Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: They Who Dare: The Empire of Schwarzes Holz - Kaiserliche Luftjäger  (Read 20517 times)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: They Who Dare: The Empire of Schwarzes Holz - Kaiserliche Luftjäger
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2018, 11:57:44 pm »

Requisition: Artillery Shells
They're big bombs that explode on impacts after falling. I'm sure if we drop some on the Gwynnians they'd feel it.

Quote from: Plan 'Release the Dragonflies'
Design Proposals
None

Project R&D

Invest once and rush progress on the D.I Adderbolt (5): Thanik, TFF, TTE, Stabby, The Ensorceler
Invest once in the D.I Adderbolt (0):
Do not invest in the D.I Adderbolt (0):

First Revision:

Dehnert Adderbolt Price Adjustment (4): Thanik, TFF, TTE, Stabby

Requisition:

Don't requisition anything (0):
Artillery Shells (1): The Ensorceler

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2018, 12:01:34 pm »

+1 for 100 lb arty shell
Noble Nafuni Engineer

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2018, 12:09:15 pm »

+3 for 100 lb arty shell, From thanik, myself and madman

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2018, 12:29:21 pm »

Aand another +1 to the artillery shell because I can't be bothered to quote the post.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2018, 01:43:09 pm »

Schwarzes Holz Design Phase, Early Autumn 1915

D.I Adderbolt (1 die spent, 1 die rushed)

Progress: 6+5+5 = 16/13. 6 PP spent

Work on the Adderbolt continues at blistering speed, partially due to the fact that the engineers where forced to sit down and stay up for many late nights working on the project. Still, they manage to finish their work on the project and have a week or so to spare, waiting for the response from the factory's to say they are ready and retooled to make the new craft...Said week was mostly spent with a few engineers "accidentally" misplacing ebony branches, planks, or logs on a few head engineers desks...

Project Complete! You can now deploy as many squadrons of D.I Adderbolt's as you can afford.

Revision: Dehnert Adderbolt Price Adjustment
While Andreas' enthusiasm was warmly accepted by the Luftjäger, and his plane, the D.I Adderbolt, passed all tests with flying colors, it, in its current form, is just too expensive for the contract given to AvD. Although they'd permit the ebony variant of the aircraft to be sold without armament and featuring a different radial engine for luxury needs, the reality of combat requires the plane to be relatively expendable - so that the Luftjäger can afford to replace its losses and better maintain their growing fleet. For this purpose, a request for a more common material to be used in the construction of the plane is made - under the condition that it does not hamper the capabilities of the airframe, which should be easy (the plane is small, currently made of much denser wood than what we'd optimally want and the latter is the only issue as of right now). What's more, analysts indicate that the reduced mass of the wood would further increase its top speed and maneuverability.

Efficacy: 4

The work on making the D.I Adderbolt not cost an arm and a leg because of excessive use of ebony was one that was kind of difficult to actually do and the engineers who really wanted it fought tooth and nail for it, arguing that the Ebony wood would increase the aircraft durability along with the additional moral and patriotism benefits, and they even managed to get the Pilots involved who, naturally, would indeed like a stronger aircraft. Eventually after some threats to cut pay along with pilots worry's being brushed aside ebony was removed for more easy to get wood, however this has not in fact improved the performance of the aircraft, just made it cost less. Though, that doesn't mean we cant do anything to improve its abilities later...The final effort results in the D.I Adderbolt being reduced to a purchase cost of 5 PP per squadron and 1 PP in maintenance.

