Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prosthetic limbs  (Read 521 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosthetic limbs
« on: September 19, 2018, 02:15:02 pm »

So, the link above will at least specify what I mean by prosthetic. I figure a super simple way to do this would be to make "pirate" creatures that are identical to humans, except, if possible, to have peg legs or hook hands. Could I define what the material is made of, like colors of hair, and would the properties be the same for the substances that are dug from the earth?

I can't comprehend at all how to make doctors in game provide prosthetic surgery so I'll just discuss this "pirate" creature as a possibility.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prosthetic limbs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 02:34:15 pm »

You could define a "pirate" creature and give them several castes (instead of just a Male and Female caste like normal humans).  Some those castes could have prosthetic limbs, and you could define those limbs as being made of iron or what not (which would be materially identical to iron dug up from the ground and smelted).

Simulating prosthetic surgery is another matter.  At minimum you would be doing the "boiling syndrome bearing rocks" trick or creating prosthetic limb potions that transform creatures.  If you wanted anything more sophisticated than that then you would need to use DFHack, which I think might be able to simulate what you want (I vaguely recall seeing something about golems being given custom limbs through DFHack), but it would probably require lua scripting which is oh so very non-trivial.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:56:08 pm »

You could define a "pirate" creature and give them several castes (instead of just a Male and Female caste like normal humans).  Some those castes could have prosthetic limbs, and you could define those limbs as being made of iron or what not (which would be materially identical to iron dug up from the ground and smelted).

Simulating prosthetic surgery is another matter.  At minimum you would be doing the "boiling syndrome bearing rocks" trick or creating prosthetic limb potions that transform creatures.  If you wanted anything more sophisticated than that then you would need to use DFHack, which I think might be able to simulate what you want (I vaguely recall seeing something about golems being given custom limbs through DFHack), but it would probably require lua scripting which is oh so very non-trivial.

Do I have to make more castes to have different material for limbs or can that be defined right after the limb in the prosthetic class? Also, biggie here, since it's a seperate caste, will babies be born with wooden legs and hook hands? :P

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 03:12:33 pm »

Do I have to make more castes to have different material for limbs or can that be defined right after the limb in the prosthetic class?
Presuming you want your prosthetic arms to not be graspers, you would need to define your caste bodies separately with prosthetic classes getting special body parts, give all the castes the typical meat creature material/tissue templates as normal, add iron/wood as a material, and then go through each caste, select the tissues in that caste's prosthetic limbs (if any) and change them to the material you want.  I believe that would get you what you want.
Also, biggie here, since it's a seperate caste, will babies be born with wooden legs and hook hands? :P
Yes.  Your pirates would emerge from the womb with peg on leg and eyepatch on head, waving their cutlass around and singing a jolly sea shanty tune.  I for one am happy to call this a feature.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back