Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: End of Goblin might  (Read 3918 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
End of Goblin might
« on: September 27, 2018, 07:47:07 am »

Is it just me or long gone are the days of goblins ruling the world? In all my recent worlds all the goblin civs that weren't isolated on an island were either losing to the elves or humans. What happened? It's hard finding a dark fortress with more than 200 creatures that isn't far away from any civilization.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: End of Goblin might
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 08:19:57 am »

Goblin domination tends to need a perfect storm, in my experience. The world map needs to be small enough for them to blitzkrieg their way through, but large enough for them not to be dogpiled (a medium map), and they need to successfully pick their first few targets. Goblins tend to overexpand and get annihilated, and if they don't do their job, the elves tend to step up to the plate as chief warmongerers.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 09:57:44 pm »

They also need to not murder their own demon.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 10:31:02 pm »

Wow, this can happen? I've never seen it before.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:50:36 pm »

Wow, this can happen? I've never seen it before.
Yes, surprisingly often.
Check out the history of any gobbo civ lead by a non-demon. Chances are the demon was murdered (small possibility of 'killed by camel during Elf attack').

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 02:40:53 am »

Laugh at elves all you want, but since giant animals are generally unbalanced in the post-generation battle screen and they are lead by immortal tacticians with many battles under their belt, they have been taking largely the goblin's place in steamrolling smaller nations under waves of claws & teeth.

You'd have to cut down the elven defenders & waves upon waves of giant animals factored into a counter attack, this personally is why id like to see real-time battle simulations sooner rather than later for more accurate representations of battles and to have capped limits of animals that are 'reserved' for defence.

• Making treason a capital offence and adding extra framework for executioners & law enforcement (loosely akin to fortress guards) makes the attempts on the demon lords and mortals who take their place both punishable and less common in worldgeneration.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:03:32 am by FantasticDorf »

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 06:49:01 pm »

In my experience the demon pulls a lot of their civilization's weight. They lead or at least participate in most battles and usually boast the highest kill count of their civilization. It's almost as if the goblins aren't meant to function as proper society without the demon running the show, and the civilization as a whole only exists to serve the demon and the pursuit of their goals. The more thought I put into it, the more familiar it sounds.

[Laughs in Senate]                           [Laughs in Darius III's salty tears]                [Laughs in Ainur]                                               [Laughs in DAMN BOI HE SWOLE]

This formula doesn't work so well if the demon isn't sufficiently killy or is otherwise prone to catching a case of sudden onset not-being-alive disease. Being the size of a house is a good start and does wonders for intimidation, but if you're made of rock salt or some other fragile material you've got problems. Even exhaling a gas that rots a person's lungs out isn't guaranteed to keep you alive. And any group that can only exist, persist, and excel due to the efforts of one individual is doomed to fall apart they lose their keystone.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:53:40 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 10:00:17 am »

I wonder if it’s possible for a physically unkillable demon (giant made of steel for example) to be killed by someone with a copper spear in world gen battles
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 01:26:29 pm »

I wonder if it’s possible for a physically unkillable demon (giant made of steel for example) to be killed by someone with a copper spear in world gen battles
This is a good question. I know it takes into account equipment and ESPECIALLY skill, but does it also take into account body composition?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 03:07:36 pm »

I just looked into composition of 50 unique demons (the ones who rule the gobbos), and 49 of them were composed of standard materials. One was non-standard, made of vomit. So funny materials are possible, but chances seem slim to me. Anyway, in my worlds the demons are usually killed by some monster in worldgen.

Gobbos can cope without them, but do not dominate. For example in my world (no advanced settings) after 250 years there were 65k dorfs, 52k gobbos, 49k humans, 32k elves and 2.5k kobolds. If the demons survived (there were 6 here originally), then the gobbos would rule the world probably.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 09:27:53 pm »

Part of the disadvantage for goblins on a civilization level is also their high rate of banditry. If you drop it to a level comparable with other species they can still be overwhelming without a demon lord.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 09:35:48 pm »

This is a good question. I know it takes into account equipment and ESPECIALLY skill, but does it also take into account body composition?
It seems to, but it doesn't simulate actual combat.  As far as I can tell with my extensive but informal experience the materials contribute to a number, call it survivability, and then the numbers do the fighting.  You get some spear>tanks situations by sheer number of combats.

Likewise, it seems that worldgen combat does also occassionally favor vomitus monsters and such by these numbers.

P:

I made a 'legion' monster, ala castlevania undead blob.  One of the ways I got it to drop corpses was to physically melt off and reanimate its limbs.  Worldgen was really fond of making a reanimated limb the megabeast, displacing the mon itself; and while it usually survived it was a lot less killy after the first combat.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:38:50 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 02:24:07 pm »

Gobbos can cope without them, but do not dominate. For example in my world (no advanced settings) after 250 years there were 65k dorfs, 52k gobbos, 49k humans, 32k elves and 2.5k kobolds. If the demons survived (there were 6 here originally), then the gobbos would rule the world probably.

There are some easy self made solutions to this in regards to RAW modding, and it highlights the subtle effects of government structures and that the two person governmental structure of general and leader (which doesn't always get refreshed due to bugs) is probably deliberately flawed.

- Police & punishment (fortress guards & executioners) to uphold treason charges vs the demon lord making non-accidental murders against them extremely rare and bolster defence.

- More [rule from site] nobles like local [MARKET_ONLY] tower lords away from the capital with their own military goals & strategy & occupied site administrators to make use of sites taken. Using [MONARCH] won't overlap with procedural positions, neither with [GENERAL] and these can bring them into the main fortress game when the normal dwarf monarch conditions are met as a goblin entity. Free demon on site for use, keep em safe.

- Subservient local militia squads linked to the general in every tower site, gives more armies & tactic talent spread across goblindom rather than one crushing defeat collapsing your power structure.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 04:02:53 pm »

well, playing in 44.09 still, but unless i changed the raws to give them a maxage, only in one of 20 cases they seemed to not rule as much area as all other races combined after 125 years of worldgen in another 1 of 20 they went extinct.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 09:54:29 pm »

Are you sure about that?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.
Pages: [1] 2