Army Requisition: Artillery Shells
As it turns out, the army isn't actually too willing or pleased to hand over artillery shells for a number of reasons, those being three quite simple reasons they need every shell they have, they still use most shells they have, even the outdated ones, and lastly, because they don't really want to. Still, they do in fact give you a shell, but its not outdated or obsolete, its a discontinued old shell that really was terrible known as the M-08-45KG "Selbstmord-Hülse", the latter part of its name isn't actually official, its just a nickname that it was given and has stuck with it because as it happens it has a nasty tendency to explode violently when not handled as gently as a new born baby, and even then occasionally explodes. The shipment of plans and example shells was actually delayed due to the cargo and transport needing to be replaced after a bump in the road... Costs 1 PP

M-08-45KG "Selbstmord-Hülse": A shell that true to its nickname tends to explode, violently, at even the most minor of disturbance. Still, its a 45KG artillery shell, so there is that...Costs 1 PP

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 3 die remaining to spend on Revisions or Save for the next turn.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:00:05 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2018, 06:04:37 pm »

Alright! We got what we wanted - meaning we can afford to buy not 2, not 3, but FOUR Adderbolts this turn, meaning that for the first time, we'll be able to push somewhere extra hard. Where else than where we lost last turn?

Now, we were going to pimp out our gear with the remaining revisions. I propose the following:

Still left to do:
- Bomb Proposal (10, 25 & 45 kg packages, more stable) + Bomb Rack
- Pilot Survivability & Comfort Revision

Revision: GL-12 Luftdonnerkanone
The GL-11B is revisited once again, this time to further improve upon its characteristics. Specifically, the goal of the project is to increase the rate of fire and introduce better sighting equipment to the weapon platform while keeping its reliability and weight intact, if not improved. To achieve this, the engineering team is instructed to attempt several changes to the design - most notably, introducing a perforated aluminium cooling jacket over the barrel, connected via cooling fins to accelerate radiative heat loss and allow the weapon to fire at speeds more fitting for aerial combat, approaching upwards of a 1,000 rounds per minute. To further complement this higher rate of fire, a reflector sight is developed so as to ease aiming for the airman.

Revision: Schlanke Beleuchtung Adderbolt (Sleek Lightning Adderbolt)
(Dehnert Adderbolt SBD.I)
As the name suggests, the goal of this revision is to introduce various improvements to the Adderbolt's airframe so as to improve it's general characteristics and make the plane more maneuverable, faster and sturdier in general. Work is done to fuse the wings with the fuselage, using a thicker airfoil to allow a larger and stronger structural spar along the inside of the wing, which in turn allows the wing to be cantilevered from the fuselage without any external support wires and struts. An anhedral dihedral is established on the upper wing to contribute to maneuverability in the roll and yaw axis, allowing the aircraft to perform tighter maneuvers. Retractable landing gear is even attempted to reduce drag, allowing a higher top speed.

Revision: Herstellung Adderbolt (Production Adderbolt)
(Dehnert Adderbolt HD.I)
This variant of the improvement package sought only to improve upon the aircraft's general characteristics - still attempting to form the wings flush with the fuselage with a thicker, larger spar. The rest of the effort is diverted towards maximizing top speed and survivability by experimenting with the fuselage; using different types of wood, trying out different shapes etc. An upper wing anhedral dihedral is also attempted here.

Revision: FEV-12M (Funkgerät Einschalten Verpackung; formerly the Radio Aircraft Adaptation revision)
Mounted on a short extension of the propeller axle, any plane engine can become host to an electric generator. These new Stromgenerators will allow us to run radios and other helpful electronics without relying on battery power. The batteries can stay for emergencies, but the ILuM-12M will be modified to draw much more power to boost its range. In parallel, the antenna will be enlarged and incorporated into the structures of any plane that carries it in order to use the increased power supply.

Revision: AvD Motors Dehnert SMT 915 'Blitz 230' / Dehnert Blitz 915
Attempting to produce the paramount radial of the year, AvD motors gives it's workhorse - the Dehnert 9B - another glance. Additional fuel and air valves are added to each cylinder to increase engine flow, the engine block is re-done in aluminium, and various engine tunning is done with both the camwheels and timing, as the company attempts to reach 2000 RPM and an engine output of roughly 200-250 hp, marketing the engine as the 'Blitz 230', which was chosen as the middle-of-the-road power estimate by the company's marketing team, and Stefan himself. Andreas' complaints about how the upper value of 250 hp was wishfull thinking at it's finest were neglected in favor of the catchy name it'd give the engine, although he was assured it would be a notable improvement.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:44:48 am by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2018, 06:05:22 pm »

