Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: They Who Dare: The Empire of Schwarzes Holz - Kaiserliche Luftjäger  (Read 20967 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: They Who Dare: The Empire of Schwarzes Holz - Kaiserliche Luftjäger
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2019, 04:01:29 pm »

Quote from: Revisions
AvDD.I/15 SBD.II Adderbolt (2): Thanik, Madman
BpM.11-50/100/250 (2): Thanik, Madman

Not sure about the bomb one, actually. It seems like it risks overreaching when we really should just be revising the Navy's shell into a bomb-with-deployment-method. I'm surprisingly OK with the OTHER revision because it's useless this turn anyway. If we roll low or it's insanely difficult or both, we just redo it next turn with less components or with more experience, whichever we feel is easier/more possible.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2019, 11:54:48 am »

AvDD.I/15 SBD.II Adderbolt (3): Thanik, Madman, Stabby
BpM.11-50/100/250 (3): Thanik, Madman, stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2019, 07:42:53 pm »

AvDD.I/15 SBD.II Adderbolt (4): Thanik, Madman, Stabby, Jilladilla
BpM.11-50/100/250 (4): Thanik, Madman, stabby, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2019, 07:45:31 pm »

AvDD.I/15 SBD.II Adderbolt (4): Thanik, Madman, Stabby, The Ensorceler
BpM.11-50/100/250 (4): Thanik, Madman, stabby, The Ensorceler

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2019, 07:50:11 am »

Posting to fix the votebox.

AvDD.I/15 SBD.II Adderbolt (5): Thanik, Madman, Stabby, Jilladilla, The Ensorceler
BpM.11-50/100/250 (5): Thanik, Madman, stabby, Jilladilla, The Ensorceler
Noble Nafuni Engineer

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2019, 08:29:54 pm »

Revision Phase, Early Spring 1915
AvDD.I/15 SBD.II Adderbolt
Final production variant, awaiting ZhS-8A production.

Given progress on the Rohesde ZhS-8A engine, the Luftjäger was tasked with modernizing it's fleet of Adderbolts so that they can accommodate the new engine and handle the stresses involved in its operation. Given the almost total finalization of the engine, exact measurements and specifications were on hand for the design team, making it possible to take into account what was needed and wanted for the penultimate Adderbolt model.

While the fuselage is only improved in terms of aerodynamics somewhat, the wings are redesigned and toughened to handle the kinds of maneuvers that the final production AvDD.I/16 SBD.II will be put under, at the same time improving the craft's roll rate and maneuverability in general due to more sturdy control surfaces compared to the SBD.I. The rear wings are shortened and raised, forming a kind of cruciform "tail wing" that'd still produce 20-30% of the total lift, keeping the SBD.Is tandem layout in that way. Retractable tricycle landing gears are added, taking inspiration from the Drachen and SBD.I prototypes. An integrated radio and parachute are made standard issue equipment for the plane. To further enhance its lethality, two GL-12 machine guns are added to the wings, close to the fuselage, and the craft's fuel stores are increased. It's four GL-12s are given an increased capacity of 1000 rounds each. Overall, the plane promises to be a marked improvement over the SBD.I Adderbolt in even his state, and one that would surely only get better with the adoption of the ZhS-8A Teufel.

tl;dr restructure the wings to handle the Taufel; include integrated radio, landing gear and parachute, add 2 more machine guns.

Efficacy: 5

The SBD.II Is more or less what we wanted done in the time we had. A Adderbolt with better aerodynamics and the ability to mount the Teufel without there being a risk of the wings snapping off at cruising speed. Of course, that wasn't all but that was the most important parts of what we were doing. We did a good job we would say. The craft is somewhat more agile and moderately faster than before with the old 230, though it would likely be more so if we didn't put in the radio, however we expect that with the Teufel the craft will become extremely fast, radio or not. Speaking of, we did integrate a radio in just under the instrument panel as we had with the older SBD's, and landing gear were modified to retract into the craft via the use of human muscle and a crank like with the Drachen, just with much more ease to do due to the simple fact that the gears are much much smaller. The last thing of note we managed to get into the design is the fact that we managed to stuff two more machine guns into the wings by the fuselage...We did do some work on trying to get the parachute into the aircraft, but we were unable to do such a thing before the time allocated was up. It does cost a bit more to produce normally than the older model however...Costs 1 PP to upgrade a SBD.I Without Teufel, 2 with, also costs 1 to upgrade a SBD.II without Teufel to one with a Teufel.

