Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Rune Race: Iqua Thread  (Read 16871 times)

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Iqua Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2018, 06:59:38 pm »

Revision Phase

Moonlight Sabre
Based on the common or garden sabre, the Moonlight Sabre is a weapon more suited to infantry combat, and is especially designed for use by Blademonks. It is longer, with a less pronounced curve, and a 'hand-and-a-half' grip, allowing it to be wielded in either one or two hands as suits the situation. The blade is forged of higher quality iron, to enhance the strength, and then quenched in weak Earth Elemental’s Fortifying Elixir to further reinforce it, hopefully resulting in a weapon that can withstand the demands of Reinforcement of Cutting.

Easy: 7 + 1 (Unexpected Boon)

Our smiths set to work creating a worthy weapon for our officers to wield. With this new sabre our Blademonks have two blades of differing hardness to test their cutting techniques. It does not take long to recognise the source of their difficulty in using the Reinforcement of Cutting without breaking their own blades. The problem is twofold, first, the cutting technique does not protect the blade from the contact that is made, resulting in the weaker material breaking down in the face of a harder one. Second is the cutting technique itself. With every strike, they were not just cutting the enemy but allowing the cutting magic to rebound and cut down their own blades as well. Such rebound force was lesser than the original strike, but these echo cuts were wearing away at the blades even so.

The new sabres solved the first issue, but it is the work ethic of the Blademonks that solves the second problem. Why some are even suggesting that they could reluctantly reduce the number of blades they carry to three and wear mail.

It is now Summer, Turn 1 Battle Phase

Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2018, 04:15:18 am »

Quote from: Strategy
Push
Arcanis: (3) NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Happerry
Forested Hills: (3) NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Happerry
Jungle:

Hero
Arcanis: (3) NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Happerry

Other Strategy
-
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2018, 06:31:59 pm »

Battle Phase

Core: Turn 1 Battle

Arcanis
Plans are drawn up to march upon Arcanis. Surely there is light beyond the darkness, for who would wish to live a life devoid of the light? The challenge then is only in reaching it. Thus are the pikemen drawn up into formation to march blind but consistently forward until the light can once again be found. Some encounter obstacles in their path early; walls tough enough to resist what force can be brought against them and tall and smooth enough to rule out climbing past them. Some do not, instead discovering piles of rubble and enemy spears to defend them. Yet a spear cannot hope to hold off a pike for long and the enemy is soon pushed back far enough not to prove a major impediment.

It was pure chance that revealed a weakness in the Xi Shan fortification of Arcanis. Lady Shrivastava stood back from the darkness organising her archers, fearing that they might be called to fire blind in support of the pikes sent forth ahead of them. As pikemen clambered blindly over rubble dislodged a stone down the pile and the wall of darkness wobbled. The Lady sent a messenger immediately. It took some amount of time to find the stone of course, but once found it was a simple matter to carry it away from the city. A dome of darkness following it. With that dome removed the reality of the fortification became much more obvious. As it appears an enchanted stone is always to be found at the centre of the dome, it merely becomes a matter of identifying the placement of domes.

Unfortunately, much of the city still resides in darkness. As the domes are placed to overlap it is proving difficult to identify where one dome begins and another ends.

Hills
Using fire and steel, the Loji have recreated the weapons of our mutual enemy the Star nation. Already there are whispers in the ranks that we face defeat once again. We must unlock the secrets of magic quickly if we are to overcome this latest challenge. The pillars of flame are not inexhaustible, we estimate that an individual chanter is much more limited in their ability to deploy it than our Reinforcement of Cutting. Yet with only a few such chants their fire caused havoc against our pikes. It seems particularly effective against formations, once our enemies closed it was only used to target our Blademonks and even then inflicted injuries to their own side. If we had equipment that could contest such tight quarters fighting perhaps the battle would have been closer.

The Xi Shan have taken advantage of our disarray to steal away land in the hills. This has compounded our disadvantage and we must dislodge them before we can fully control our side of the hills once again. Here unlike at the city, we faced their clay pots filled with poison. Our alchemists do not recognise the recipe, but there is no denying they too know of the power of water. Those afflicted in battle become clumsy from the shivers and outside the battle they are struck by nightmares of some large toothed beast, dragging them beneath the water.

It is now Autumn, Turn 2 Discovery Phase
Having held the forests in the east for a year the people of Iqua have begun to develop the land (+1 Land). The high passes to the west have been investigated for ore, but nothing accessible has been found, perhaps if we had greater control of the earth things would be different.

Spoiler: Lanes (click to show/hide)

Resources: Land 3, Ore 1, Mana 2
Spoiler: Resource Development (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rune Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Discoveries (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2018, 06:43:56 pm »

Discover earth magic

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2018, 12:25:24 am »

Idea for fireproofing our clothing.
Dragon's skin
Taking two layers of cloth to cover the upper half of our soldiers body, with wax separating them and dragon's babe on the upper layer, this piece of clothing suppose to be fireproof and hopefully be cheap enough to be given to all troops.

About discovery I prefer we try something with water record our fear chant or discovery of Shadows, we might get the system associated with it.

