Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34

Author Topic: Rune Race: Loji Thread  (Read 31780 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Loji Thread
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2019, 07:10:19 pm »

Um, when exactly? The Spike of Embers deals damage if it hits, and turns into sparks that light the area around them. This is actually inferior to the current one, as it is line of sight only. As written, it isn't all that great. And the same logic also applies to the Enkindlers, we can give them new direction during the general Voiceguard Design Update.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2019, 08:59:06 pm »

Wind of Embers is useless in combat, full stop. It is also line-of-sight, requiring control from a Chanter, and far, far, far, far, FAAAAAAAAAR less damaging than Spike of Embers. The Spike cannot be controlled as well as the Wind due to experience differences but honestly that's just not so important given that it is going to tend to dissipate anyway.

I would not like to utilize THAT particular Chant since it is just kinda amazingly less awesome than the Wind of Flame. I think we should definitely attempt a "Spike of Cold" or something like that....I wonder what Wind of Stillness with Shape(Earth) does, too. "Spike of Stillness" seems a little...unlikely? I hope? Anyway, if we're going to deploy a new chant it should definitely be Wind of Stillness. Imagine being able to slow down an entire enemy unit while their fellows push ahead?

Windward Imprisoners
These are the kind of heroes who break armies. Sweeping across the battlefield, stillness grows in their breath. Formations break as men slow down in the face of great gusts of paradoxical wind. Swept up in great waves of wind, stillness is then dropped over an entire piece of the enemy's formation by these chanters, before sweeping forwards, leaving the soldiers at the back to trip into those in front of them as they suddenly find themselves moving freely. Just before contact the front of enemy pike formations will find themselves alone, their fellows held back by a sudden burst of effort from these chanters which holds their reinforcements back, leading to massacres amongst pikemen, who can only really work in rigid multi-layered formations.

In clearer form: Their role in battle is to, using their ability to hold back pieces of enemy formations, instill confusion and destroy the cohesion of enemy formations as they advance, to break up their rigid lines and create breaks and vulnerabilities our much less rigid-formation-reliant forces can exploit. They use the most powerful form of their runes and chant available to us to maximize their impact. They should not be stilling the whole battlefield for extended periods of time, they are meant to act primarily during the period just before contact as the main bodies move against each other.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2019, 08:07:50 am »

Given Laptop issues.

Vote for Windward Imprisioners. May  they lay many traps to best destroy the enemy.

I note that I would still like our Medicine, we may have effectively unlimited manpower, but their poisons still take a toll in combat. Being able to heal those afflictions would prove useful.

Imprisioners are useful though, as we can apply the Chant in the Jungle as well to tire them out.

General Idea for Wind of Cold

It has been theorized we can make our metal lighter, yet retain it's strength. Fate is connected to Air, so surely we can make use of this.

Experiments and workings.

Experiment 1: Using Wind to make our Windforged Steel, and Wind of Cold to soak in, cooling the metal that way, as it touches every part.

Experiment 2, Wind of Flame to make the Fire Iron, then pounding it into shape, using Wind of Cold as needed to Cold-Forge it, folding Carbon into it. Repeat as needed.

Experiment 3: Using Wind, Wind of Flame, and Wind of Cold. Control the Heating, the Carbon content, and the Cooling process.

Experiment 4: Use the Wind of Cold to Cold-Forge Iron into Steel using presses and weights. Contract the Iron into Steel, the Iron Ingots used being made with the Wind Chant.

Of the ones proposed, 1 is the most likely to work. We don't have the pressure needed for cold-forging as of now. That would likely be an Earth/Fate Chant...

Experiment 1 and 3: Add Wind of Cold To Our Smithing Process
By adding the Wind of Cold into our Forging Process, we can control how quickly the metal cools, leading to better quality, and potentially stronger metal structuring. This should greatly improve our Smithing Skill, and potentially unlock new metals we can use. At the least, it should offer a general improvement.

Experiment 1: Using Wind to make our Windforged Steel, and Wind of Cold to soak in, cooling the metal that way, as it touches every part.
Experiment 3: Using Wind, Wind of Flame, and Wind of Cold. Control the Heating, the Carbon content, and the Cooling process.

Quote from: votebox
Smoke-Enchanters: (0)
Voiceguard Ranks, Adept Unlock: (0)
The Enkindling Anew: (1) AC
Runes of the Voiceguard: (0)
o apothēkē: (0)
Windward Imprisioners: (0)
Add Wind of Cold To Our Smithing Process: (1) TricMagic
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:10:06 am by TricMagic »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2019, 10:38:26 am »

Given Laptop issues.

