Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dungeon Master Unit for Improving Worlds  (Read 3758 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Master Unit for Improving Worlds
« on: September 25, 2018, 06:24:14 am »

Is there a Mod which provides a Dungeon Master Unit which can move extremely fast, fly, invisible and perform all tasks(or as many as allowed)?   With this type of unit and DFHack I see the potential for improving worlds which can be played by other gamers.   Any other traits or abilities which can be added to the Dungeon Master Unit?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:25:50 am by NTJedi »

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Master Unit for Improving Worlds
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:28:09 pm »

What's that? Does it, like, spawn stuff as if the player is on a quest and fulfilling objectives?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:32:39 pm »

What's that? Does it, like, spawn stuff as if the player is on a quest and fulfilling objectives?
It's to build a fortress easily and adventure through it later, I think. Spawning stuff is impossible.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:32 pm »

You could just copy the dwarf race and add flying to the creature. I have no idea about invisible, or if that exists. It's not to hard to modify how strong the creature should be if you give it like iron body parts or better, someone's certainly done it before because of the colossus gives you enough info to do it.

While spawning stuff is not impossible with dfhack(quite sure) but it could be done with workshops(custom made ones), maybe even create a new item which is equivalent to dungeon points/crystals, you'd take corpses to a workshop and it'd give you dungeon points/crystals which you'd spend at another workshop. Almost sounds like a cool mod.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 06:13:45 pm »

Hello.

I like to recreate towns and dungeons from old rpgs like Might and Magic. Is that what your aims are, to have some utility that slaps complete dungeons onto the map?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 10:27:09 pm »

Hello.

I like to recreate towns and dungeons from old rpgs like Might and Magic. Is that what your aims are, to have some utility that slaps complete dungeons onto the map?
There's a complete world editor coming (one day) that will let you do that.
While the game gets more and more procedural (with sliders) it will also get more and more moddable as people want control over their fantasy worlds. Along with that thinking, Toady mentioned an editor which he'll add so you can make fixed worlds, sites, myths, artifacts, etc. Perhaps not with Mythgen pass 1 (although Toady once said it was possible at it seems fun) but certainly later.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 08:59:44 pm »

Hello.

While the game gets more and more procedural (with sliders) it will also get more and more moddable as people want control over their fantasy worlds. Along with that thinking, Toady mentioned an editor which he'll add so you can make fixed worlds, sites, myths, artifacts, etc. Perhaps not with Mythgen pass 1 (although Toady once said it was possible at it seems fun) but certainly later.

That sounds pretty swell. Might and Magic has the same dimensional geometry as DF and I'd like to recreate a map of Xeen.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:38:26 pm »

It's to build a fortress easily and adventure through it later, I think. Spawning stuff is impossible.
Actually there's a DFHack script collection which includes spawning creatures and normal DFHack commands allow for adding liquids and other stuff.

You could just copy the dwarf race and add flying to the creature. I have no idea about invisible, or if that exists. It's not to hard to modify how strong the creature should be if you give it like iron body parts or better, someone's certainly done it before because of the colossus gives you enough info to do it.

While spawning stuff is not impossible with dfhack(quite sure) but it could be done with workshops(custom made ones), maybe even create a new item which is equivalent to dungeon points/crystals, you'd take corpses to a workshop and it'd give you dungeon points/crystals which you'd spend at another workshop. Almost sounds like a cool mod.
I'm thinking a ghost type unit which covers flying and would prevent me from accidently killing things on the map I'm adjusting as they engage combat with my unit.  I know the game has stealth which hides units, but ideally I would want invisibility so archers are not wasting arrows, bolts and other ranged attacks as I move thru the enemies which have better defenses.  I can take control of a creature with DFHack, but I would need my ghost dungeon master to remain frozen and hidden until ready to leave.

I think if Toady was going to live as long as elves the world editor would be completed -one day-, but based on what's planned and progress being made within the game... I have doubts we will see an editor.  At this point Toady should be training two hardcore devoted developers which promise to continue the games evolution because if an unexpected tragedy removes him from this world then the evolution of the game ends(except for mods). Obviously these two developers would have to work for free because of love for the game... at least until Toady has passed the torch to them where they continue the same donation method being used today.

