Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34

Author Topic: Rune Race: Loji Thread  (Read 31769 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Loji Thread
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »

OK, so it goes into effect next turn. Not great, but not crippling. Oh, and our Jarls will wear the Improved Scale Armor *now*, I'd assume, so we should be able to batter our happy ways through their phalanx and through their monks as well.

For this revision, my thought is pretty simple:

Hellbringers/Voiceguard Revision
A new division of the Voiceguard, the Hellbringers use Wind of Fire to scour the unworthy, the weak, and the foolish from the world. In battle, they focus on clearing out the enemy's unarmored units first, then move on to burn any exposed skin of the most tightly-packed portions of the enemy army. Right now, this means they should start by killing the unarmored monks before turning their flames onto the enemy's central phalanx.

EDIT: Added a bit about Windsinger adjustments. There's no reason for them NOT to be doing this already, save that we...didn't tell them to and our commanders didn't think about it despite it turning crossbows' slow firing rates into an advantage.

Spoiler: previous (click to show/hide)

Flamebringers(Voiceguard Addition)

Using Runes made of Windforged Steel and Fire Iron{respectively for each element} to power their chanting for each season, they take to the field.

Using the Flames of Wind, they use the Sphere as their Shape. This is useful in the cold mountains, as a Flamebringer is able to use Flames that keep the cold at bay on the march for long periods of time. They can also use Flame to light up the darkness at night.
In Battle, the Flamebringers use small balls of packed fire in simple volleys straight into and through the heart of enemy ranks. They can of course vary the size to medium or even large balls, as well as use multiple balls at will.

These prove useful for inciting panic in the enemy ranks, as the flames reach out to everything they can touch. As a Flamebringer can always release the tightly packed flames from their control, so that they lash out at everything in the vicinity.

Notes:
Fire Volley- A simple combination of multiple balls of flame shooting forward in straight lines and arcs. Good for burning straight through enemies, and in enclosed ranges. Can be Small or Medium sized.

Fire Encompassing- A large Sphere of Fire that comes down in an arc from overhead, either kept in Shape for continual burn, or released to lash out at surrounding targets. Can be Medium or Large sized.

Summer's Flame- Flames that provide great heating over an area. Good for the long march in cold conditions, keeping us fresh for battle. Can also light fires, boil water, and melt ice and snow when directed to. Also doubles as a light source at night.

Helios' Hammerblow- A Medium to Large ball of Fire, launched straight ahead signally. Breaks forward on contact with a target.

Quote from: Votebox - Revision
Hellbringers (Voiceguard Revision) (2) Madman, AC
Windy Sailcarts (-)
Flamebringers  (Voiceguard Addition)(1) TricMagic
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:14:31 pm by TricMagic »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2018, 07:11:36 am »

Tric, you axed my vote ):
I mean, these things happen from time to time, but still, be vigilant that you grabbed the latest version of the votebox. It's fine though, I was going to merge the voteboxes anyway and cast lane votes.

Quote from: Votebox - Revision
Hellbringers (Voiceguard Revision) (3) Madman, AC, Jilladilla
Windy Sailcarts (-)
Flamebringers  (Voiceguard Addition)(1) TricMagic

Lane Votes
Forested Hills (3) TricMagic, Madman, Jilladilla
Jungle (3) TricMagic, Madman, Jilladilla
Arcanis (0)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2018, 07:41:15 am »

OK, so it goes into effect next turn. Not great, but not crippling. Oh, and our Jarls will wear the Improved Scale Armor *now*, I'd assume, so we should be able to batter our happy ways through their phalanx and through their monks as well.

For this revision, my thought is pretty simple:

A new division of the Voiceguard, the Hellbringers use Wind of Fire to scour the unworthy, the weak, and the foolish from the world. They use cylindrical projections of flame to annihilate sections of enemy armies, using powerful yet small and short cylinders to eliminate elite units or dangerous foes, while using a short and wide cylinder to burn the eyes and any exposed skin of larger formations, attacking from above in all cases. Similarly large cylinders, turned on their sides, can interfere with enemy archery. It's hard to shoot if your targets are hiding behind a vision-impeding circle of flame in the sky, after all.

Finally, we anticipate the enemy will develop protection from flames as fast as possible. Therefore, if direct application of fire through the previous methods is not capable of killing enemies, instead the Hellbringers will switch to very large areas of relatively little heat, just about 150*F for those that care. Not enough to light most things on fire, but enough to horribly exhaust anyone in the area, or kill them over long periods of exposure. The presence of this heat should debilitate enemies not protected against heat AND flame.

During combat only a few Hellbringers will deploy to help the skirmishers, most will be held in reserve to break enemy formations apart with the threat of fiery death. A few more will wait until the enemy's elite units reveal themselves, then smash them with fiery pillars from above. They don't even need to hit, just a close strike will burn, overheat, and exhaust an unarmored man such as a monk, while overheating and exhausting even the most heavily-armored soldier is also a valid tactic the Hellbringers will employ.