Edit: We do have large shields don't we, we can try to do my fireproofing idea on them instead and it would probably be just a hard revision.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:18:49 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2018, 03:43:58 am »

Quote from: Discord
Rockeater Today at 9:01 AM
Any idea for an earth chant, they will be strong
NUKE9.13 Today at 9:07 AM
That's a good point, yeah.
If we can develop a "Reinforcement of Armour" chant or something, then chanters chugging Earth Elemental's Fortifying Elixir would be able to... well, use it more than usual.
Perhaps Ward(Wood), Form(Earth), Shape(Earth)?
Although, if we could get some Water in there, it might be extra effective against their Hellbringers.
Actually, perhaps Ward(Wood), Form(Earth), Shape(Water) would be better.
...no, wait, probably not.

I think our enemy has demonstrated the potential of magic exceeds that of conventional equipment. Whilst I'd still like to design better armour at some point, a chant that grants our troops magical endurance would likely be more potent, and combined with EEFE, not much less common.
I'm not sure whether it would be better to try and create such a chant this phase, or work on our rune skills this phase and try and create the chant next phase.

---

An alternative idea that just occurred to me is to work on this line:
The high passes to the west have been investigated for ore, but nothing accessible has been found, perhaps if we had greater control of the earth things would be different.
If we could devise a chant that could freely manipulate earth, it could vastly improve our mining abilities, and have other applications besides. Perhaps even the ability to create walls in seconds, which could be useful on the battlefield. Or if it works out slightly differently, it could perhaps harden armour.

[Chant: Shape(Water), Ward(Earth), Control(Earth)], perhaps?
Shape(Water) is what we're doing- making something malleable, like water.
Ward(Earth) is what we're doing it to- existing earth in a given area.
Control(Earth) is how we're doing it- by controlling it.

Or something like that.
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2018, 11:19:27 am »

I second nukes idea.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 19, 2018, 03:35:38 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Chant - Shape(Water), Ward(Earth), Control(Earth) (1): Happerry
No one seems to be talking, so here's a vote for Nuke's idea.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2018, 03:41:54 am »

Chant - Shape(Water), Ward(Earth), Control(Earth) (2): Happerry, Rockeater
Extra ore would make chainmail cheap, totally worth a shot.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 19, 2018, 03:46:30 am »

Chant - Shape(Water), Ward(Earth), Control(Earth) (3): Happerry, Rockeater, NUKE9.13
It would also make our swords cheap, letting us compensate for the weakness of pikes at close range by giving all our soldiers swords.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2018, 03:51:05 am »

Chant - Shape(Water), Ward(Earth), Control(Earth) (3): Happerry, Rockeater, NUKE9.13, detoxicated

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2018, 10:24:42 am »

I have been stricken by doubt. I think the chant I proposed wouldn't have the desired effect. The catalyst for me thinking this was the revelation by the GM that Reinforcement of Fear's range depends on the amount of plantlife (ie Wood) in the area, suggesting that the first rune might have more to do with the target than the method.

So, I suggest the following instead:

Chant - Control(Earth), Ward(Earth), Shape(Water)

Same basic idea, just swapping the first and last runes- I'm more confident that this'll do what we want than my first suggestion (like, 60% this works, 15% the first one works, 25% neither works)

Chant - Shape(Water), Ward(Earth), Control(Earth) (3): Happerry, Rockeater, detoxicated
Chant - Control(Earth), Ward(Earth), Shape(Water): (1) NUKE9.13

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2018, 01:54:00 pm »

I have been stricken by doubt. I think the chant I proposed wouldn't have the desired effect. The catalyst for me thinking this was the revelation by the GM that Reinforcement of Fear's range depends on the amount of plantlife (ie Wood) in the area, suggesting that the first rune might have more to do with the target than the method.

So, I suggest the following instead:

Chant - Control(Earth), Ward(Earth), Shape(Water)

Same basic idea, just swapping the first and last runes- I'm more confident that this'll do what we want than my first suggestion (like, 60% this works, 15% the first one works, 25% neither works)
Fair enough argument.

Chant - Shape(Water), Ward(Earth), Control(Earth) (2): Rockeater, detoxicated
Chant - Control(Earth), Ward(Earth), Shape(Water): (2) NUKE9.13, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2018, 01:58:18 pm »

Chant - Shape(Water), Ward(Earth), Control(Earth) (1):detoxicated
Chant - Control(Earth), Ward(Earth), Shape(Water): (2) NUKE9.13, Happerry,  Rockeater

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2019, 07:53:25 am »

Discovery Phase

Runic System Experiment (Chanting): Control(Earth), Ward(Earth), Shape(Water)

New Chant Discovered: Control(Earth), Ward(Earth), Shape(Water) - Spike of Mud
A chant that concentrates mud into a spike before projecting it forwards away from the speaker. The hardened mud has some amount of mass behind it and thus is capable of causing damage on impact. Once it has struck the target the spike breaks, spreading mud all around the target area.

Being aligned with the earth, this chant would benefit from the effects of Earth Elemental’s Fortifying Elixir.

It is now Autumn, Turn 2 Design Phase
Spoiler: Discoveries (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:55:14 am by Talion »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20