Quote from: Plan 'Pimp My Ride'
Revision Proposals

GL-12 Luftdonnerkanone (3): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler
Schlanke Beleuchtung Adderbolt (0)
Herstellung Adderbolt (3): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler
Dehnert Blitz 915 (3): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler
FEV-12M (0)
Noble Nafuni Engineer

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2018, 09:55:24 am »

Revision Proposals

GL-12 Luftdonnerkanone (4): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, TTE
Herstellung Adderbolt (4): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, TTE
Dehnert Blitz 915 (4): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, TTE
FEV-12M (0)
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2018, 11:42:24 am »

Revision Proposals

GL-12 Luftdonnerkanone (5): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, TTE, Stabby
Herstellung Adderbolt (5): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, TTE, Stabby
Dehnert Blitz 915 (5): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, TTE[/size], Stabby
FEV-12M (0)

Might as well toss in my two cents
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2018, 03:37:09 pm »

Schwarzes Holz Revision Phase, Early Autumn 1915
Revision: GL-12 Luftdonnerkanone
The GL-11B is revisited once again, this time to further improve upon its characteristics. Specifically, the goal of the project is to increase the rate of fire and introduce better sighting equipment to the weapon platform while keeping its reliability and weight intact, if not improved. To achieve this, the engineering team is instructed to attempt several changes to the design - most notably, introducing a perforated aluminium cooling jacket over the barrel, connected via cooling fins to accelerate radiative heat loss and allow the weapon to fire at speeds more fitting for aerial combat, approaching upwards of a 1,000 rounds per minute. To further complement this higher rate of fire, a reflector sight is developed so as to ease aiming for the airman.

Efficacy: 6

The GL-12 Luftdonnerkanone, or rather, Luftblitzkanone is exactly what we set out to do, it is a fast firing air cooled machine gun that is light, has a built in reflector sight, and is just as reliable as the old GL-11. Pilots have refereed to the gun as the Luftblitzkanone instead of the Luftdonnerkanone for the sake of a greater difference between the two guns then a single number. The gun is different enough that it cant simply be made from a easy and simple field conversion of the GL-11, but they don't cost any more then the old gun, and thanks to the work of one engineer, they have replaced the main armament of the Adderbolt without any difference to the aircraft's cost.

Revision: Herstellung Adderbolt (Production Adderbolt)
(Dehnert Adderbolt HD.I)
This variant of the improvement package sought only to improve upon the aircraft's general characteristics - still attempting to form the wings flush with the fuselage with a thicker, larger spar. The rest of the effort is diverted towards maximizing top speed and survivability by experimenting with the fuselage; using different types of wood, trying out different shapes etc. An upper wing anhedral dihedral is also attempted here.

Efficacy: 1

As it turns out, most of the experimentation with the fuselage to make the aircraft more survivable predictably ignored the speed part and jumped right into making the craft out of the wood that shall not be named at this time. The ones who decided to try making it as fast as possible tried to make a aircraft out of Balsa, ignoring the survivability part. Both sides actually seemed to be in a kind of rivalry, with Balsa being left on those trying to make Ebony, and Ebony on those trying to make the aircraft out of Balsa...Long story short, both sides failed, and the only design that was an attempt to make something that was the best of both worlds was never actually made into a prototype due to other engineers getting in the way. Also, any engineer caught to be leaving any bit of wood on anyone elses desk is to receive a fine at this point...

Revision: AvD Motors Dehnert SMT 915 'Blitz 230' / Dehnert Blitz 915
Attempting to produce the paramount radial of the year, AvD motors gives it's workhorse - the Dehnert 9B - another glance. Additional fuel and air valves are added to each cylinder to increase engine flow, the engine block is re-done in aluminium, and various engine tunning is done with both the camwheels and timing, as the company attempts to reach 2000 RPM and an engine output of roughly 200-250 hp, marketing the engine as the 'Blitz 230', which was chosen as the middle-of-the-road power estimate by the company's marketing team, and Stefan himself. Andreas' complaints about how the upper value of 250 hp was wishfull thinking at it's finest were neglected in favor of the catchy name it'd give the engine, although he was assured it would be a notable improvement.

