Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: They Who Dare: The Principality of Pren Gwyn - Gwylio Awyr Brenhinol  (Read 17773 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: They Who Dare: The Principality of Pren Gwyn - Gwylio Awyr Brenhinol
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2018, 05:20:07 pm »

I'm a fan. You think we should make some bomb racks for our craft?

Avanti!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2018, 10:11:43 pm »

I would feel it would be better suited to mod the Archer for this sorta role, perhaps going full turret fighter with its gun armaments, and defiantly incorporating bombs or rockets as its main ground-attack weapon.

With the enemies new fighters,and out still limited production power, I would suggest focusing on multirole and all-up fighter aircraft over(as much as it pains me to say) long-range craft.

it also sounds like some form of reflex sight has been made by the enemy.

So, my preliminary ideas for the turn:
>design a new aircraft(possibly fighter, probably just a major upgrade of the Archer already), possibly monoplane, equipped with our radio, new gun shamelessly ripping off Karl Gast's work, equipped with a reflector sight and, if we are going for any sort of ground-attach shenanigans, rockets or bombs in the design.
>Upgrade the armament in the Archer, probably with two guns on the Ring instead of one, a new, larger engine, that friggin radio, and bombs or something
>>If new design is upgraded Archer, some form of added groundtraining. Tandem control Archer? Early version of the Link Trainer?
>Build atleast one other balloon for the last front, possibly work towards two per front/service.
>Get armed aircraft for every front. If possible, work twards assigning aircraft to the army to "use as they see fit"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2018, 02:25:45 am »

All those turret fighters you linked were built in the thirties. I'm not convinced that this game is following the ICAR tech improvement scheme, but I could be wrong.

I also like the look of the Link Trainer, but again, it's ww2 tech and I didn't think we could improve our base training level.

I left spare space, as in Knight of the Sky most additional equipment (Like radios and bombs) that weren't inherent to the design could be fitted to existing planes separately. If that's not the case here then I can change it, but I didn't want to over complicate the project when the goal was to get a ground attack plane out quickly.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2018, 11:15:31 am »

On the turret fighter, I was referring specifically to their armament scheme, which should itself not be out of our reach. The Link trainer is, at most, interwar tech, but then is geodesic framing fer aircraft. As fer there not being a way to improve base training, considering instructors who do not much more than say how to take off and land are a resource...
 On the Horseman, I think that Joe is aiming for a more nitty setup than the Knights, given when we upgrade guns or whatever it doesent upgrade everything using them.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2018, 11:27:26 am »

One of the first comments was asking if we could improve those facilities, and the response was negative outside of an event.

That, again, is a similar thing to what Knights did. May be worth throwng up a GM bat signal to get confirmation one way or the other though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2018, 11:43:03 pm »

If I remember correctly, it was a "hell no" to anything boosting design/production on our own, and a "yes" to basic training. Ill go see if I can dig it up on Discord.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2018, 11:36:45 am »

Right, to get all this going, Im gonna just suggest a thing because I cant figure out how to get an general archer upgrade thing as a non-design.

So, lets get a bomber/transport as a proposial, with upgraded engines and weapons hopefully being able to be integrated into existing designs.

Quote from: LDA ABC15 "Clogfeini"
Labordai Dylunio Awyrennau's "Clogfeini" bomber is a radical departure from local aircraft design, being a twin-tailed forward-staggered, two-bay, wire braced constant chord, tapered outer dihedral biplane (with solid wings noless, with small fueltanks built within) powered by two wing-mounted engine pods each containing two 18-cylinder double-bank rotary engines(REW's newest offering)  in tractor-pusher configuration intended to be operated by a crew of atleast 6(10 preferred) and equipped with mounting points for no less than 6 sets of machineguns(nose, tail, dorsal, ventral-ish and two casemated, one on each side, of which the nose, tail, and ventral mounts contain the new "Cadwynog ŷd AGAA ACD15"(details below). The nose and dorsal mounts are ring mounts, the others are holes with mounting hardware) intended to carry up to 750lb of modified artillery shells in a central bay(able to be amed via modified plotting tables and a version of the Drych sight utilized in the AGAA ACD15) and be equipped with both a GW78 Radio and a Llygad Hir Camera. Apparently the whole thing is based off of a Russian designed commercial airliner that flew even prior to the start of the great war, suitably updated(according to the design notes) with the best aircraft design techniques including improved geodetic framing(including sections made of metal framing as opposed to simply wood) and improvements on our movable control surfaces.
Quote from: Cadwynog ŷd AGAA ACD15(Part of the above)
The "Chained Corn" is a two-corn(2/3 inch, 16.76mm) "machinegun" based off of two identical streightpull firearms setup so that the firing and subsequent recoil of one breach-barrel set operates the action and allows the fire of the other, in essence a modified long-recoil action. The weapon is intended to feed from twin belts(one per weapon). Between the two breaches is also mounted an early "Drych" sight, based upon a lit set of "Gwe Lines" reflected through a lens onto an angled glass plane, allowing the lines to be used to sight the weapon.
 Ammunition designed with it are FMJ, tracer rounds, and a APHE round.

I do need Joe to tell me if this all works, since well, theres a bunch in it. If Im reading things right, its how it needs to be done, but Im not sure.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2018, 12:09:24 pm »

That thing is gonna be hella expensive, but I can see the appeal. I think I'd prefer something a bit cheaper and simpler though.  I'm concerned that will sap our resources both to develop and field.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2018, 02:00:13 pm »

Yeah, its mostly there for development of stuff to shove in other designs, since I am under the impression we cant just go "hey, we take an archer, and design in about half of it again".
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2018, 04:32:57 pm »

Getting a voteblock going early.

Quote from: Vote Blockage
Cefyll | ():
Clogfeni | (1):AseaHeru
No design this turn | ():
Highly Opinionated Fool

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2018, 04:40:26 pm »

Cefyll | ():
Clogfeni | (2):AseaHeru, Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2018, 05:13:06 pm »

Cefyll | (1): Kashyyk

We only have 11 PP spare. If the Clogfeni costs 3 PP per die (not unreasonable, considering it's complexity), we'll only be able to afford two dice per turn on it if we want to launch any new squadrons as well. And at two dice per turn, I'm convinced it will take four or five turns to complete it. Better to have a simpler project completed sooner.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2018, 05:32:41 pm »

Actually, theres an important question. Do some element of a design get finished before others, researchwise? That would be interesting to find out.
-edit-
The answer is, infact, yes. More risk of issues integrated things that are underdevelopment into existing designs, but it can be done.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:20:30 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2018, 03:31:45 pm »

Cefyll | (2): Kashyyk, D7