… … ...
The dungeon master would modify a randomly generated world... such as:
A) making bridges between islands (perhaps bridges guarded by enemies).
B) balancing areas near the starting location so the player won't die during day one... and locations far away from the starting location provide greater challenges.
C) balancing the items, armor and weapons near the starting location so you don't start with iron armor before walking outside and providing better stuff at locations further away.
D) Using pressure plates to setup puzzles or types of traps.
E) Adding custom gods into the map using DFHack Script Collection.
F) Raising skill levels and placing armor on the main enemies in the map.
G) Placing trapped princesses on the map who need to be rescued
H) Setting up minecarts and tracks used as trains for traveling long distances
I) Creating an undead demon necromancer or dracolich
J) Creating ancient mysterious locations
K) and the list goes on and on and on.

Once finished it would provide a more interesting world for gamers.  Ideally I would like to leave messages to help the adventurer, schedule future events such as major battles between races and custom quests but those don't seem possible with DFHack options. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:55:07 pm by NTJedi »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 11:16:13 pm »

I think if Toady was going to live as long as elves the world editor would be completed -one day-, but based on what's planned and progress being made within the game..   
It's planned as part of the Mythgen releases. That's before any of the following big development blocks of Law/Society, Boats and Economy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:18:02 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 12:00:35 am »

I think if Toady was going to live as long as elves the world editor would be completed -one day-, but based on what's planned and progress being made within the game..   
It's planned as part of the Mythgen releases. That's before any of the following big development blocks of Law/Society, Boats and Economy.
A good game editor needs many easy to use options so if it's going to be good it would be much more time consuming than adding siege weapons or boats into the game.  I've been waiting over six years for enemies to have siege weapons which remains as coming soon.  I've experienced some games with editors so terrible even the most devoted fans gave up.  Hopefully he uses the popular and successful game editors as a blueprint for what works successfully for game editors such as Heroes_3, Neverwinter_Nights and Age_of_Wonders_Shadow_Magic.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 05:43:40 pm »

Once finished it would provide a more interesting world for gamers.  Ideally I would like to leave messages to help the adventurer, schedule future events such as major battles between races and custom quests but those don't seem possible with DFHack options.

Points B and C remind me of where Bethesda's Elder Scrolls became overtly streamlined, between Arena and Morrowind they are totally different games. DF provides entire civilizations so having everything available is a given, respecting what each actually provides.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:45:14 pm by Bob69Joe »

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 08:06:28 pm »

Points B and C remind me of where Bethesda's Elder Scrolls became overtly streamlined, between Arena and Morrowind they are totally different games. DF provides entire civilizations so having everything available is a given, respecting what each actually provides.

I don't think placing the worst and most dangerous weapons and enemies far away from a starting location is stream lining the game. The way the worlds are generated there will be plenty of different ways to explore the world, but clearly the fun ends more quickly when your hero finds a full set of iron equipment on day 1 since there's less upgrades for the hero.  I have always enjoyed exploring many different directions and difficulties thus confident I could provide this quality experience.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 08:56:40 pm »

I don't think placing the worst and most dangerous weapons and enemies far away from a starting location is stream lining the game. The way the worlds are generated there will be plenty of different ways to explore the world, but clearly the fun ends more quickly when your hero finds a full set of iron equipment on day 1 since there's less upgrades for the hero.  I have always enjoyed exploring many different directions and difficulties thus confident I could provide this quality experience.

Right, right. This dungeon system could create any play experience besides. I just find that a greater game is played without a purpose or otherwise it becomes an ocd of fulfilling quotas. Games like Noby Noby Boy and Katamari Damacy strike an awesome balance. The civ features of DF could supposedly provide an endless amount of non-linearity. Perhaps one day I'll seriously get into modding these games I play. Transplanting a game like Dark Sun or Darklands off of DOS systems into DF sounds cool. Darklands sounds like it could be a template for this dms thingie, as it provides contextual development via text dialogues and choices within towns and played generally on an overland map with the exploration bounded by the borders of the Holy Roman Empire.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 10:17:12 pm »

DF is not that moddable. You cannot make new site types (definitely) or dialogue options (probably).
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 10:40:57 pm »

What I find absolutely essential is the totally imaginative creation of any character like straight out of a table top D&D game. Here at fifteen minutes, it shows how Darklands handles character creation. https://youtube.com/watch?v=PUzx5rxJ8Ec The char starts at age 15 and those 15 years are guided by birth and every five years the char lives through an occupation, or job basically, until you want him ready to play.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:44:17 pm by Bob69Joe »
Pages: [1] 2 3