Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 9371 times)

The_Two_Eternities

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »

Go help Mr. Hache with the shelter.
Logged
Code: [Select]
Dare I ask how you (inadvertently at that) created the psychic equivalent of a false vacuum event?
"I don't Know mysterious voice but I will"
Professor Oak will try to replicate the Physic false vacuum event.

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2018, 01:16:45 am »

Day 3, mid-day
The storm finally passes into the west, leaving behind periodic showers. An enormous double-rainbow can be seen out over the ocean. -2 to Luck checks!

Order of the Day: Find a permanent and stable source of constant food! Fishing, hunting, farming... I don't really care about specifics, but I don't want to starve to death!
+1 Karma for every successful action towards this goal. If no-one succeeds at the goal by the end of the day, everyone but the Duke gains a level of exhaustion.
Successful attempts:
-Ms. Rutherford


Push onward, Finish what i started! the shelter must hold!
Phys: 6, 5
You stand back with satisfaction and view the finished shelter. It is in the shape of a long hut, with a tall interior ceiling. The inside is bare for now, but it will do to keep you out of the elements and your gear dry.


Go help Mr. Hache with the shelter.
You return just in time to find Hache finishing the last touches of the shelter. It is complete.


Alright, let's go search the cave. A good food source (order of the day), more dry wood, etc. would all be very useful.
And keep my eye out for anything unusual. (Temple)

You climb down into the pit using one of Ivan's coils of rope. Once down, you light up one of your three torches and are about to begin exploring the depths of the cave when Ivan calls down to you. Apparently he wishes to explore at your side. Better two than one, eh? You set out.
Phys: 15, 6
The cave is most unusual, in that many passages lead off from the pit, like so many arms of an enormous star-fish. Many of them lead to deceptively-easy squeezes, and you tire yourself forcing your body through these narrow openings. At one point, Ivan becomes stuck in a narrow crevice. He seems overcome with a strange panic, and thrashes and shouts wildly! He passes out, and, unconscious, you manage to pull him free. Eventually he comes to.
+1 Exhaustion
Luck: 5 (7-2), 5 3
You do not find a long-term source of food, but you do come across more mushrooms. You find that one of the passages opens up a hundred feet from the pit, into a long cave of considerable size. Its walls are strangely melted and dark, as though an enormous fire had come through this way. It runs, as far as you can tell, inland towards the smaller of the island's two main hills.
+2 to Temple
However, a short distant further along this passage, you are suddenly surprised by the scuttling horror you encountered the night before! It rushes towards you across the volcanic floor, its milky-white pinchers clacking together as though it wishes to crush your limbs to pieces. Ivan yells at you to run, and immediately scrambles back into the darkness like a mad-man. Unequipped as you are with a proper weapon, what do you do??
(Post a response to the situation, in addition to a regular action)



Well, let's have a coconut breakfast, then I shall head out and explore the cave along with Nobody Jack.
You catch up to Jack just as he has lit a torch at the bottom of the pit. He agrees that you can join him, and the two of you set out to explore the cave.
Phys: 20, 1
Disaster! [Note from Trinculo: The worst roll in the game (1/120 odds).] At first there are simply many tight squeezes to get through, and this is unpleasant enough, as you eliminate the many passages that lead from the pit as useful routes. But on a particularly close squeeze, you feel yourself become stuck. With Jack and the torch ahead of you, you feel a horrible suspicion that some creeping, many-limbed devil is scrambling towards your exposed legs on dark claws. A cold, sweating panic overthrows your mind, and you shriek in horror and despair as the torch-light fades to nothingness...
+1 Exhaustion
When you come to, Jack has propped you up against the cold stone, and is rubbing warmth back into your cold limbs. The nagging horror still lingers in the corners of your mind, even as you fight it back with what hope you have left of escaping this darkness.
+2 to any Wit checks until you sleep the night in a shelter amongst other survivors.