At night, a Hellbringer is assigned to every watch shift, prepared to send up a very large column of flame in the event of attack, denying our enemies the cover of darkness. Oh, and they can also set fire to any bushes that are full of archers or whatever. That's fine too.

EDIT: Added a bit about Windsinger adjustments. There's no reason for them NOT to be doing this already, save that we...didn't tell them to and our commanders didn't think about it despite it turning crossbows' slow firing rates into an advantage.

Is this the finalized proposal MM?

No heating on the march then....

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2018, 08:26:03 am »

Never assume it's the final proposal until I have un-forgotten everything I said I'd be adding  :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2018, 09:05:53 am »

Iqua grows impatient. Ah well, mine is still there. I have no issues with you cherry-picking stuff off it. Like Summer's Flame for the Mountains and night/dark. Or using the Windforged Steel and Fire Iron for the Runes, shape them into the objects we will be charging with Mana. I really want to see what happens, if anything out of the ordinary. Element alignment might do something else besides charge our chanting for the season.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2018, 10:15:24 am »

So, um, I feel the need to point out that I have "cherry-picked" nothing from your proposal, in fact. All of those things were actually things that I had myself thought of (and most of them were also posted in the Discord last night).

I won't be wasting time making Runes or whatever, that's just adding difficulty and possibly also making the revision invalid due to the breadth of stuff being done in it.

Anyway, my revision's been effectively done for awhile now. All that I've done, since the big rewrite after Talion informed us we couldn't also suggest that the Windsingers get good and start deflecting arrows anyway, has been add a few more uses of the same basic Chant.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27:55 am »

As in 'feel free'.

Also, Talion say my proposal is fine as is. So using the steel and iron for our Runes is fine.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2018, 07:01:46 pm »

Revision Phase

A new division of the Voiceguard, the Hellbringers use Wind of Fire to scour the unworthy, the weak, and the foolish from the world. They use cylindrical projections of flame to annihilate sections of enemy armies, using powerful yet small and short cylinders to eliminate elite units or dangerous foes, while using a short and wide cylinder to burn the eyes and any exposed skin of larger formations, attacking from above in all cases. Similarly large cylinders, turned on their sides, can interfere with enemy archery. It's hard to shoot if your targets are hiding behind a vision-impeding circle of flame in the sky, after all.

Finally, we anticipate the enemy will develop protection from flames as fast as possible. Therefore, if direct application of fire through the previous methods is not capable of killing enemies, instead the Hellbringers will switch to very large areas of relatively little heat, just about 150*F for those that care. Not enough to light most things on fire, but enough to horribly exhaust anyone in the area, or kill them over long periods of exposure. The presence of this heat should debilitate enemies not protected against heat AND flame.

During combat only a few Hellbringers will deploy to help the skirmishers, most will be held in reserve to break enemy formations apart with the threat of fiery death. A few more will wait until the enemy's elite units reveal themselves, then smash them with fiery pillars from above. They don't even need to hit, just a close strike will burn, overheat, and exhaust an unarmored man such as a monk, while overheating and exhausting even the most heavily-armored soldier is also a valid tactic the Hellbringers will employ.

At night, a Hellbringer is assigned to every watch shift, prepared to send up a very large column of flame in the event of attack, denying our enemies the cover of darkness. Oh, and they can also set fire to any bushes that are full of archers or whatever. That's fine too.

Hard: 4 - 1 = 3

The new order of Voice Guard, the Hellbringers has been formed, much to the ire of the other orders. The order of Enkindlers, in particular, look enviously upon the Chant they feel should rightfully be practiced by their own order. This envy turns further to jealousy when several apprentices quit the noble order of Enkindlers to join the Hellbringers. Still such is the price of progress and the Hellbringers have increased in number quickly allowing us to deploy them to the battlefield with little difficulty. That the other orders shun them and refuse to work with those they describe as the agents of hell is likely just one of those factional problems that can be solved with time.

The Hellbringers for their part pray fervently to Eristria for redemption and forgiveness. That the unholy flames be turned to righteous purpose, sending the souls of the dead into her care. Swearing to ensure those they find burning by their own dark art, are slain. For such is the mercy of the Hellbringers.

It is now Summer, Turn 1 Battle Phase

Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2018, 06:34:16 pm »

Battle Phase

Core: Turn 1 Battle

Despite complaints by the other orders, the Hellbringers have proven their value in battle. The formation fighting of the Iqua clearly can’t stand up against our growing might. Some are whispering that with the magic we have discovered so far, we might be able to win a battle against the Star. A battle is not a war, we must continue our studies. Command has faith you shall continue to advance the cause.

