Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Player made sites protect from nightcreatures?  (Read 3014 times)

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
Player made sites protect from nightcreatures?
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:41:47 pm »

As the title says. I've not tested this yet as it's now late here and I'm sheltering from my local bogeymen. Would a player made site provide the same protection as a proper settlement? If so, would a single wooden block do the trick or would an actual shelter be necessary?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Player made sites protect from nightcreatures?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:59:50 pm »

You need to designate a room as a hall for it to work.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:50:26 pm »

All you need is a single "indoor" tile. A wall with a floor built overhead as a simple canopy would do the trick.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 10:39:32 pm »

An add-on to ShinQuickMan's post:

If you want to produce player-made sites that act as layovers in-between destinations, this could mean using 1 or 2 logs. A single log as a floor/ceiling if you use a pre-exisiting soil-wall, or 2 logs if you must erect a wall yourself.

Carrying 1-2 logs in your pack like a DF adv Mode "tent kit" has its merits, especially if you grant yourself enough time to put up two 1 unit constructions before night falls. Downside is map-wise, you've made an odd station-to-station "DF mass transit system."

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 12:53:01 am »

I think this is pretty cool though.  I've always thought that making the journey from the mountain homes to immigrate to a fortress must be daunting.  So I've often retired my newly made fortresses and then had an adventurer immigrate from the mountain home to the fortress building camps along the way.  To me that is a very realistic thing that would happen.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 08:23:56 pm »

All you need is a single "indoor" tile. A wall with a floor built overhead as a simple canopy would do the trick.
This is correct
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 09:09:49 pm »

The bogeyman thing feels arbitrary and contrived, so I just turn it off. There are enough other annoying things to manage with adventure mode that I just don't miss them very much.

If climbing a tree to sleep or building a campfire worked and worked reliably, I would consider just doing that. Building a train of new sites all over the place just doesn't do it for me.

That is one thing I enjoy greatly about DF. Many things that are too annoying to deal with can be disabled or changed.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 05:47:25 am »

I think this is pretty cool though.  I've always thought that making the journey from the mountain homes to immigrate to a fortress must be daunting.  So I've often retired my newly made fortresses and then had an adventurer immigrate from the mountain home to the fortress building camps along the way.  To me that is a very realistic thing that would happen.
The bogeyman thing feels arbitrary and contrived, so I just turn it off. There are enough other annoying things to manage with adventure mode that I just don't miss them very much.

If climbing a tree to sleep or building a campfire worked and worked reliably, I would consider just doing that. Building a train of new sites all over the place just doesn't do it for me.

That is one thing I enjoy greatly about DF. Many things that are too annoying to deal with can be disabled or changed.

Only did it that one time for a run in July-Aug 2016. It was fun, building lodges to "lily pad leapfrog" along the way, but from fall 2016 onward, I reconsidered what roleplaying a D&D-esque ranger character "should be" like (YMMV, but IMO solitary character, must sleep outside anywhere/anytime), and never genned a world with bogeymen again.

From a gameplay perspective, once it's been problem solved (how/when to handle those little pesky night gremlins), it eventually becomes a chore to fight them as fighting mobs is tedious.

That's probably the case for all sorts of things though, as the sliding scale moves from (this thing is) *interesting* to (awful) XXslogXX.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:50:47 am by peasant cretin »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 03:27:13 pm »

usually those migrants are in neatly packed groups so one could think they get around the cackling via having companions, though all those hill dwarves probably a case of some mirgant group setting up a camp and building more upon that.

oh the subject of bogeymanism and removing them, uhh wonder if the idea of weaponizing them is too much of an hassle. is it one of those novelties a player would do once then never again?
given the whole spiderfolks don't get attacked by them but will cause the cackling, and that elves don't have any protection against them in their own homes, one could just work around ambushes through waiting at night and hoping they pop up to beat up everyone else. then you combine necromancy to the mix and the chance of getting a bogeyman companion through necromancy is a 1 tick frame set up.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:55:42 am »

I have been hoping for a long time for something different to be done for Bogeyman...Many years. To this day, nothing has been done, and Rumrusher always seems to find the thread that mentions them lol

I guess you can say this can be consistent.
But really, the night creature change SHOULD have handled them, they were honestly a good amount of player early complaints. And I agree, they are arbitrary, in a game that focuses on mostly non arbitrary (or non spontaneously generated) cause and effect.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 05:26:07 pm »

Unless the night creature in question is a monster of twilight or night troll, who are night and morning travelers. The roof alone above your head will not be enough. You'll get wrestled and your head will be a comfort for its teeth. :P :D

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 04:05:04 am »

Unless the night creature in question is a monster of twilight or night troll, who are night and morning travelers. The roof alone above your head will not be enough. You'll get wrestled and your head will be a comfort for its teeth. :P :D
Bunker made with fortifications instead of doors so when the event of an night troll attack happen you can just jump out of the bunker and trapping the night troll in, how to build such a bunker.

"body swapping and YOU!"

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 08:32:28 am »

Still, consider you are jumping out during night, so bogeymen will spawn on you automatically then...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 09:14:23 am »

Still, consider you are jumping out during night, so bogeymen will spawn on you automatically then...
they don't spawn on you automatically(it takes awhile) and besides... a good emergency roof addon would solve that issue.
still kind of an weird scenario of waking up to night trolls in your bedroom, jumping out of the bunker to enter the cackling and bogeymen spawning in. I have some feeling that the cackling is on some timer that checks to see if the player is alone at night outside before triggering.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 05:16:16 am »

Make it a double bunker where you can jump into the other half. Even better if you can pick up rocks to throw.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:18:16 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2