Eventually, you find a passage that leads true and fairly straight inland, towards the smaller of the two hills. Your torch is beginning to fade as you hear a scuttling noise coming from ahead. A clammy pale-white shape is scurrying towards you!
Wit: 15 (13+2), 4
This is too much! Your fears are realized, and you can do nothing but flee. Even if your own mother stood in your way, you would knock her down to get out of this hell into which you have fallen. You shout at Jack to run, and scramble back the way you came.
(Post your response to this situation (overcoming your fear and helping Jack fight the creature will require a Wit check), as well as a regular action.)


Search for a good fishing spot, take my rodent with me to help me with the search.
Wit: 3, 3
You mentally gather together what you know about good fishing spots, and set out. Eventually, you find just that. Jutting out into the lagoon is a spit of rock, barely noticeable usually, that can be waded out onto during high tide, or walked onto during low tide. From it, you can see a great number of fish of all varieties that gather naturally into a large ring of coral: a kind of fish-pond within the lagoon itself. Perfect for fishing! With the right equipment, of course...
+1 Karma


Highest Rank
"Ich bereue es schon, den glühenden Angriff auf den Grundbesitzer zuzulassen..."

Try to use my exhaustive knowledge of poisons and attempt to determine if the mushrooms Nobody Jack gave me are dangerous and how. Don't touch them directly, if possible.

If I recognize them as dangerous mushrooms, I'll attempt to get him Banished next turn.
If I don't, still don't eat or touch them as I still don't trust that dude at all. He's still suspicious.

Either way, use one of the doses of poison on the mushrooms and leave them outside as bait, in front of the entrance to the shelter. Maybe a nearby animal eats them and dies, leaving us with more food than before. I already know I shouldn't eat them and this is better than just letting them be wasted.

Wit: 14, 4
The mushrooms are certainly poisonous, as well as hallucinogenic. Not fit for eating!

You dribble poison over the mushrooms, and leave them lying at the entrance to the shelter.
Luck: 3, 1
Some time later, you find a pudgy-looking rodent dead in the bushes nearby.


You take a stroll in the sunshine. It feels good after the cold and stormy night.


You go for a walk alongside the Third-mate. Such a beautiful rainbow: they mean good-luck!


Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You watch as a fat rodent nibbles on a pile of mushrooms at the entrance to the new shelter. It quickly seizes up and staggers into the bushes to die. That was... rather melancholy.


Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
You look over at the cook, and down at the bundle of mushrooms Jack gave you, and then over at the wheezing rodent. Your mushrooms don't have red spots on them at least. Right? You peer at them closely without touching them.


Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 6/10 checks

Build a Shelter: 11/11 Materials, 8/8 building checks Complete!
3 bundles of grasses, pulpy wood, 7 loads of palm-wood,

Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a volcanic tunnel leading into the island.
Ms. Rutherforth: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 03:02:14 pm by Trinculoisdead »
Logged

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2018, 01:18:09 am »

Oohoo, I'm excited for next round! I wonder, do you still need to banish someone if they've been eaten by a giant lobstrousity? :P
Best of luck to the spelunkers! (Literally, they have a bonus, heh)

CABL

  • Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2018, 04:09:32 am »

Ivan Semyonov

Stop being a pussy, then assist Jack in combat by stabbing the horror.

((Damn, twas unexpected.))
Logged
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

A Viking's Tale - Come and plunder!

I'm not as active as I've used to be on the forums, but I'll still visit it.

Dustan Hache

  • Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2018, 10:58:18 am »

Find a decently long and straight branch, then use it as a staff and go clubbin some wildlife for food.
Logged
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2018, 11:47:54 am »

First off, was my lucky charm's effect used? Thanks!

Anyway, for response: Trust to my luck to see me through. Show no fear, and impart upon the beast a feeling of friendship. Part of this friendship should be conveyed through mushrooms.

And action: Assuming I have not just been mauled or anything like that, continue looking for food and other useful materials, as well as other exits to this cavern.

