Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dungeon Master Unit for Improving Worlds  (Read 3756 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Master Unit for Improving Worlds
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 10:47:52 pm »

I don't think that's possible. Adv mode characters are created basically out of nowhere, and that's hardcoded.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 02:34:21 am »

DF is not that moddable. You cannot make new site types (definitely) or dialogue options (probably).

Have you seen the DFHack Script Collection?   Based on what I've read the creation of creatures can be done.  Creating new sites can be done, but they probably won't be marked with a symbol on the main map... such as a bridge between islands or a main continent or a custom maze on the map or the minecarts used as a train.  Equipping armor can be done via DFHack and even a weapon if the creature is temporarily controlled during modifying of the world. 
The limitations I see include: I don't see a way of creating new dialogue options.  I don't see a way of creating custom quests.  I don't see a way of creating triggered or timed events.  I don't see a way of providing shops new types of items for sale as time passes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:47:09 am by NTJedi »

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 02:45:18 am »

I just find that a greater game is played without a purpose or otherwise it becomes an ocd of fulfilling quotas. Games like Noby Noby Boy and Katamari Damacy strike an awesome balance. The civ features of DF could supposedly provide an endless amount of non-linearity. Perhaps one day I'll seriously get into modding these games I play. Transplanting a game like Dark Sun or Darklands off of DOS systems into DF sounds cool. Darklands sounds like it could be a template for this dms thingie, as it provides contextual development via text dialogues and choices within towns and played generally on an overland map with the exploration bounded by the borders of the Holy Roman Empire.
I never setup any 'purpose' or main 'path' or 'quotas' within maps I have created. In fact I always try to setup as much replay value as possible for whatever maps I create for any games. For example if you've traveled on a normal random map which hasn't been changed then it's unlikely the seventh undead tower will bring any new surprises, but for a map which I have tweaked it wouldn't be the normal weak necromancer... it might be an undead demon necromancer or a cult of necromancers.   It sounds like you've just had bad past experiences from custom maps.   

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 02:02:06 pm »

If you know.how to create DOS, then having two screens up, one for the DF overland and the other for dialogue and perhaps some battles, then the two together could be a whole game.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 08:39:07 pm »

If you know.how to create DOS, then having two screens up, one for the DF overland and the other for dialogue and perhaps some battles, then the two together could be a whole game.
Maybe possible with DFHack, but I doubt it.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 06:54:22 pm »

Kitty's right in that new site types can't really be created or defined within the game currently, they're fully hardcoded, atleast for now. Hopefully it won't be the case forever since the available site types don't always fit whatever race one wants to make. Not counting just player-made sites that are filled with creatures later into that, obviously.

A proper world editor would be great though, hopefully Toady does deliver on it for the mythgen update. If it comes anywhere close to the flexibility the WC3 editor had it'll really be a wonderful tool for stories.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:00:49 pm by ZM5 »

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 08:36:38 pm »

Kitty's right in that new site types can't really be created or defined within the game currently, they're fully hardcoded, atleast for now. Hopefully it won't be the case forever since the available site types don't always fit whatever race one wants to make. Not counting just player-made sites that are filled with creatures later into that, obviously.

A proper world editor would be great though, hopefully Toady does deliver on it for the mythgen update. If it comes anywhere close to the flexibility the WC3 editor had it'll really be a wonderful tool for stories.

Correction: A new site based on terrain and structure changes can exist... for example an artificial obsidian bridge guarded by two vampire archers trapped by fortifications on the game map OR custom mazes on the game map OR creating an oasis in a desert, etc., etc., etc., .  What "can't" be done is modifying existing sites or adding sites on the world map.  If player-made sites have only been filled with creatures then they've lacked creativity for their modifications of the game map.   

I have seen some very poorly done game/map editors... hopefully Today knows to review the editors which have been successful in other games like Heroes3, NeverWinter Nights, Age_of_Wonder_Shadow_Magic and WC3.  Without any exposure to these editors then many of the good features from them may not arrive.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 08:59:23 pm »

Correction: A new site based on terrain and structure changes can exist... for example an artificial obsidian bridge guarded by two vampire archers trapped by fortifications on the game map OR custom mazes on the game map OR creating an oasis in a desert, etc., etc., etc., .  What "can't" be done is modifying existing sites or adding sites on the world map.  If player-made sites have only been filled with creatures then they've lacked creativity for their modifications of the game map.   

I have seen some very poorly done game/map editors... hopefully Today knows to review the editors which have been successful in other games like Heroes3, NeverWinter Nights, Age_of_Wonder_Shadow_Magic and WC3.  Without any exposure to these editors then many of the good features from them may not arrive.
If he doesn't know how to make an editor, why would he not look at existing editors? You know he plays games, right?
Well, maybe ask what he's looking at in fotf (if he's started). Kind of pointless repeatedly saying it here...

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 11:04:45 pm »

I'm saying this information here so current gamers know the best case and worst case scenario regarding what may arrive.  Also would be interesting to hear about other great game editors which I didn't originally mention such as  WC3.

If he doesn't know how to make an editor, why would he not look at existing editors? You know he plays games, right?
Well, maybe ask what he's looking at in fotf (if he's started). Kind of pointless repeatedly saying it here...

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 07:31:03 pm »

What is WC3? Warcraft right? I've seen tower defense game styled maps out of that.

As far as I'm concerned about any editing, Toady could create a super simple paint scheme to just mine out tiles and change tiles all by hand in a new gamemode. That'd satisfy me. I'd be totally happy if Toady could implement a little scheme of character classes even taking it straight from M&M or D&D, or using what's available, Darklands styled, life-long character histories seems possible.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 02:23:52 am »

I think there will never be character classes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 03:18:59 am »

Character histories will come when it's possible to play historical characters. Since they have histories. Fake history thrown into a detailed history simulation doesn't make much sense. Might be possible to somehow thread it in retrospectively, but really complicated probably.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 04:55:42 am »

Classes will definitely never be a thing in the gamey sense I'd think - maybe there could eventually be support for custom professions so those individuals that take on that "class" will always have some form of equipment or abilities associated with it, but otherwise I don't see it happening.

Also yeah, by WC3 I meant Warcraft 3 - has one of the best world editors in any game I've seen, allows for a ton of flexibility and customizability. TD maps are just one part of it, but there's a lot more amazing stuff that was done with it.
I personally would be fine with there being another gamemode that lets the players create dungeons and the like with hostile enemies and loot inside, although I think that's gonna be scaled with the functions of the editor itself to perhaps allow a defined dungeon to pop up consistently in worlds that are generated.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 10:45:57 am »

Character histories will come when it's possible to play historical characters. Since they have histories. Fake history thrown into a detailed history simulation doesn't make much sense. Might be possible to somehow thread it in retrospectively, but really complicated probably.

The DF civ history generator is so good, it can wrap into any mod given new entities and interactions. Creating a 50 year old alchemist out of thin air isn't at all necessary when they work and live among the world as is.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2018, 08:15:19 pm »

The DF civ history generator is so good, it can wrap into any mod given new entities and interactions. Creating a 50 year old alchemist out of thin air isn't at all necessary when they work and live among the world as is.
Yes. That's what I said.
Pages: 1 [2] 3