Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: elf with dwarf values  (Read 1050 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
elf with dwarf values
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:50:45 pm »

an elf performer request residency at my fortress and I granted it, after checking her bio, I found that she shares many values and beliefs that dwarves too, for example, "She finds nature somewhat disturbing" and "greatly respects artists and their works" I'm pretty sure that this is proof that even an elf can be born with the right ideas
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: elf with dwarf values
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:07:41 pm »

If those are the right ideas *looks at rain trauma*

Merely an elf who was born into dwarven civ is all. Happens frequently with mountainhome libraries.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:39:12 pm »

If those are the right ideas *looks at rain trauma*

Merely an elf who was born into dwarven civ is all. Happens frequently with mountainhome libraries.

yeah I know why it mechanically happened, but I like to see this as proof that some elves are following Cacame's example
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 05:31:45 pm »

try getting her to cut down a tree. normally elves get bad thoughts from that, and i wonder if that's due to culture or race

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:03:43 pm »

try getting her to cut down a tree. normally elves get bad thoughts from that, and i wonder if that's due to culture or race
That's due to valuing nature.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 05:23:33 am »

I think Dutchling was asking whether the valuing nature was due to culture or species.

If you look into the raws, you'll see that values are entirely determined by civilisation, and species is completely and utterly irrelevant for them - there is not a single "value" definition in the species raws for elves. It's the "forest" civ that values nature, and all its members (elves, goblins, dwarfs, humans, animalpeople) will default to a high esteem of nature, just like "mountain" civ members will tend to dislike nature, which includes elves born into a mountain(dwarven) civilisation.

The only remotely interesting case would be units who joined by becoming residents and then asking for full citizenship, because they should still have to some degree the values instilled in them by their old civ; in those cases, the relevant question still is which civ they came from and not what shape their ears are. (Although see above what Fleeting Frames said: libraries tend to "assimilate" visitors to adopt the values of the host fort through discussions and arguments.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:56:39 am by Larix »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 06:56:41 am »

Clarification: I meant that elves (so many elves) who go to mountainhome libraries give birth there and have their children be part of dwarven civ, not that their values change through arguing inside library.

I haven't checked what values elven scholars coming from libraries and born in FOREST civ have, so I don't know if that arguing is simulated outside of fort/adventure.