Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 20039 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2018, 03:08:13 pm »

Thanks, mate! Is that going to have any effect on this past turn, or will I have to wait until later checks before it becomes useful?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2018, 03:32:21 pm »

Later checks!

Hotfire90

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2018, 04:56:49 pm »

Elizabeth Rutherford

Search for some easily accessible food.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2018, 08:50:22 pm »

"Cor fucking blimey, its good to not be dead a shit."

Use materials I can easily find on the beach to make a rudimentary fishing spear
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2018, 07:19:48 am »

noting the storm rolling in, go gather some more grass and help finish the shelter.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2018, 10:50:28 am »

Um. Well then.

Yell to get the others to know my location, let them know I'm stuck, and that if we could get that rope over here to get in and out of this thing that would be useful. And also that there's a bunch of mushrooms and a nice sheltered cave here.

Then try to start a fire or something. And see if I can determine what the deal is with the questionable mushrooms.

All this said: can I use my good-luck charm to have the d6 rerolled? It seems to me like that could be useful.
I'm ok with that being a once-per-day thing, or even just one-time, or costing a karma point. It just seems like an ability that makes sense for the item.

Rodger dodger!

Ivan Semyonov

Respond to the screams of Nobody Jack by getting him out of there by the rope.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2018, 07:54:45 am »

((SORRY I thought I had posted since Day 2  :'( ))

Third mate

Wave at the cook and give a hug, share some food, and generally find food while bringing them along to do that!

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2018, 01:50:34 am »

Day 2, evening
It looks as though the storm will hit sometime before morning.

noting the storm rolling in, go gather some more grass and help finish the shelter.
Phys: 7, 2
It takes a while, but you bundle together enough grass to finish up the shelter and bring it back to Fritz. A wind begins to blow out of the east as the sky darkens...

Go chop down another tree.
Phys: 10 (15-5), 5
You drop a tree near the partly-finished shelter and split it into serviceable pieces by the end of the day.

Yell to get the others to know my location, let them know I'm stuck, and that if we could get that rope over here to get in and out of this thing that would be useful. And also that there's a bunch of mushrooms and a nice sheltered cave here.

Then try to start a fire or something. And see if I can determine what the deal is with the questionable mushrooms.

Phys: 17, 6 (Your point of karma goes away.)
You scream yourself hoarse. Your voice is actually ruined for now, you can only whisper.

Wit: 15, 3
Hitting various rocks together to shoot sparks into a pile of gathered kindling turns out to be fruitless.

Wit: 7, 3
The questionable mushrooms are definitely an inedible variety. The minute sample you tried gave you a stomache-ache and your eyes began to play tricks on you. You force yourself to throw the nibble back up. It is at this moment that Ivan's head pops up over the edge of the pit, and a rope is thrown down to where you crouch, shaking slightly after your heaving.

Respond to the screams of Nobody Jack by getting him out of there by the rope.
Luck: 8, 4
The screams were growing fainter by the time you heard them, and stopped entirely before you found out their exact origin. Eventually, you come to the edge of a steep pit some two hundred yards up-stream from the shelter-site. Some twenty feet down below you, you can see Jack, heaving on the floor. You pull him out with one of the coils of rope. As you turn back for camp, you can swear that you hear a strange clacking noise coming from the pit: perhaps a few pebbles, dislodged by Jack's ascent. The nightfall demands your return to the group, but Jack stays behind in the cave.

Search for some easily accessible food.
Luck: 14, 1
Hm... where to find something edible... Perhaps there are some slow, lazy fish in the lagoon. You wade out a short distance and stand perfectly still, your back bent, your eyes watching the water carefully. After an hour of trying this, and only scooping up a tiny guppy, you go look for some seaweed. But the seaweed all tastes horribly bitter. So you try looking for some roots or something, but they are less tubers and more just... roots. Your stomach growls hungrily as you turn back to the camp, defeated.

Highest Rank
You consider the difficulties of starting one's own kingdom, and eat a few berries from your skull.

Wave at the cook and give a hug, share some food, and generally find food while bringing them along to do that!
Luck: 13, 2
As you walk along the beach with the dejected cook, you come across a ruined satchel containing a tin of sardines. What incredible luck!
There is only enough to satisfy one of you, so you keep the sardines for yourself as the cook has some food-stuffs on his person.

You follow the Third-mate around as she goes for a walk with the cook.

Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You walk along the beach in a blue funk, the Third-mate and the Cabin-boy join you.

Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
"Cor fucking blimey, its good to not be dead a shit."

Use materials I can easily find on the beach to make a rudimentary fishing spear
Phys: 16, 1
A stick is easy enough to find, but it takes ages to find the right kind of stone. The only out-cropping you can find is 3/4s of a mile east along the beach: a lonely hill of stone rising up out of the lagoon. The tide is down, so you walk to it easily and start chipping the volcanic stone into an appropriate shape. Several tries later, you accidentally gash open your palm. Fat red droplets splatter into the sand below.
+1 Exhaustion

The Night:
Those who have it, eat some of their food as the light goes from the sky. The new-comer, William Blake, and the Ms. Rutherford go without. (+1 Exhaustion each)

The night is windy, and grows cold. The various survivors huddle underneath the unfinished shelter, or in various spots nearby. The distant rumbles grow closer and closer, and the storm hits towards morning. Drenching rain, driving winds, a stormy sea, and violent streaks of lightning that tear into the jungle around you with a cacophony of crashes. It is some hours after day-break until you realize that the new day has come.
+1 Exhaustion (everyone)

As light comes to the still-storming sky, it becomes apparent that the Third-mate is faring poorly, her health diminished greatly by the events of the last couple days. The storm continues to rage. +2 to any checks made out in the elements.

Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 3/10 checks

Build a Shelter: 11/11 Materials, 4/8 building checks
3 bundles of grasses, pulpy wood, 7 loads of palm-wood, (an extra tree's worth of wood)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:39:06 pm by Trinculoisdead »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2018, 02:01:51 am »

As light comes to the still-storming sky, it becomes apparent that the Third-mate is faring poorly, her health diminished greatly by the events of the last couple days.
((I spent a few turns doing nothing .-.
And I've been well fed.
What's with the scary exhaustion? D:Also I sadly don't know where Jack is! Nobody is communicating and that makes us all easy kills for the cultist))

Checkout the shelter and rest, I can use my resting time to ponder on the many ways the shelter is OK [BUILDING CHECK]

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2018, 02:20:38 am »

Jack came back, no worries. Ivan rescued him.

As for the 4 exhaustion: you were bitten by a venomous snake, ate said snake which turned out to also be poisonous, exhausted yourself swimming out into the lagoon, and spent half the night in the midst of a storm. It's been rough. A lot of 1s on the fate die! Sorry about the missed turns. I try not to wait more than a couple days between updates.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:24:29 am by Trinculoisdead »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:17 am »

hurry! this construction wont finish itself! at least get the roof built!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2018, 07:05:53 am »

((Wait, can I retroactively try to kill Jack so I don't gain exhaustion? I swear I had posted an action to burn 1 point of Physique to restore my lost exhaustion and continue working on the shelter, but it probably didn't post correctly because of the bad connection I had at the time. Since I had seen Jack, I was going to try kill him before the rest found out he was gone to avoid exhaustion loss and not waste food.))

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

If I can't, guess I'll burn 2 points of Physique and moan about how badly built this shelter is while not doing anything useful or helpful. Also, examine that skull I had found a while ago. Other than being mossy, does it have any other interesting qualities?

Order of the Day: Find a permanent and stable source of constant food! Fishing, hunting, farming... I don't really care about specifics, but I don't want to starve to death!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:01:57 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2018, 09:04:27 am »

1. Why did nobody take shelter in the cave I'd found?
2. No, you cannot try to kill me, because go away. You can have some mushrooms though.
3. I'm giving a meal to all the people that didn't have one this time around.

Now.
Go back to the cave area, make sure the rope is still secured there, go inside, try to make a fire and some torches, and if successful, go explore.

EDIT: In light of various question answers and retcons, my actions are instead to attempt to make fire, torches, and some kind of stone weapon(s) (knives, chisels, clubs, and axes are all good).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:00:27 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Hotfire90

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2018, 10:03:01 am »

((Out of interest, how much of my physique can I burn? Could I burn all of my 4 physique without a problem?))

Motivate the builders so they can finally finish the shelter.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2018, 10:24:48 am »

Ivan Semyonov

"It's your choice; you can stay in the cave, if you want. Just hope that the cave doesn't have any bears occupying it."

With that being said, return back to the group and rest.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17