Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Skyrim/Elder scrolls political armchair thread.  (Read 8240 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim/Elder scrolls political armchair thread.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 04:14:03 am »

You are forgetting the... Maleable.. nature of the TES universe's version of time.

Take for instance, the FIVE-- yes FIVE-- different endings to daggerfall.   One of which is the ascension of the king of worms to oblivion to become a powerful god-like being, another is the ascension to tiber septim-- et al.   

ALL OF THESE ENDINGS happen SIMULTANEOUSLY.  The result is the world present in Oblivion, where the Septim Dynasty exists, orcinium is a real place, AND king of worms is able to make black soul gems, etc.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:30:02 am by wierd »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 04:30:23 am »

In some games, they ask you to complete a quiz to find out what the results of your choices in previous games was. Maybe it’ll happen in the next Elder Scrolls.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 04:33:58 am »

But that is LAME, when there is a perfectly useful mechanic to handle this baked directly into the game's lore.

Especially when it can be subsumed so deliciously into the plot narrative of how any elven attempt to undo reality is undone before it even begins, because all possible timelines exist simultaneously, and *ALL* of them are at work shaping the mythic nature of reality. (Not just the one where they might, maybe, succeed in destroying all mortal men and undoing their own existence.)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 04:44:06 am »

How would, in your opinion, they reconcile "The Dragonborn sided with the Imperials and the Stormcloaks were annihilated, Jarl Elsif was crowned High Queen and Skyrim returned as a province of the Empire" with "The Dragonborn sided with the Stormcloaks, the Imperials were driven out, Ulfric was crowned High King and Skyrim became an independent nation, hostile to the Empire" as happening at once, even with the Dragon Break multiple-realities copout?

The issue here is that you have two hotly-contended options, both of which many people are strongly invested in, which cannot directly happen. Short of another Disapperance Of The Dwemer, there is no possible outcome here no matter how much the Dragon Break blends reality into a smoothie which does not result in the post Dragonbreak outcomes of "Skyrim remains in the empire: Imperial Victory" or "Skyrim does not remain in the Empire: Stormcloak victory"

I suppose they could always say that the dragonborn didnt side with anyone and that the war ended inconclusively due to the assassination of the Emperor or something...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:46:54 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 04:49:12 am »

Let's assume for a moment, that the Aldmeri Dominion attempts a neo-convention, in order to try to undo the existing mundus, and create a "more favorable one".

In that case, Queen Elesif herself, *AND* King Ulfric Stormcloak *WILL* be in attendance.  :P  The reason, is because the very thing that makes Dierenni tower the "First, unassailable spike of reality", is the very fact that it is present in all possible timelines-- and all possible timelines will converge on the Aldmeri Wizards attempting their tower walk.

So, which one that happened--- does not matter--- as the effects of both outcomes will be manifest in the mythic retelling of the world.

Clear as mud? :P

If I were to place a mark though, I would spin it this way:

Ulfric gets the throne. Skyrim spinters away from the empire, and the empire is powerless to stop the tower walk.  (main storyline, in which protagonist is involved)

Events of the story converge on the tower walk.  As the tower walk occurs, the alternate timeline's effects manifest, and an imperial led skyrim army suddenly appears outside Direrreni tower.  This disrupts the ceremony with the echo of the denounced world, undoing the intended effect of the tower walk.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:54:44 am by wierd »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 04:54:09 am »

Let's assume for a moment, that the Aldmeri Dominion attempts a neo-convention, in order to try to undo the existing mundus, and create a "more favorable one".

In that case, Queen Elesif herself, *AND* King Ulfric Stormcloak *WILL* be in attendance.  :P  The reason, is because the very thing that makes Dierenni tower the "First, unassailable spike of reality", is the very fact that it is present in all possible timelines-- and all possible timelines will converge on the Aldmeri Wizards attempting their tower walk.

So, which one that happened--- does not matter--- as the effects of both outcomes will be manifest in the mythic retelling of the world.

Clear as mud? :P

I mean sure, a theoretical climax of the game in the adamantine tower could have both High KingQueens in attendence, but unless the entire game is taking place during the temporal-fever-dream stage of a Dragon Break, the subject of who won the most significant political event since the Great War might come up at some point, and I doubt bethesda will just softball the issue and just say "the winners of the civil war" in abstract form
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 04:59:11 am »

I threw my .02$ into that hat with an edit.

For thematic reasons, Ulfric Stormcloak getting the throne is the most interesting, as it presents a weakened empire that is more vulnerable to the wiles of the aldmeri dominion and its intended tower-walk.  This does not undo the alternative timelines where their machinations failed, as those will manifest during the tower-walk.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 08:09:49 am »

That’s not actually that bad of a possibility.
Zenimax actually patented the name “Redfall”, which is a mix of the names of two previous elder scrolls games, taking place on Hammerfall and High Rock. What’s in the Iliac bay between the two provinces, might you ask? Why, the Direnni tower, of course! The location of the last dragonbreak in the lore!
This could turn out to be important, so I’m throwing it out there.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 08:20:41 am »

Personally I'm hoping for "Jarl Balgruuf becomes High King of Skyrim" :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 08:23:31 am »

Numidium is also at the bottom of illiac bay. :P

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 08:50:15 am »

Well this has been exciting information! My only wish for "Redfall" would be able to walk to the edges of the world like Vivec and become a god lol (although that would probably wouldn't make much sense as Vivec had the most "free will", while the player character has the least.)

Personally I'm hoping for "Jarl Balgruuf becomes High King of Skyrim" :P

And yea, Balgruuf deserves to be honestly. He's much more level-headed than the rest.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 09:08:44 am »

I dunno.. He seems too busy getting drawn like one of those French Girls. :)

(ducks)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 09:14:32 am »

I see all you guys discussing all of these things, But I haven't seen anyone saay anything about the one who really deserves to be the queen of everything: Lydia
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 11:43:23 am »

WTF you guys learn that Zenimax patented Redfall and a few hours later you present a really plausible summary for the next Elder Scrolls game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 11:47:37 am »

I suppose they could always say that the dragonborn didnt side with anyone and that the war ended inconclusively due to the assassination of the Emperor or something...
Doesn't the game force you to pick a side before you can further the main storyline? Or have I just got that mixed around?

And yea, Balgruuf deserves to be honestly. He's much more level-headed than the rest.
Precisely why he'd never get it... You're either born into the station or you grasp it with fire and greed.

Queen Lydia
"I am sworn to carry everyone's burdens..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7