Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: They Who Dare: The Empire of Schwarzes Holz - Kaiserliche Luftjäger  (Read 20972 times)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: They Who Dare: The Empire of Schwarzes Holz - Kaiserliche Luftjäger
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2018, 04:10:45 pm »

Requisition: Portable Radio Set
To address communications issues and to allow for more detailed scouting, we humbly requisition several of the portable radio sets manufactured for the army by the preeminent Schwares Holz electronics company Industrielicht und Magie. With these radios, information about current enemy positions can be relayed to ground and sea forces, instead of only vague hints of future preparations.
Quote from: Design Votes
AvD D.I "Adderbolt": (1) The Ensorceler
Quote from: Requisition Votes
IluM Portable Radio: (1) The Ensorceler

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2018, 04:25:21 pm »

So the wing-mounted guns aren't going to add much difficulty (if any since we can just reuse our mount as-is, except permanently locked in the forwards direction and with a longer connecting string. Yes, the present gun mount does indeed use a string to pull the trigger on the gun itself), unless I'm much mistaken. Again, if designing a new (for us!) means of providing propulsion and venturing into an entirely new field of aerodynamics will surely add more difficulty than using an old mount in a new place.

Yes, the pusher-tandem-wings proposal certainly has a lot going for it, but it also adds more difficulty than the puller-tandem-wings option. And anyway, I've made a proposal that is literally just your D.1 proposal except with the optional wing mountings (remember that we can choose whether or not we fill these mountings, unless I'm mistaken and need to write a bit more into each design) for additional machineguns. Having more firepower (if you need it, anyway) is almost always a good thing, after all.

I'll vote later, either for the D.III if people vote for it, or the D.IV if people want the tandem-and-pusher design.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2018, 06:22:47 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Design Proposals

Dehnert Adderbolt D.I (AvDD.I) (2): Thanik, The Ensolceler
Dehnert D.II (AvDD.II) (0):
Dehnert D.III (AvDD.III) (1): Madman
Dehnert D.IV (AvDD.IV) (1): Madman

Project R&D

Invest once and rush progress on the Dehnert 9B (1): Thanik
Invest once in the Dehnert 9B (1): Thanik
Do not invest in the Dehnert 9B (0):

Requisition:
Don't requisition anything (0):
IluM Portable Radio (2): The Ensolceler, Thanik
Noble Nafuni Engineer

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2018, 11:46:11 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Design Proposals

Dehnert Adderbolt D.I (AvDD.I) (3): Thanik, The Ensolceler, Stabby

Project R&D

Invest once and rush progress on the Dehnert 9B (2): Thanik, Stabby

Requisition:

IluM Portable Radio (3): The Ensolceler, Thanik, Stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2018, 04:46:50 pm »

Design Proposals

Dehnert Adderbolt D.I (AvDD.I) (3): Thanik, The Ensolceler, Stabby

Project R&D

Invest once and rush progress on the Dehnert 9B (3): Thanik, Stabby, The Ensorceler

Requisition:

IluM Portable Radio (3): The Ensolceler, Thanik, Stabby
[/quote]

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2018, 06:05:47 pm »

Quote from: votebox
Design Proposals

Dehnert Adderbolt D.I (AvDD.I) (4): Thanik, The Ensolceler, Stabby, DGR

Project R&D

Invest once and rush progress on the Dehnert 9B (4): Thanik, Stabby, The Ensorceler, DGR

Requisition:

IluM Portable Radio (4): The Ensolceler, Thanik, Stabby, DGR
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2018, 11:59:15 pm »

Schwarzes Holz Design Phase, Late Summer 1915
Dehnert Adderbolt D.I (AvDD.I)
Following the adoption of the 160 hp Dehnert 9B radial engine and the incoming gearing of his company for its production, Stefan Utrecht set out to design an iconic aircraft to fit the powerplant and bring much-needed prestige to the Kaiserliche Luftjäger, of which his colleague had now become a member. The aircraft needed to be a noticeable improvement over the arguably outdated Motte - something on-par with vessels showcased in the European theatre, but distinct, so as to win the skies for the Empire.

Stefan thus tasked Andreas with designing a single-engined open-top single-seat aircraft, calling it the Dehnert Adderbolt. The result was a bit more developed - made to be a sturdy wooden monocoque aircraft, aerodynamically designed to maximize top speed and maneuverability, featuring a high-set front wing and low-set rear wing supported with a thicker wing root and a few wires, fixed tricycle undercarriage, and a pusher propeller, with the engine in the rear of the fuselage and the pilot sitting in the front of the fuselage - armed with not one, but two fixed 7.62 mm GL-11s. The wings would thus be arranged in this way to reduce the overall span of both wings (and the tail is thus removed, in favor of placing the vertical control surfaces on the wingtips and making full use of the two wing surfaces for control), increasing the craft's maneuverability dramatically while making up for it with the added lift afforded by the Adderbolt arrangement. Further perks would ostensibly be the shorter take-off and landing runs this craft would face and the impossibly difficult task of stalling such a machine, making the aircraft more forgiving to high AoA maneuvers and saving the lives of numerous pilots in the process. To further aid in the craft's controllability, ailerons are to be developed so as to keep pace with the enemy and placed on both wings. Having seen the promise of the design, Stefan filed the patent for the Dehnert Adderbolt D.I* with the Luftjäger and awaited the reward that was sure to come.