Vote for Windward Imprisioners. May  they lay many traps to best destroy the enemy.

When did the proposal say they'd be "laying traps"? This is a during-combat sort of thing, their chants don't hang around like a trap would.

Windward Imprisioners: (1) Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2019, 10:45:07 am »

The Enkindling Anew: (2) AC, Jilladilla
Windward Imprisioners: (2) Madman, TricMagic

Eh..

To note, Discord Discussion. Solution-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Loji's Voiceguard, as part of an ongoing initiative to bring the effects of chants to all, have requested help in the Logistics of offerring Basic Training to everyone.

In this, our Metalsmiths pitch in to work the Rune Vessels. The Voiceguard have begun a Training Initiative for Ritual Overseers and Ritual Assistants to speed the process.

We, meanwhile, build buildings of Wood and Stone. These Buildings will serve as the area for the Ritual Overseers and their assistants to quickly gather the Mana needed to fill these Runic Vessels, and complete each Ritual.

Put simply, each building is dedicated to one of the Chants we have discovered. Multiple Plazas surrounding a Records Building is used to offer basic training to everyone in the Basic Styles each Chant grants. It is extremely basic training, true, but each Chant has it's own uses to offer our troops, and they can be trained quickly, so they may keep up in their own Martial Training.

Code: (Wind Training) [Select]
Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air) - Wind
An expulsion of wind directly away from the chanter. The wind generated is quite strong and grows more powerful the more mana is used to empower the chanter.

One of the most Basic of Chants on offer, the Wind Chant let's our troops dispel smoke and dust. They can also power our Sails if needed, though their lack of training means they can not do so well. Just as well this Chant always works in numbers, and they will have numbers.

Due to it's ease, most who take this mostly take it to gain the immunity to Suffocation. All Chants offer that.

Code: (Ember Training) [Select]
Shape(Air), Attack(Earth), Ward(Fire) - Wind of Embers
This chant transmutes the wind into embers like the sparks escaping a bonfire directed forward away from the speaker. If these embers land upon suitable kindling they can start fires, but they do not seem overly harmful on their own.

Also a basic chant, used to start campfires. It can also start fires as well. Those who take this always serve as support in camp, in the Enkindlers old place actually. Like Wind, an easy Chant to get a hold of, if of limited use. Works well though.

Code: (Flame Training) [Select]
Shape(Air) Attack(Air) Ward(Fire) - Wind of Flame
This chant transmutes the wind into fire directed forward away from the speaker. The flames burn hot, charing meat and setting fires. When blocked the advancing wall of flame will expand outwards sideways in a spiral curl before going out.

Wind of Flame. Those who choose this Chant are of course, immune to it. It takes training though. Those who use it learn to send a cylinder of fire ahead of them from their mouths. The fires it starts can be dangerous to yourself and others, and as such requires good training and oversight. While small, it is a powerful tool. After all, who would wish to stand in front of them when you'll get burned for your trouble.

Code: (Smoke Training) [Select]
Shape(Earth), Attack(Fire), Ward(Air) - Spike of Smoke
A chant that concentrates smoke into a spike before projecting it forwards away from the speaker. The smoke does not disperse nor does it cause much damage on impact, instead forming into a cloud. It is possible to choke on it if the target remains within the effect for long enough.

An amazingly simple Chant. It is of limited utility however. Those who choose it, learn to throw it in an orb form. Mostly used Solo, and as such, those who choose it are training in placement in the middle of battle. It can also be used to leave a long-lingering smokescreen to block paths though.

Code: (Poison Gather Training) [Select]
Shape(Water) Ward(Wood) Attack(Air) - Gathering of Poison
Draws poison from the environment into a single mass. The effect of the poison depends on what is gathered, but usually only results in rashes or other minor side effects.

Simple, if delicate. Those who choose this must be ready to gather the poison of their enemies around themselves. Chanters are trained in quick healing on the battlefield, and self-infusion of the Chant itself to negate the effects of the poison on themselves. Since the Poison affected by the Chant does not harm the Chanter, using the Chant on yourself effectively negate the poison, and allows you to turn it on your foes, covering enemy heads or spitting it in their eyes.

Code: (Stillness Training) [Select]
Shape(Air) Attack(Air) Ward(Earth) - Wind of Stillness
Transmutes the wind to paradoxical stillness directed away from the speaker. The stillness created is not complete, slowing an arrow or turning a walk into a slog as the air seems to gain the consistency of mud. It seems to have little effect on those who choose to remain unmoving in the face of it and they will have difficulty detecting the wind as it does not buffet them as it should.

