Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallout Mod? (No not the MLP one)  (Read 1924 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Fallout Mod? (No not the MLP one)
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:36:02 pm »

Whatever happened to the Fallout mod Deon made? It was one of the best mods on DF and what got me into this game. Will he ever make it again?

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Mod? (No not the MLP one)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:29:08 am »

Have you considered Fallout with more dead ponies?  Dead ponies improves a lot of things.

*ahem* I did a quick search around the forums.  The fallout mod has been defunct since 2014.  Deon also did another post-apocalyptic mod that isn't strictly fallout but is clearly inspired by it that last received a content update in 2016.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 02:30:54 pm »

I'll try to pony mod since its the only real post-apoc mod for DF. I'm interested in the whole caste thing aswell..The only thing is that the Ponies using guns despite not being humanoids is kinda immersion breaking, lol.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 07:34:23 pm »

(...) The only thing is that the Ponies using guns despite not being humanoids is kinda immersion breaking, lol.

Dwarves in Fortresses: immersive
Fallout in Dwarves in Fortresses: immersive
Marshmallow ponies in Fallout in Dwarves in Fortresses: immersive
Marshmallow ponies handling guns in Fallout in Dwarves in Fortresses: no longer immersive

Whatever sinks your boat, I guess.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 08:30:45 pm »

It isn't too unreasonable how ponies use guns, lore wise.  One handed weapons are held in the mouth and fired with a mouth operated trigger. Two handed weapons use an extra front leg or two for support, but otherwise function the same. An alternative method sometimes used is to mount weapons in a "battle saddle", which is literally just a wearable cradle that carries one or more firearms with some sort of mechanism attached for firing them via leg or head movements.

The more unreasonable thing is how creatures with no opposable thumbs do anything which requires sophisticated tool use to the degree necessary to run a post industrial revolution society.  But Dwarf Fortress already ignores tools for literally everything except the blacksmith's anvil, so having thumb-less ponies making things with tools that don't exist is only piling mod silliness on vanilla silliness.

If you really wanted to, you could always mod the front leg graspers out by going into body_pony.txt and removing [GRASP] from the left and right front hooves.  That would leave non-unicorn ponies with just a mouth grasper.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 11:59:36 am »

Maybe I'll revive that mod... add yet another project to my list of "projects I'll start and add things to, and then probably never finish"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:51:00 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing a more "regular" fallout mod. Though it'd probably make more sense to play as Wastelanders rather than Brotherhood or Vault Dwellers (or some analogous faction(s).)

There's also IT's zombie apocalypse mod which got a reboot in the past year or so, though its custom tileset is kinda derpy looking, and I recall the 34.11 version being reasonably fun. Ended up with "Lumbering" zombies as watch animals due to a quirk in how "at peace with wildlife" worked at the time. It even as of the last update I played, lets you play as raiders.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 08:48:16 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing a more "regular" fallout mod. Though it'd probably make more sense to play as Wastelanders rather than Brotherhood or Vault Dwellers (or some analogous faction(s).)
The reason to use Vault Dwellers or an equivalent is because any weapons a civ has access to normally is available through metalsmithing/bowyer reactions.  Limiting Vault Dwellers to non-firearms and providing custom reactions for the player is a lot more reasonable than either stripping all firearms from wastelanders/BoS/etc civs that are playable or letting the player make assault rifles and belts of ammunition from wood.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:58:38 pm »

The reason to use Vault Dwellers or an equivalent is because any weapons a civ has access to normally is available through metalsmithing/bowyer reactions.  Limiting Vault Dwellers to non-firearms and providing custom reactions for the player is a lot more reasonable than either stripping all firearms from wastelanders/BoS/etc civs that are playable or letting the player make assault rifles and belts of ammunition from wood.

You misunderstand. I mean making them (or tribals,) the main playable faction, not an option. Honestly it's one of those situations where if you have to do that, then only having one playable civ is the best option.

Wastelanders and tribals may only have three working guns between ten people (Jackals are a good example in a fallout game - the Nipton Road Rest Stop Ambush has with AWOP installed, a whopping 4 ranged fighters out of a group of 11 people. Without it there's one guy with a handgun or repeater out of a group of five) Crossbows and bows would be reasonably common, either hand-made or scavenged, and melee or bow/crossbow combat would be a primary option for them simply because they may not have access to firearms or ammunition for them. They can also be expected to have some basic understanding of scavenging, food prep, foraging, and possibly farming, hunting, or herding, gained by living topside and fending for themselves.

Another good example are the Dead Horses, who often still rely on melee combat simply because there may not be enough weapons/ammo to go around.

In contrast, Vault Dwellers and Brotherhood can be expected to be better armed and educated, but not necessarily the best equipped to survive - The Brotherhood for instance is strongly implied to not produce its own food, trading either protection or arms and munitions for it instead. Vault Dwellers meanwhile would be in the business of building new cities and setting up farms, not digging new bunkers, and would thus transition to wastelanders themselves over time in everything but name.

So the compromise is in my opinion at least, either play as wastelanders because they simply can't always have access to modern weapons, or perhaps tribals, who have very few of them most of the time anyway barring exceptional cases like the Boomers and White Legs.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 06:01:29 pm »

If I remember right, there WAS a fallout mod, back in the really, really, *really* old days.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.