Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Suggestions About What the Game Needs to Not Have  (Read 42921 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions About What the Game Needs to Not Have
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 10:17:46 am »

I especially like how the OP is Batman.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 10:23:02 am »

Previously I've respected the Tarn brother's wish to work on the game independently but surely having read this no-one here could possibly argue that they should not immediately assign the OP to an official directorial and/or quality control position as a bare minimum.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 10:24:26 am »

Unfortunately, the OP doesn't care about making games. He'd rather play golf or something.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 10:25:01 am »

Previously I've respected the Tarn brother's wish to work on the game independently but surely having read this no-one here could possibly argue that they should not immediately assign the OP to an official directorial and/or quality control position as a bare minimum.
Unfortunately, the OP doesn't care about making games. He'd rather play golf or something.
Imagine DF with golf physics. The very thought is palpable.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 10:28:30 am »

The spinning +pigtail mitten+ strikes Urist in the head leaving Bomrek three under par.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 10:35:52 am »

I don't like golf.

- Difficulty settings / handicaps.
- In-game tips. Calling things a "sand iron" or a "putting wedge" are dead giveaways. There are also tutorials galore. Plus, on the course, there are ample people (inluding a blatant tutorial character called a 'caddy') who will hand out hints (even if unwanted) about what you're doing. That's clearly a hacky solution by the devs.
- Maps, compass: there are maps and golfers have used compasses.
- Stealth meter, awareness meters - flag on the pin indicates wind direction
- 'Fast travel' features - golf carts
- Predictability - the holes don't magically move around, you can learn the course.
- Turn-based - you take turns hitting your ball, which is clearly bullshit. A proper game would have simultaneous play.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 10:46:35 am »

Hm...Compelling points. At least DF can fix some of golf's glaring faults by procedurally generating the equipment for each world and giving them unfamiliar names. The player then has the fun of working out whether, for example, a Borik, which consists of an hourglass metal drum with a leather head, is used to strike the Jrilmis, a glass bell with a single low pitch and a full wavering timbre, or vice-versa.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 10:58:01 am »

Hm...Compelling points. At least DF can fix some of golf's glaring faults by procedurally generating the equipment for each world and giving them unfamiliar names. The player then has the fun of working out whether, for example, a Borik, which consists of an hourglass metal drum with a leather head, is used to strike the Jrilmis, a glass bell with a single low pitch and a full wavering timbre, or vice-versa.
That sounds like an artificial 'learning curve' only intellectually illoopyrate people would want. But myself, I have long ago designed a flawless game with greater depth and complexity and 1/2001th of the work output. I'm not a game designer, but I have it all set out on graphing paper. I'm not going to let anyone to see it, though, since they'd just steal my ideas.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 11:09:31 am »

Those damn third party tools ruining this pure game experience. You get a lazy newb starter pack and it's exactly what it says; quel affront! All you had to do dwarf fortress, was one thing - ONE THING and you completly fucked it up... How hard can it be to feature no toturial? I mean sure it's an outdated nothingburger, but then you had to go mention the damn thing anyways, fail. Just ban all youtubers and ddos the wiki FCOL how hard can it be. I'm still generating that same seed from DasTactic's totus only to repeat his contriving step-by-step lists, you would not believe the amount of work it is to dupe his maps from the little intel we got, and all I ever end up with after all that work is the same sterile example sitting around at a random place doing nothing. What a waste of time.  Have you got no pride stupid dwarf fortress players? When it's obvious to a person with no brain how easy this game is before ever playing it. And wtf is it with google answering questions these days, if I type in: "fastest way to play dwarf fortress" it's not supposed to fucking tell me ffs..

I'm not a waste of time because I agree.  8) The only thing left to say is: "how to uninstall dwarf fortress?"
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 11:13:27 am »

I'm so excited for the next OP post
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 11:15:37 am »

The only thing left to say is: "how to uninstall dwarf fortress?"
Do you need a tutorial?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 11:20:36 am »

The only thing left to say is: "how to uninstall dwarf fortress?"
Do you need a tutorial?

IT'S NOT MY FAULT IF YOU DON'T LISTEN! Go learn to play 3D first, before you talk back to me, birds-eye-view player
let

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 11:57:11 am »

Spoiler: "Door 1" (click to show/hide)
---- OR ----
Spoiler: "Door 2" (click to show/hide)
---- OR ----
Spoiler: "Door 3" (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 01:33:11 pm »

The only game I can think of that fulfills all of those criteria is Adventure and that's a classic so OP might be on to something
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 01:39:18 pm »

Is it possible to laminate and frame a  forum post to save it for later appreciation?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11