Probably the Most Paradoxical on offer, those who choose the Path of Stillness offer up their services in Resistance Training others. The Mud like consistency of the air allows the user to train others through training in it. Ironically, they themselves do not receive such training with it, but there is always next season.
In battle, they always work in small groups, with themselves as the center. By using the stillness, they can slow and trap those in front, while their allies, being used to it, charge ahead, the Chanter being unaffected. Standing in front, is a very good way to die quickly, particularity since a favored tactic is a simple cube of still space around them and ahead.

Code: (Spike Training) [Select]
Shape(Earth) Attack(Earth) Ward(Fire) - Spike of Embers
A chant that concentrates embers into a spike before projecting it forward away from the speaker. The spike of embers is a solid mass capable of inflicting damage on impact. Once it has struck a target the spike breaks showering the area in embers that have the potential to light fires before going out.

Simple Chant, though it requires training to use correctly. Ironically, the Crossbow Divisions are the best with this, as you want to shoot the Spike into enemy ranks, since the sparks can set fire to cloth. As such, Archers are often the ones to use it with minimal training. For melee users, they are trained in opportunity, using the spike from close range, fully aware of the fire it will start, to break open enemy ranks with a spike driven through, and fire from below.

Code: (Cold Wind Training) [Select]
Shape(Air) Attack(Air) Ward(Fate) - Wind of Cold
The wind is transmuted by this chant, chilling all that it brushes against as it is directed away from the speaker. The cold is capable of turning rain to ice and is deeply unpleasant to face without protection from the wintery cold. Such a cold can not truly be blocked, merely endured.

Dangerous. This Chant can be used to cool allies pleasantly. It can also be used as a nasty blast of air to chill those ahead of you. Those who choose it are trained in two methods, a general area Sphere of effect to cool the bodies around you from heat, and a sharp frigid Sphere the size of your head, which gets lobbed at the enemy. During wintertime or cold areas, this is often enough to send an enemy into hypothermia.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:40:12 pm by TricMagic »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2019, 04:11:47 pm »

I like the idea of improving our magical metallurgy. While the proposal could use a bit more polish, it offers a method and a way and makes sense. I'm not feeling adding another order to the Voiceguard though, do remember how much earlier it was mentioned that they had 5 blademonks for every Hellbringer we had? My concern is that the Voiceguard is collectively only 1 Elite Unit, and the more orders we Revise onto it dilutes the numbers of each that much more. Is my concern possibly unfounded? Yes, it may. If I get corrected I will happily retract my objections to this, although I likely won't change my vote, I am content with this vote.

Add Wind of Cold To Our Smithing Process: (2) TricMagic, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2019, 04:25:39 pm »

The Enkindling Anew: (0)
Add Wind of Cold To Our Smithing Process: (3) TricMagic, Jilladilla, AC

I did say I'd change my vote to resolve a tie, so there we go. Windward Imprisoners would've been my preferred option, but I share Jilladilla's concern with regards to the Voiceguard.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2019, 06:40:05 pm »

Freezing, Quenching, and Cooling Metals in the Windforges

If there is one thing we've prided ourselves on since early days, it is our Chanting. If there is to be another, it must be what we have done with our Chanting. We have taken Wind to revolutionize our Forge Techniques. We have built a Forge to equip all Our People in superior gear. Through our Knowledge, we discovered Fire Iron, but have yet to make anything of it. Our Windforged Steel could yet be better, lighter, stronger for it's composition.

In all this, our Forging Techniques are truly superb, so long as it deals with heat and air, at least. On the other side of things, we use water and clay to cool and harden our metals.

In this, a Proposal. By using the Wind of Cold in our production process, we can not only control the rate at which metal hardens, which will let us make both hard and soft edges on a blade. But also to cool the water in which we quench, as well as applying it more directly. The Wind of Cold can chill down to the bone, and our control over Air is great. We can use it to greatly increase the strength and availability of our Metals. And there may yet be secrets waiting to be uncovered using it.

To point, I propose using the Wind of Cold to better Quench and Cool our Metals in the Ingot ,Weapon, and Armor Making Process. Surely, with our Mastery of Air, we can make even greater things, as all the parts of our Smiths' Forging enter Harmony with our Chanters efforts.