Durchfallen Bruchpunkt M-11-50/100/250 (BpM.11-50/100/250)
The goal of this revision is to work off the 180MM-09-57KG-HE shell instead of the ill-fated M-08 bomb so as to allow on-demand bombardment from the skies with specially modified aircraft, such that they may contribute more meaningfully to the situation on the ground with three different sizes available for different mission profiles - a 50, 100 and 250 kg warhead respectively. What's more, it works off the experience gained from the M-09 and M-10 bomb study to actually finish that program in a decent manner. Work is also to be done so that cheap holders for said bombs are available at insignificant cost for the Adderbolt in the form of clamps actuated with a lever. This is done with the goal of gaining some experience in their construction so that they can be incorporated into future designs more easily, and so there's a solution ready for the Adderbolt at no extra cost, so that the bombs are the only thing the Luftjäger has to worry about when operating Adderbolts in a CAS role.

Efficacy: 1

Apparently, there is something wrong with our engineers. After the first two times trying this, we should have managed this without a issue, and honestly at this point its embarrassing. For some reason, our engineers failed to do well even when they had a shell that doesn't explode!...Well, it doesn't explode when you don't want it to unless something else explodes near it or something along those lines...Still! The point still stands, the explosive team was completely incompetent and have all been sacked and given the boot. Luckily, the new guys, despite having limited time to work on the project, were in fact able to get a basic bomb and a basic hard point to go with it, though they only were able to make the 50KG bomb due to the limited time, and heavier payloads will have to wait for now. The hard points are attached to a lever which when pulled lets the bombs fly...

Thank the heavens we finally have something to show for our work...

Durchfallen Bruchpunkt M-11-50: A 50 KG bomb that comes with a bomb clamp which lets the bomb go with a pull of a lever.

It is now the Production & Deployment Phase. You have 14 Production Points remaining.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:47:10 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2019, 11:52:55 am »

Quote from: Plan 'Adderscourge 2.0: Electric Boogaloo'
Fiscal Budget
Scrap:
2x FEiV-12M - 1 PP
Purchases:
2x Durchfallen Bruchpunkt M-11-50 - 2 PP
Upgrades:
Schurk - AvDD.I Adderbolt SBD.I -> AvDD.I/15 Adderbolt SBD.II w/ M-11-50
Rote - AvDD.I Adderbolt SBD.I w/ Fallschirm -> AvDD.I/15 Adderbolt SBD.II w/ Fallschirm
Gold - AvDD.I Adderbolt SBD.I w/ Fallschirm -> AvDD.I/15 Adderbolt SBD.II w/ Fallschirm
Rudel - AvDD.I Adderbolt SBD.I -> AvDD.I/15 Adderbolt SBD.II w/ M-11-50
Angesehen - AvDD.I Adderbolt SBD.I -> AvDD.I/15 Adderbolt SBD.II
Löwe - AvDD.I Adderbolt SBD.I-> AvDD.I/15 Adderbolt SBD.II
Kriegsmäid - AvDD.I Adderbolt SBD.I w/ Fallschirm  -> AvDD.I/15 Adderbolt SBD.II w/ Fallschirm

Expenses:
Starting Budget:  +22 PP
Bonuses:             +0 PP
R&D:                   - 8 PP
Scrap:                 +1 PP
Purchases:           - 2 PP
Upgrades:            - 7 PP
Maintenance:        - 6 PP
Left Over:              0 [optimally] PP

Rationalization: So we've got this new shiny plane with a lot of dakka and a lot of death on it. How about we share with the Prens?