The Xi Shan continue to be a nuisance, though more by being more trouble than they are worth. As they weaken and distract the Iqua as well they do not seem like a priority. Yet without discovering someway to defeat their walls of darkness it is possible they will threaten our logistical situation as we advance forwards. The Hellbringers tested their flames against that darkness, but though we found burned corpses by the dawn, the darkness swallowed their flames as completely as it swallowed everything else.

It is now Autumn, Turn 2 Discovery Phase
Having held the forests in the east for a year the people of Loji have begun to develop the land (+1 Land). The mountains to the west have been investigated for ore, but nothing accessible has been found, perhaps if we had greater control of the earth things would be different.

Spoiler: Lanes (click to show/hide)

Resources: Land 3, Ore 1, Mana 2
Spoiler: Resource Development (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rune Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Discoveries (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:48:04 am by Talion »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2018, 10:49:01 am »

I have some possibilities for this Discovery turn:

Shape(Air) Attack (Air) Ward(Fate) --- I think this one was Nemonole's suggestion on Discord.
Shape(Air) Attack(Fate) Ward(Fire) --- Maybe it'll set people's fates on fire? I have no idea, why not try it?
Shape(Fate) x 3 --- Very direct control over Fate perhaps?
Ward(Air) x 3 --- Also worth a try, tells us more about single-meaning Chants and what Ward might do.
Shape(Fate) Attack(Fate) Ward(Fate) --- Also may tell us useful information about Fate, might fizzle, who knows?

We could also increase knowledge in one of our Runes. Fire, Attack, or Ward seem like likely candidates, but we could also branch out and unlock a new Rune or two.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2018, 11:11:00 am »

I have some possibilities for this Discovery turn:

Shape(Air) Attack (Air) Ward(Fate) --- I think this one was Nemonole's suggestion on Discord. (1) TricMagic
Shape(Air) Attack(Fate) Ward(Fire) --- Maybe it'll set people's fates on fire? I have no idea, why not try it?
Shape(Fate) x 3 --- Very direct control over Fate perhaps?
Ward(Air) x 3 --- Also worth a try, tells us more about single-meaning Chants and what Ward might do.
Shape(Fate) Attack(Fate) Ward(Fate) --- Also may tell us useful information about Fate, might fizzle, who knows?

We could also increase knowledge in one of our Runes. Fire, Attack, or Ward seem like likely candidates, but we could also branch out and unlock a new Rune or two.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2018, 01:17:43 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Shape(Air) Attack (Air) Ward(Fate): (1) Tricmagic <----Really need to clarify whether you want an Inscription or a Chant here

Improve Fire Rune knowledge: (1) Madman

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2018, 04:54:00 pm »

Shape(Air) Attack (Air) Ward(Fate): (1) Tricmagic <----Really need to clarify whether you want an Inscription or a Chant here

Chant: Shape(Air) Attack(Fate) Ward(Fire): (1) AC
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2018, 10:37:56 pm »

Hmm.. Personally, if I'd vote for improving Rune Knowledge, I'd go for Earth, although this is purely from personal bias and from the fact it was hinted that we could grab another ore from it.

Another suggestion?: Inscription: Shape(Earth) Ward(Earth) Ward(Fire)
Idea being that hopefully it'd give us a way to enchant equipment to be superior; currently their blademonks are suffering from massive overheating issues, but if they solve that (or at least mitigate it), their new sabers will cut through our men like butter, and a magical solution is likely much, much easier than a mundane one.
As for 2 Wards... Our results from the Phasing Rune, specifically this bit:
"We believe the elemental part of this inscription matches the requirements for creating an empowered voice inscription, but the meanings are incorrect. There are too many somehow, yet clearly, we cannot violate the rule of three."
, it very strongly implies that we can double up (or even triple-up) on meanings. I know that this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but what isn't?

Inscription: Shape(Earth) Ward(Earth) Ward(Fire): (1) Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 19, 2018, 08:43:07 am »

Inscription- Shape(Air) Attack (Air) Ward(Fate): (1) Tricmagic <----Really need to clarify whether you want an Inscription or a Chant here

Inscription: Shape(Earth) Ward(Earth) Ward(Fire): (2) Jilladilla, TricMagic

Despite spending so much time getting Fate, we haven't made any use of it. As a Celestial Element, it's bound to offer something they can't just counter by using Earth techniques to make a durable sabre.

Air Element
Air is the Element of speed, separation and flight. The Air Element is found everywhere above the earth and is drawn in and pressed back out when taking a breath. It is represented by the colour blue.

Earth Element
The Element of Earth carries with it the aspects of weight, solidity and endurance. It is found in all materials and flows most strongly through the ground. It is represented by the colour white.
Earth is White. Air is Blue. 'Separation' vs 'Solidity/Endurance'.

It's a very simple jump to make. "If our Sabres are breaking, make more durable Sabres."

Actually, in that regard, Jilladilla's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Shape earth for protection, and Ward Earth and Fire for more protections.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34