Quote from: Votebox
Add Wind of Cold To Our Smithing Process: (2) , Jilladilla, AC

Freezing, Quenching, and Cooling Metals in the Windforges: (1) TricMagic

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 20, 2019, 06:59:45 pm »

Chill-Quenched Steel
As every competent smith knows, the quench is the most important part of making a weapon or piece of armor. Before you stick a heated blade into the trough of water, it is not really a sword or axe or spear, it is a piece of warm, soft metal. Into the trough, and suddenly cold is sucking the heat out, and the metal hardens quickly, becoming a true weapon. Or it cracks, and becomes useless. Water will cool most weapons, but Fire Iron stubbornly refuses to be quenched, refuses to be hardened. Perhaps with Wind of Cold, the chill of Fate itself can make a weapon out of this stubborn metal. If successful, quenched Fire Iron will be available for use in weapons. If not, we'll try quenching normal steel, and Windforged Steel as well, to see what we can make out of this new trick.

Windward Imprisoners: (1) TricMagic
Chill-Quenched Steel: (1) Madman
Freezing, Quenching, and Cooling Metals in the Windforges: (1) TricMagic

I've changed my vote but still would prefer Windward Imprisoners since they'll have a much larger effect on the battlefield (unless quenching things with fate is really helpful somehow?)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 20, 2019, 07:05:58 pm »

Chill-Quenched Steel
As every competent smith knows, the quench is the most important part of making a weapon or piece of armor. Before you stick a heated blade into the trough of water, it is not really a sword or axe or spear, it is a piece of warm, soft metal. Into the trough, and suddenly cold is sucking the heat out, and the metal hardens quickly, becoming a true weapon. Or it cracks, and becomes useless. Water will cool most weapons, but Fire Iron stubbornly refuses to be quenched, refuses to be hardened. Perhaps with Wind of Cold, the chill of Fate itself can make a weapon out of this stubborn metal. If successful, quenched Fire Iron will be available for use in weapons. If not, we'll try quenching normal steel, and Windforged Steel as well, to see what we can make out of this new trick.

Windward Imprisoners: (0)
Chill-Quenched Steel: (2) Madman, TricMagic
Freezing, Quenching, and Cooling Metals in the Windforges: (0)

I've changed my vote but still would prefer Windward Imprisoners since they'll have a much larger effect on the battlefield (unless quenching things with fate is really helpful somehow?)

Simple enough to do at least. So long as it doesn't freeze over anyway, that's the tricky bit.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2019, 08:26:04 pm »

Add Wind of Cold To Our Smithing Process: (1) AC
Chill-Quenched Steel: (3) Madman, TricMagic, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2019, 11:49:53 pm »

Add Wind of Cold To Our Smithing Process: (0)
Chill-Quenched Steel: (4) Madman, TricMagic, Jilladilla, AC
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2019, 03:47:04 pm »

Revision Phase

Chill-Quenched Steel

Easy: 5+1=6

Fire Steel
Care must be taken to protect against the heat this alloy puts out. With the new techniques discovered in the application of Wind of Cold, Fire Steel can be brought to a comparable hardness to Windforged Steel. Contact with Fire Steel can cause burns and is quite painful to the touch, leading the first test blade to be described as a Tormentor Longsword. For armour, care must be taken to ensure the Fire Steel does not make contact with skin. It is expected that Fire Steel will prove impractical during summer and prolonged effort may contribute to the exhaustion of a warrior wearing it. It provides quite effective protection against the winter cold.

Inscribing Fire Steel with Air Phasing causes it to grow hotter when phased. As the heat builds up it can render a blade unusable as the heat transfers into the hand of the wielder. Fortunately this heat build up can be tamed somewhat by the use of water or earth to smother the metal.

It is now Winter, Turn 3 Battle Phase

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:35:46 am by Talion »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2019, 05:56:10 am »

Quote from: Strategy
Mountain: (0)
Central: (1) AC
  - Focus Xi Shan: (0)
  - Focus Iqua: (1) AC
Jungle: (1) AC

Right, route selection! We haven't yet developed anything that'll help us deal with the darkness enveloping Arcanis, so another attempt on the Mountain lane isn't likely to be very fruitful. Pushing the Jungle with our augmented Jarls is probably our best bet.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2019, 07:29:15 am »

Quote from: Strategy
Mountain: (0)
Central: (2) AC, TricMagic
  - Focus Xi Shan: (0)
  - Focus Iqua: (2) AC, TricMagic
Jungle: (2) AC, TricMagic

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34