Strategy & Execution

General Orders
Generally mundane stuff like "don't be a fucking idiot".
Front-specific Orders
Central Front:
Schruk and Gold are to use their SBD.IIs to support the offensives towards Bont Gwyn and Cwymp cyflym. Rote and Kriegsmaid are to engage all and any enemy aerial assets and take them down with impunity to guarantee aerial superiority.
Western Front:
Rudel is to provide close air support by guiding artillery strikes via their radios and dropping bombs when asked to by ground forces - mainly at Dunklerfelsen. Angesehen is to obliterate any and all opposition in the air.
Eastern Front:
Löwe is to commit to anti-shipping attacks via their bombs against the enemy navy. Launch, find enemy fleet, radio in to friendly fleet. Engage enemy fleet, then use radios to help the friendlies range on the enemy fleet. Maybe shoot some balloons down while you're at it if there's any on the group of ships you're attacking.

Eastern Front
Löwe
Central Front
Rote
Schurk
Kriegsmäid
Gold
Western Front
Rudel
Angesehen
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:00:56 pm by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2019, 12:02:29 pm »

Quote from: Le Vote
Plan 'Adderscourge 2.0: Electric Boogaloo': (2) Madman, Thanik
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2019, 12:49:42 am »

Plan 'Adderscourge 2.0: Electric Boogaloo': (3) Madman, Thanik, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2019, 03:54:05 am »

Plan 'Adderscourge 2.0: Electric Boogaloo': (4) Madman, Thanik, Jilladilla, The Ensorceler

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:34 am »

Plan 'Adderscourge 2.0: Electric Boogaloo': (5) Madman, Thanik, Jilladilla, The Ensorceler, Stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2019, 04:38:16 pm »

Design Phase, Late Spring 1915
There are new aces, Ikku Takamaru, Magobei Hada, Natsume Hayashi, and Torazo Fujioka, in Angesehen Geschwader. And Romke van Bergenaar in Rote Geschwader.

Angesehen Geschwader of AvDD.I/15 Adderbolt SBD.II's over the Western Front are now at Regular experience level.

The Admerals are pleased with the result of the battle that happened, as while they didn't sink the newly launched LFM Marchog, they were able to damage it enough that it should be out of action for a month or two along with sinking a few distroyers other ships. They would like more aircraft, specifically dedicated bombers.

The generals on the central front are pleased, but would like more aircraft to speed up their advance, perhaps a few bombers.

The general in charge of defending Dunklerfelsen is extremely thankful for your work, confident that at the very least you bought the city another month before fighting hits its streets. He would like more aircraft to possibly push the Prens back, or at least hold the wolves at the door so to say.

The general in charge of defending Sprungburg requests more dedicated aircraft to support his forces, as while Dunklerfelsen should be a priority, it would be wise not to have two cities on the verge of falling to enemy hands.

High command has increased your budget by 3 PP, as the country devotes more factories to war.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:05:52 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2019, 05:12:48 pm »

Alright. We've achieved total aerial superiority with the SBD.II but we can still get better if we upgrade our fleet with Teufels. Another issue we are facing is the fact we're in a perpetual shortage of aircraft for the army's and navy's needs - which is expected given our budget and status. Should at least be easy to upgrade due to the prestige we've built up and the fact we've shown ourselves to be quite capable.

So let's continue the trend. Winning another season of outright devastating victories (almost 7:1 win:loss ratio last season) will both break enemy airforce morale; set them back and give us a break where we can work on the Drachen and supplies we need to win without being pestered. We can also enlarge our fleet every two turns at no extra expense, or every turn if we're willing to work with a perpetual 14 PP budget like we have been for the entire game thus far.