EDIT: As a hobo, may I request to be skilled in looking/scavenging for useable food and materials?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 03:29:35 pm by Glass »
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2018, 11:51:18 am »

Look for another stable source of food.
Logged

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2018, 01:38:12 pm »

Oh yeah, you did make a Luck check. Let me fix that.

Hotfire90, where are you looking for a stable source of food? What kind of source?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 01:45:15 pm by Trinculoisdead »
Logged

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2018, 02:56:25 pm »

I'm searching for food in the near vicinity of the shelter, as for sources anything really, whether that'd be another fishing spot, a good place to hunt or finding a bunch of edible plants.
Logged

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2018, 08:45:54 pm »

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

That's it! I'm Banishing Nobody Jack for attempted regicide!

Also, leave the poisoned rat outside to use as bait. Maybe a larger animal eats it and also dies.
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2018, 09:02:16 pm »

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

That's it! I'm Banishing Nobody Jack for attempted regicide!
Regicide? You're not a king.
Anyway, good luck. You're not getting my food and you're banished from the cave until you're done with this nonsense.
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2018, 05:28:23 am »

 :'( ((I thought I posted! Can you auto me to food-finding if ever I'm skipped? Also to your last post, I'm very thankful we've got a considerate and communicative GM! That's real appreciated c: ))

(By the by, food being so necessary for survival, feel free to start working on a longer-term project to secure a more reliable source of it. It would probably be more satisfying for everyone than just "Looking for food".)
((May I please transform last turn into this kind of action? Dunno what to bracket it in as, because strolling around is kinda like this right!))

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

That's it! I'm Banishing Nobody Jack for attempted regicide!

Also, leave the poisoned rat outside to use as bait. Maybe a larger animal eats it and also dies.

((Alira plots to overthrow this Duke since probably Glass' character tells her and stuff and she's the next highest ranking. All will obviously be known later on and I'm RPing it :B))

I'm searching for food in the near vicinity of the shelter, as for sources anything really, whether that'd be another fishing spot, a good place to hunt or finding a bunch of edible plants.
Alira joins in, given her knowledge of the many things ship-worthy? She assumes she can apply the same manner of forage and cartographic knowledge used to sustaining a ship, to this context. Officers gotta be knowledgeable \o/
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

The_Two_Eternities

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2018, 11:33:28 am »

Go try and find a group of banana trees. Or banana bushes. Try to find bananas in general, I suppose.
Logged
Code: [Select]
Dare I ask how you (inadvertently at that) created the psychic equivalent of a false vacuum event?
"I don't Know mysterious voice but I will"
Professor Oak will try to replicate the Physic false vacuum event.

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2018, 03:46:23 pm »

Day 3, afternoon
The afternoon is sunny and clear, the world is still wet and dripping, but gloriously clean.

Order of the Day: Find a permanent and stable source of constant food! Fishing, hunting, farming... I don't really care about specifics, but I don't want to starve to death!
+1 Karma for every successful action towards this goal. If no-one succeeds at the goal by the end of the day, everyone but the Duke gains a level of exhaustion.
Successful attempts:
-Ms. Rutherford
-Fritz


Find a decently long and straight branch, then use it as a staff and go clubbin some wildlife for food.
You find a good-enough staff in the pile of scrap wood left behind by Fritz, and go on the hunt for wild-life.
Luck: 2, 4
Treading quietly through the sodden jungle, you come across a wild sow with several young ones grunting at her heels.
Phys: 9, 6
You leap forward from cover, catching one of the piglets a tremendous whack on the head. It drops like a stone, but your energetic leap lands you right in the midst of the litter. The frightened, but furious, mother drives under your legs, flipping you end-over-end like a scare-crow. She turns as if to come at you again, and you grab the dead piglet and sprint towards the shore.


