Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: End of Goblin might  (Read 3891 times)

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End of Goblin might
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 12:56:34 am »

I've noticed this.  In the couple dozen worlds I've genned in 44.12 a lot of them are dominated by elves.  Also, goblins seem to integrate into human civilizations quite often.  Once gameplay begins the elves launch repeated assaults on the humans and dwarves.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 07:32:03 am »

I've noticed this.  In the couple dozen worlds I've genned in 44.12 a lot of them are dominated by elves.  Also, goblins seem to integrate into human civilizations quite often.  Once gameplay begins the elves launch repeated assaults on the humans and dwarves.

Giant elephants driven by immortal female elf Napoleon are suprisingly OP with tactical buffs.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 08:48:42 am »

Are you sure about that?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
after i added a maxage to the gobbos, the other races finally had fair chances.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 10:56:29 pm »

I played around with world gen and indeed goblins still can be mighty. On another note, does anyone know if aquifers impact worldgen sites?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 04:39:19 am »

after i added a maxage to the gobbos, the other races finally had fair chances.
I had an interesting idea once, to remove noeat and nodrink. it has a similar effect. If I recall correctly (I have a terrible memory, this may be incorrect, and versions old info) The food scarcity naturally controls the population, and cause them to become more dependent on trolls, balooning the troll and beakdog numbers even higher but lower goblin counts and high civilization extinction rate by war.
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 09:18:58 am »

Goblins are carnivorous, which means that their population food ratio is dependent on livestock like you point out & the hunting profession which means that they need quite a lot of competentcy with weapons and abundant wildlife around them to stay alive and not starve.

How much of this is represented i dont know, in my mods (below is a exerpt of code i use to keep beak dogs & trolls in check) i use the [ANIMAL] code to bypass use of [COMMON_DOMESTIC] so that they aren't infinitely respawning and entirely locked to the population of the site. You could technically kill goblins in a tundra with very poor local animal populations by stealing all their livestock by stealth and whittling away their trolls.

Code: [Select]
[PET_EXOTIC] // on trolls, does affect the game but not as much as you would think, [ALWAYS_PRESENT] will even let tame trolls be imported by traders if appropriate. Goes in creature standard.txt file with regular troll raws replacing [COMMON_DOMESTIC]

[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_TOKEN:TROLL]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
Theres some other things you can do to stop civs picking up trolls in world generation such as making banned creature classes, etc [EVIL_PET] across general alignment lines.

If the troll population gets too high in worldgen while playing as non-goblins, and subsequently with some effort you can remove trolls from the goblin sites entirely until some more & new goblin sites are founded by repeatedly hitting a saturated site with raids. I run my goblin fortresses ingame with goblins needing to eat but not drink and it runs fine by my reckoning.

EI - i sort of wish Trolls had inedible meat, as they give a lot when you actually manage to slaughter a adult one, but its too much of a pain to add butchery specifics, especially when you may want fur & bones from them atleast.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:23:40 am by FantasticDorf »
Pages: 1 [2]