Time: 6 | Progress: 6 | Expense: 3

Work on the new aircraft starts off surprisingly quickly, possibly due to the engineer's enthusiasm for the new project or simply due to the planning possess of what schedule to stick to was finished in record speed and said schedule was very effective. Either way, work goes quite quickly, though with the limited supply of Dehnert engines and the requirement of specially cut wood, the project is expected to be a bit costly. A few engineers also argue that the thing should be called the VD.I or the Zw.I due to it certainty not being a Doppledecker

Dehnert Adderbolt D.I (AvDD.I) | 6/13 progress | 3 PP per die | Rushed 0 times | 3 PP invested

Effectiveness: 5 | Cost: 1 | Bugs: 6

The AvDD.I is an oddly shaped aircraft that most would say is unconventional and strange with its wings in what is called a Tandem wing set up supported with wooden struts and powered with a pusher set up using the Dehnert 9B and, unlike the Motte, uses a Monocoque construction set up and specifically comes with machine guns, and two of them right in front of the cockpit that can easily at all times be unjammed and is, similarly to the mounting on the Motte, fired by a trigger on the flight stick. Naturally, the guns being right next to the pilot should make aiming a bit easier...

In terms of how well it actually flies, the prototype that was built showed it goes quite a bit faster then a Motte, even one tested with a Dehnert 9B thanks mostly to its aerodynamic design, though that speed drops down as it gets higher in altitude. As for maneuverability, it should be able to roll and turn faster then even the enemies modified Saeth, the AGC-AMD. Needless to say, this weapon really is what Dehnert planned to make, something on par with European aircraft but very distinct, and certainty something one can tell apart from anything else in the sky.

However, despite this, there is an issue in terms of cost. The engineers with their designing may have gone a bit overboard on the 'making it distinct' part of the design, as they decided that the design needed to be made out of at least some ebony wood for both Patriotism and moral reasons. Needless to say, this makes it just a bit more expensive then it should be...Still, costs can be cut. And a few engineer's salary's too.

AvDD.I Adderbolt: A singe-seater tandem wing aircraft that instead of canvas and wood is purely made of wood with a Monocoque design and powered by the Dehnert 9B engine in the pusher configuration. The Adderbolt mounts two machineguns in front of the pilot for easy unjamming and aiming. It's quite fast and maneuverable due to its small size. Most of the aircraft is made out of high quality ebony for moral and patriotism. Cost 7/3.

AVD Motors Dehnert SMT 915 (1 die spent, 1 die rushed)

Progress: 1+6+3 = 10/10. 6 PP spent
Despite the work on the new AvDD.I Adderbolt taking the center stage, the engineers continue to work on the engine, although with forced overtime and longer work weeks. While the engineers are certainty careful in their work and would much rather work on the aircraft then the engine, they certainty do work hard on the new engine and quickly, managing to just about finish up before it was time to move on to other things.

Project Complete! You can now retrofit Motte's with the new engine for 1 PP, all future Motte's will come with the engine as well.

Army Requisition: Radio
The army seemed fine to give you a Industrielicht und Magie portable radio, unfortunately they didn't seem to give you the right model, or maybe they did as they wanted to keep the good stuff for themselves...Either way, the old model given is called IluM-12M a spark-gap transmitter radio with a small frequency range from 300 to 450kHz and a fairly short range a bit under 5 kilometers, luckily it is only 22 kilograms without the battery and 34 kilograms with it, which is better then some older radio's. It does include a crystal receiver and headphones and using Morse code, though its a bit quiet and as such headphones are included with it. Needless to say, these radios where carried by a team and usually where used for setting up communications with breakthroughs in the lines. Still, its not too bad, and due to its size and the spares the army has, its not that expensive

IluM-12M: An outdated radio that weighs 34 kilograms with the battery and 22 without that uses a spark gap transmitter and crystal receiver for Morse code at frequency's of 300 to 450 kHz. Costs 1 PP.

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 1 die remaining to spend on Revisions or Save for the next turn.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:14:01 am by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2018, 02:56:00 am »

Revision: GL-11B Luftdonnerkanone
A once over by our engineers has revealed that the GL-11s we have been given are an old design and not a very good one at that.
Rather than begging for more a more modern version, we can simply make some updates of our own to render it more suitable for air to air combat. Firstly, we can build the guns a bit heavier since nobody needs to carry them. Beefing and stiffening up parts for less rattle and warp should take care of the jamming problem. Secondly, with the jamming problem cleared up the gun can be cranked to a much higher rate of fire without risk.

