Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Depths of Extinction  (Read 1284 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Depths of Extinction
« on: September 29, 2018, 07:41:37 pm »

I've been playing this today and it's quite good. It's a FTL/NewCom hybrid: you select an adventure, select a sub, and select a team. Within said adventure you move through points like in FTL and go through events and/or combat, which is very xcommish. There is a levelup class system for characters (likewise vaguely similar to newcom, although a bit more detailed with stat allocation) and inventory.  Graphics are pixelstyle, and not bad at all.

My biggest criticism is that, as it stands now, it doesnt feel like you have much control over the sub and sub vs sub combat its just random events.  Nonetheless it's a fast fun addictive game

Edit: links!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/depth-of-extinction?hmb_source=search_bar

https://store.steampowered.com/app/636320/Depth_of_Extinction/

https://hofstudios.itch.io/doe

https://www.gog.com/game/depth_of_extinction
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:42:51 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depths of Extinction
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:53:46 pm »

Links?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:47:49 pm »

Hmm, looks interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 12:40:24 am »

Quote from: Steam page
As a number of factions emerge – violently vying for power – you become the sole defender of humanity’s last standing government.

Aw man, why can you never choose to play as one of the actually cool factions in games like this?! It's Heat Signature all over again... :P

The graphics and UI look cool as heck, though. I will doubtless give this a try at some point... though the current sale price ends before payday for me. Dang.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 12:41:34 pm »

Quote from: Steam page
As a number of factions emerge – violently vying for power – you become the sole defender of humanity’s last standing government.

Aw man, why can you never choose to play as one of the actually cool factions in games like this?! It's Heat Signature all over again... :P
I though we were the rebels in that one? Rebels are fun.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 11:33:26 pm »

Out of 60 some odd Steam reviews, it's hitting a 64%. Always worth the time to at least eyeball the thumbs down at least.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:54:08 am »

I honestly think it's a decent game. It's not groundbreaking but it's a fun open-ended tactical shooter. It has it's weakpoints but nothing dealbreaking I feel.

Edit: for comparison kingmaker also has "mixed" reviews. And a higher price tag and more bugs, too :p.  But its still decent :p
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:01:40 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.