Finally... > Life Advice

Offline searchable linked web of pages

(1/2) > >>

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs:
I'm trying to find or build an application that can do the following:

* Display HTML pages stored on my computer
* Open links from one page to another
If HTML is infeasible, then something that does the above with plaintext would be almost as good.

(I am essentially trying to build my own offline wiki. It's for a competition that allows use of my computer but not the internet.)

ChairmanPoo:
Any web browser will do that. The onus lies on making sure the html files are properly linked

Caz:
I'm pretty sure you can download wikipedia, if that's what you are trying to do...? It's unclear.

Are you taking about putting a website on a local server instead of online?  ???

wierd:
As CP stated, ANY browser can do this.

the thing is that you will need either relative path based links (easiest to move around, these are in the form of say-- (a href="/help.html")Example(/a)), or the links will need to be updated to fit their new location.

You can clone just about any website using wget. (you can tell it to ignore robot.txt, among other things, that normally prevent automated crawling of a site.)

Trekkin:

--- Quote from: Dozebôm Lolumzalìs on September 30, 2018, 05:55:05 pm ---I'm trying to find or build an application that can do the following:

* Display HTML pages stored on my computer
* Open links from one page to another
If HTML is infeasible, then something that does the above with plaintext would be almost as good.

(I am essentially trying to build my own offline wiki. It's for a competition that allows use of my computer but not the internet.)

--- End quote ---

If you'll permit me to do that annoying geeky "are you sure you want to do that" thing, this is going to be a lot of overhead for very little gain over a single large text document if all you want to do is look things up during a competition. Is there a reason you can't just search the plaintext for what you need?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version