Revision: Radio Aircraft Adaptation
Mounted on a short extension of the propeller axle, any plane engine can become host to an electric generator. These new Stromgenerators will allow us to run radios and other helpful electronics without relying on battery power. The batteries can stay for emergencies, but the ILuM-12M will be modified to draw much more power to boost its range. In parallel, the antenna will be enlarged and incorporated into the structures of any plane that carries it in order to use the increased power supply.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2018, 04:39:36 am »

I'm probably voting for the radio revision, but I'm writing these down for later (so I don't have to get off my lazy ass with next turn's revisions :P).

Revision: Dehnert Adderbolt Price Adjustment
While Andreas' enthusiasm was warmly accepted by the Luftjäger, and his plane, the D.I Adderbolt, passed all tests with flying colors, it, in its current form, is just too expensive for the contract given to AvD. Although they'd permit the ebony variant of the aircraft to be sold without armament and featuring a different radial engine for luxury needs, the reality of combat requires the plane to be relatively expendable - so that the Luftjäger can afford to replace its losses and better maintain their growing fleet. For this purpose, a request for a more common material to be used in the construction of the plane is made - under the condition that it does not hamper the capabilities of the airframe. What's more, analysts indicate that the reduced mass of the wood, if it were possible to keep it at the same thickness while keeping the same structural integrity, would further increase its top speed or lifting capacity.

Revision: BzL-2 Motte Biplane
Following the development of the Adderbolt, the Motte is revised to improve it's aerodynamic profile (minimizing drag) and so as to implement advances in control surfaces (increasing top speed and maneuverability). Further improvements include the integration of a Forden-mounted machine gun so that it is not a separate purchase and can be easily fitted in the factory while attempting to, via gearing, keep the same price so as to save costs in the long run until the Adderbolt is put into production. (Automatically applies to current BzL-1s as an upgrade)

Quote from: Revision Votebox
Revision Proposals:
Dehnert Adderbolt Price Adjustment (0):
GL-11B Luftdonnerkanone (0):
Radio Aircraft Adaptation (1): Thanik
BzL-2 Motte Biplane (1): Thanik

I'm fine with either option, really, but I feel as if the BzL-2 would have a more immediate effect.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:27:14 am by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2018, 06:22:29 pm »

Revision Proposals:
Radio Aircraft Adaptation (2): Thanik, The Ensorceler
BzL-2 Motte Biplane (1): Thanik

So... Thanik and I came up with a very silly plan on the Discord channel. We can rush the Adderbolt and produce 2-3 squadrons of them way ahead of schedule if we spend all our PP and sell some stuff. This means we couldn't afford to start a design next turn. Instead, all 5 dice would be revisions to the Adderbolt or to equipment it uses. Because this is going to affect the entire next turn, we should decide whether or not to do it this turn.

Quote from: Unofficial Votebox
Hidden Technique: Pimp My Ride(1) The Ensorceler
Anything But That: Please Don't

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2018, 10:34:34 am »

Revision Proposals:
Radio Aircraft Adaptation (3): Thanik, The Ensorceler, TFF
BzL-2 Motte Biplane (1): Thanik, TFF
Hidden Technique: Pimp My Ride(2) The Ensorceler, TFF

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2018, 10:39:58 am »

Revision Proposals:
GL-11B Luftdonnerkanone (1): TTE
Radio Aircraft Adaptation (3): Thanik, The Ensorceler, TFF
BzL-2 Motte Biplane (1): Thanik, TFF
Hidden Technique: Pimp My Ride(3) The Ensorceler, TFF, TTE
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2018, 10:41:17 am »

Revision Proposals:
GL-11B Luftdonnerkanone (2): TTE, Madman
Radio Aircraft Adaptation (4): Thanik, The Ensorceler, TFF, Madman
BzL-2 Motte Biplane (2): Thanik, TFF
Hidden Technique: Pimp My Ride(4) The Ensorceler, TFF, TTE, Madman
No sense in burning a revision on that if we're *not going to use it* after next turn.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2018, 11:58:06 am »

Revision Proposals:

Radio Aircraft Adaptation (5): Thanik, The Ensorceler, TFF, Madman,Stabby
Hidden Technique: Pimp My Ride(5) The Ensorceler, TFF, TTE, Madman, Stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2018, 01:41:53 pm »

GL-11b Luftdonnerkanone (proposal 2)
A comprehensive to the outdated Donnerkanone, the GL-11b modification updates the mechanics of the gun to reduce jamming to be a nonissue for most guns. It also raises fire rate and adds tracer rounds to belts, with an incendiary compound ignited on firing to provide a slow but visible burn as the bullet flies towards the target, greatly improving accuracy.

Revision Proposals:

GL-11b Luftdonnerkanone (proposal 2) (1): Madman
Radio Aircraft Adaptation (5): Thanik, The Ensorceler, TFF, Madman,Stabby
Hidden Technique: Pimp My Ride(5) The Ensorceler, TFF, TTE, Madman, Stabby
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15