Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killed the law-giver of a human civilization, wat do  (Read 1727 times)

Megaman3300

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Killed the law-giver of a human civilization, wat do
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:43:15 pm »

Title says it all. I just staged a military coup of a human civilization, but for some reason couldn't assume the title of law-giver. I did, however, take over the town, and get a bunch of hearthpeople, so uh.... what do I do with them?

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
Re: Killed the law-giver of a human civilization, wat do
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:45:08 am »

You don't become the law giver of that faction. Some random dude or lady is instantaneously elected by the civ's population, somehow. Instead, you form a group that belongs to your own civ and the group that belonged to the law-giver's civ. Also the law-giver isn't in charge of the site: there should be a lord or lady who actually is in charge. Human rulers are basically landless elected kings and queens who have to live with their richest baron.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:42:46 pm »

... Some random dude or lady is instantaneously elected by the civ's population, somehow...
... Human rulers are basically landless elected kings and queens who have to live with their richest baron.
Even outside of CK2, Gavelkind succession finds a way to ruin lives and waste hours of effort.
literally the worst idea since trepanning
Instead, you form a group that belongs to your own civ and the group that belonged to the law-giver's civ.
So that means OP just founded their own entity, with blackjack and hookers or is it still technically the same nation? If Olith von Revolutionary were to retire and not die for two weeks, could you make adventurers that are distinctly part of the secessionist group and not part of the parent entity?
More importantly, exactly how does this new group expand its territory? If he simply claims sites for himself and then passes off the lordship of each new group to a subordinate, is that group a part of his own conquering group or a new, independent group? Does he need to force the legitimate ruler to give tribute to his own group instead?

so uh.... what do I do with them?
Do as a golfer does and Play through. Alexander Charlemagne that shit. Figure out what it's going to take to establish hegemony and then forge your personal feudal empire. Document it, especially the part where it inevitably falls apart, and post it all to the forums for glory.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 12:49:58 am »

I believe when you make a claim you form the equivalent of your own city government (which I think is called a "site entity").  The parent civ is the civilisation that you belong to.  This doesn't mean that you rule the territory, but you can see the entity in legends mode under "Civilisations and Other Entities".  If you claim a site and manage to wait until a 10 year boundary is crossed, you can even see the influence for your home civ being placed on the "Historical Maps" in legends mode.  However, if you ask the surrounding populous about the ruler, they are likely to *still* refer to the previous civ -- that's because the site does not change civilisation hands unless it is destroyed.

To destroy the site (make it a ruin), you must kill all of the government officials in the town.  However, as previously stated, this will usually just result in a new government official being nominated.  You can keep killing them off and eventually they will have to send an expedition to take over the ruins.  It is possible (but unfortunately unlikely) that your civ will beat them to the punch -- because dwarfs are notoriously slow about that kind of thing.  Goblins, on the other hand, are pretty opportunistic and I've had a few gobbos take over ruins that I created.

Interestingly, while the city is a ruin, you can hand over the title of lord to one of your companions (I often conscript one of the locals just for this purpose).  Then you can run around spreading the rumour of the crowning of the new lord.  Eventually, all of the people in the area will claim that this person is the ruler -- however, it doesn't make the town un-ruined and only lasts until some expedition comes and reclaims the site.  The one thing I haven't tested (and has been on my TODO list for a while) is once you've won over the whole populace, and the ruined site gets reclaimed by a different civ, is it easier to start an insurrection?  Not that it really does any good, but it might be interesting.

Essentially this stuff is unfinished, and it is practically impossible to get in a situation where you are the actual ruler.  However, you can mess around a fair amount and generate some interesting situations.  If you are waging a personal war against a civ, ruining their towns over and over again is a pretty effective way of hurting them.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 08:16:33 pm »

You don't become the law giver of that faction. Some random dude or lady is instantaneously elected by the civ's population, somehow. Instead, you form a group that belongs to your own civ and the group that belonged to the law-giver's civ. Also the law-giver isn't in charge of the site: there should be a lord or lady who actually is in charge. Human rulers are basically landless elected kings and queens who have to live with their richest baron.
It’s not random at all, there is proper family succession so their children or lower governmental figures will take control.

This was a major major part of the world activation update. Hearthpeople can also inherit.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:18:11 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com