Efficacy: 2

The AVD Motors Dehnert SMT 915 'Blitz 230' / Dehnert Blitz 915 is still a work in progress. The work on the Dehnert 9B has slowed down to a crawl, or so it has been reported. Some major reworks have been attempted but most seem to be in a area where they aren't juuuust right like they should be. So far, a lot of lessons where learned as to what not to do, but it is reported that we will probably need to give them another month if we wish to actually get our engine. Still, they aren't empty handed, as the Dehnert 9C as its called, is able to get to 180 HP, based on a few minor modifications to the old engine that actually worked and didn't require a major overhaul with little gain. Needless to say, such a thing can easily be replaced on the already upgraded Motte's and the Adderbolt...

It is now the Production & Deployment Phase, you have 11 Production Points remaining

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:59:52 am by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »

Quote from: Plan 'Adderblitz'
Fiscal Budget
Scrap:
3x BzL-1 Motte-SMT w/ GL-11B - 7.5 PP
1x GL-11B - 0.5 PP
2x IluM-12M - 1 PP
Purchases:
4x AvDD.I Adderbolt
Upgrades:
Schurk -> AvDD.I Adderbolt
Rote -> AvDD.I Adderbolt
Gold -> AvDD.I Adderbolt
Rudel -> AvDD.I Adderbolt

Expenses:
Starting Budget:  +14 PP
Bonuses:             +0 PP
R&D:                   - 3 PP
Scrap:                 +9 PP
Purchases:           -20 PP
Upgrades:             -0 PP
Maintenance:        -0 PP
Left Over:              0 PP

Rationalization: So the revision phase got us half of the stuff we wanted, but luckily what we did get is a free upgrade to the stuff we already have, so we now have 4 cutting edge squadrons with what we've developed this turn - namely the 180 hp Dehnert 9C and the GL-12 Luftblitzkanone - which should only aid in their lethality (already great as it may be!). With four squadrons, we can thus attack extra hard on a single front, for which I nominate the western front given I expect the enemy to repeat last year's naval invasion. Setting out our new Dragonflies to do some hunting should do great for our experience.

Strategy & Execution

General Orders
All pilots are to actively hunt out enemy aircraft and scout ground activity behind enemy lines if no enemies are sighted. At a minimum pilots will stay with their wingman or, if their wingman is shot down to join as a third with an intact pair or join another singleton to form a new pair.
Front-specific Orders
None

Eastern Front
Schurk, Rudel
Central Front
Rote
Western Front
Gold
Quote from: Decisions
Question: A recruiter puts forward the suggestion of letting Feldwebel Nicholas von Rheinbach have some time off the front lines and possibly sent to speak to newspapers so everyone can know of the new hero of the skies. [Prestige ++]

Decisions:

Accept Suggestion (2): Thanik, Madman
Dismiss Suggestion (0):
Quote from: Votebox
Plan Votes:

Adderblitz (2): Thanik, Madman
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:38:25 pm by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2018, 06:59:23 pm »

Plan Votes:

Adderblitz (3): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2018, 08:43:44 pm »

Plan Votes:

Adderblitz (4): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, Stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2018, 10:07:01 pm »

Question: A recruiter puts forward the suggestion of letting Feldwebel Nicholas von Rheinbach have some time off the front lines and possibly sent to speak to newspapers so everyone can know of the new hero of the skies. [Prestige ++]

Decisions:

Accept Suggestion (3): Thanik, Madman, TTE
Dismiss Suggestion (0):
Plan Votes:

Adderblitz (5): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, Stabby, TTE

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2018, 10:24:36 pm »

Oh, right, the Ace thing.

Decisions:

Accept Suggestion (4): Thanik, Madman, TTE, The Ensorceler
Dismiss Suggestion (0):
Plan Votes:

Adderblitz (5): Thanik, Madman, The Ensorceler, Stabby, TTE
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15