versions ago.  Not sure why, I'd really like to see it brought back as that used to be my go-to method for making small creatures that are willing to attack larger ones but will run away if they are losing.

Setting PRONE_TO_RAGE as 100 should make them constantly rage.  They will lose their rage for one tick but get it back immediately after if the enemy is still nearby.  The problem with this is they will also get all of the rage effects (like increased attack power, decreased accuracy and immunity to pain) and will never flee from combat.

Can you show me the syntax of those personality tags? I don't see any in the files, thanks! They should work fine for animal persons if not for the dumb ones, I guess.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 12:35:36 am »

I should note that prefstring doesn't actually do anything with behavior. It only changes "Urist likes [creatures] for their [prefstring]."

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token
Can you show me the syntax of those personality tags? I don't see any in the files, thanks! They should work fine for animal persons if not for the dumb ones, I guess.