Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pregenerated map has no liquid water at Granite, starting advmode  (Read 612 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pregenerated map has no liquid water at Granite, starting advmode
« on: September 19, 2018, 07:03:53 pm »

I'm using the Middleearth, via Tolkien, map that Deon has put on DFFD, which also includes two others. The issue I am having, is that water is constantly frozen all day and my adventurer is dehydrated. Are there any variables I can alter to warm up the world globally?

I see minimum temperature is at 25, max is at 75. Though temperature meshes are on "ignored." I'll start with bumping the min up.

Since there are seasons with changing temperatures, then what does this number mean? I bumped up the min to 35 and two weeks past new year, the water is unfrozen. Is the min the coldest Winter gets and the max the hottest Summer gets?

The water freezes at night, so the Winter feel is good. The map has a northern pole only and my adventurer starts out about a fifth of the entire map, south from the pole.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:33:41 pm by Bob69Joe »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pregenerated map has no liquid water at Granite, starting advmode
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:16:39 pm »

Is there snow? You can fill a waterskin with that and melt it at a campfire. I think drinking blood might slake thirst.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »

Is there snow? You can fill a waterskin with that and melt it at a campfire. I think drinking blood might slake thirst.

Oh, ok. I forgot about snow, I think I did that once.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 06:32:41 pm »

Min and max are not for winter and summer, but broad restrictions on world's base temperatures that is assigned with pre-set temperature value and random variance there. Difference between winter and summer depends exclusively on latitude with temperate ones having the createst variance (link)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:35:03 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 08:48:25 pm »

Min and max are not for winter and summer, but broad restrictions on world's base temperatures that is assigned with pre-set temperature value and random variance there. Difference between winter and summer depends exclusively on latitude with temperate ones having the createst variance (link)

Alright. I can get that. What I would prefer is that creatures in colder climates don't get thirsty as often.

I set the min at 70 and so it stays that way at least all year and in the latitude of my fortress, it must not reach much past 80. Winter came along and there were fewer plants growing and the trees exhibited red plumage but never became bare.