I thus propose the following for this turn - focus on revisions and upgrades to our fleet. No work on the Drachen right now; as we've better things to do, and we can fix the Drach while we're doing them. A tentative plan includes the following points:
  • Finish work on the Teufel and upgrade our current fleet. This shouldn't take more than 1d6 (83.33% chance of success) and would cost 2+7*1 PP (9 PP in total) to practically boost our entire airforce in terms of capabilities.
  • Upgrade our radio via revisions, attempting to either make them cost no extra cash (ready upgrades) or at most 1 PP (would cost us a few PP for the ones that actually need the radio). Aim for range and reduced size.
  • Buy another SBD.II squadron to help out the West front or aid the navy in the East. Either way; we're going to need to assign more squadrons to these fronts for support and diverting resources from the center is an option given we can own the skies with less than what we've put in last turn. (Costs 6 PP)
Accordingly, things we ought to do include:
- Making a twin-row Teufel for that sweet, sweet >1200 hp, despite not having an aircraft that can handle it right now other than the Drachen, for the experience.
- Making a variety of bomb sizes for more effective support - as our current bombs aren't the most accurate. They're better than shells, but let's be real. We got them on a bad roll. We can do better.
- Fixing the landing gear on the Drachen early, while we're still ahead.
- Making observation gear.
- Working on voice radios. At least get some groundwork started.
- Work on a supercharger based on experience gained from making the ZhS-8A. That certainly helps in that regard.

On top of maintenance (7 PP), this already costs us 15-18 PP, which is our entire budget. Wha'cha think boys?

Noble Nafuni Engineer

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2019, 10:51:08 am »

Sounds good, correct me if I got your plan wrong; was doing something else and figured I should do this here before I forgot it (again).

Quote from: Votebox
1 Die towards the Teufel (1): Jilladilla

Spend 1 die total (1): Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2019, 03:49:53 pm »

So what I meant is we should look to spend all our dice this turn. The list included some points I'd like to see get done, in no particular order, other than the three main points. The following revisions represent a few options.

FEiV-12M Revamp Project
Given the enemy has also obtained aerial telegraphy for their aircraft, the Luftjäger must upgrade its fleet to ensure an advantage in long range scouting; allowing aircraft to move further away from the main fleet when scouting, or otherwise from the frontlines of a battlefield - deeper into enemy territory. The goal of the project is to make the FEiV-15M lighter and longer ranged; while attempting to keep it a relatively cheap upgrade to the FEiV-12M already installed on SBD.II Adderbolt airframes.

ZhS-16A "Doppelteufel" (40.36 L D75/30)
As development of the ZhS-8A had come to a close, the Luftjäger and more specifically the Roheshmiede-Dehnert company had obtained the most powerful reliable engine in the world - but there was yet more to be achieved. Funds were assigned to pursue a two-row radial engine based on the Teufel which was slated to achieve between 1260 and 1360 horsepower, using the engine's thermal characteristics to its advantage so as to achieve a higher specific power. Cooling of the rear bank is made easier by both the higher thermal efficiency of the engine and the added water cooling system in place around the original Teufel, which may take over in case heat buildup in the rear occurs during high stress operation.

While this engine may not be useable within the current line of SBD.II fighters; it would surely provide immense advantages to the in-development Drachen and future fighter aircraft.

Luftunterstützungspaket
The goal of this revision is to work off the M-11-50 bomb to be more accurate and to make 50, 100 and 250 kg warheads available to the airforce. The bomb clamps that come with the base variant are improved to increase reliability and reduce release time, while the rudimentary bomb sights available to the pilots are refined.

Rohesde ZBg.I A1/15 Repairs
Work is done on the Drachen airframe to fix issues with the landing gear that have cropped up during its rushed development and make them easier for maintenance, somewhat reducing the Drachen's costs.

Will write up the rest of the ideas posted later. Someone else could also do some of them.

Quote from: Votebox
1 Die towards the Teufel (2): Jilladilla, Thanik

Spend 1 die total (1): Jilladilla
Spend dice on revisions (1): Thanik

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:52:08 pm by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15