Go try and find a group of banana trees. Or banana bushes. Try to find bananas in general, I suppose.
You have bananas on the brain, and begin to search for the plants.
Wit: 9, 2
You eliminate several areas automatically: the soil is too weak here along the dunes. You decide to trek further inland, to higher and richer ground.
Long-term project: Find banana grove. 1/3
+1 Karma


You are suddenly surprised by the scuttling horror you encountered the night before! It rushes towards you across the volcanic floor, its milky-white pinchers clacking together as though it wishes to crush your limbs to pieces.
Trust to my luck to see me through. Show no fear, and impart upon the beast a feeling of friendship. Part of this friendship should be conveyed through mushrooms.
Pers: 10, 6
You hurriedly hold forth a bundle of mushrooms to the creature. It snaps them out of your hand, ripping them to shreds with rapid twists of its limbs. The creature then jabs aggressively at your outstretched hands. You do not react, even as the claws cut deeply into your arm. It jerks back, and ignores you, scurrying after Ivan instead. In the last light of the torch, you watch as Ivan drives his dagger into the head of the creature, sending it thrashing into its death-throes.
+1 Exhaustion
Assuming I have not just been mauled or anything like that, continue looking for food and other useful materials, as well as other exits to this cavern.
The flesh of the creature you have killed is dark and smells of some kind of corruption. You decide that it is not good for eating.
Luck: 9, 2 1
You light your second torch, and continue exploring. Your usual foraging abilities are of little help in this strange underground world, and you find no more mushrooms. The passage you have been following inland goes on and on, until Ivan can take it no longer and demands that you return to daylight. One back in the pit, he climbs up and out, but you explore a little more, finding that one of the other passages leading from this pit climbs up and out, surfacing a hundred yards away from the pit in some thick bushes.


Stop being a pussy, then assist Jack in combat by stabbing the horror.
You try to will yourself to turn towards Jack and the creature.
Wit: 11, 1
And are barely able to summon the mental strength. You stop running and turn, drawing your knife as the scaley white monster leaps toward you.
Phys: 1, 5
[haha, and there's the best possible result]
You leap towards the monstrous lobster even as it does the same. Your dagger penetrates through the soft tissues at the base of its eye-stalks, driving into the brain beyond. It is mortally wounded, but it is a long time before its body stops thrashing and bumping into the walls of the tunnel. You explore further along this tunnel, but eventually your fear of the dark returns, and you and Jack return to the pit, and daylight.


I'm searching for food in the near vicinity of the shelter, as for sources anything really, whether that'd be another fishing spot, a good place to hunt or finding a bunch of edible plants.
Wit: 17, 4
You join old man Williams in looking for a grove of bananas. You are of little help, these midges are too distracting! "What does a banana tree look like anyway?", you find yourself asking yourself. Alira joins you too.


Highest Rank
Also, leave the poisoned rat outside to use as bait. Maybe a larger animal eats it and also dies.
You push the dead rodent into a, hopefully, tasty-looking position with a stick.
Luck: 10, 3
A larger rodent comes along and gnaws at its dead cousin. This new one stiffens and retches blood onto the ground before rolling onto its side.

That's it! I'm Banishing Nobody Jack for attempted regicide!
Pers: 12 (15-3), 3
You wait until the survivors are mostly gathered together, and then begin enumerating why Nobody Jack must be driven out to fend for himself. Your broken English gets the crux of the point across, but everyone is confused: "'Nobody' Jack has been helpful of late, surely there must be some mistake?" You are unable to leverage your position of power to have him banished.


Alira joins in, given her knowledge of the many things ship-worthy? She assumes she can apply the same manner of forage and cartographic knowledge used to sustaining a ship, to this context. Officers gotta be knowledgeable \o/
Wit: 1, 4
It is not your ship-knowledge so much as the fact that you have seen a banana plant before that helps you as you scout through the dense jungle with Fritz and Ms. Rutherford. After hours of searching you spot a likely-looking clump of greenery at the top of a cliff. You find a way around to the top, and come across a clump of banana plants! They are about 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter.
This grove can supply 1d6 meals' worth of fresh banana trees once per day. You gather: 6 meals' worth.
+1 Karma
"((May I please transform last turn into [looking for a long-term food source]? Dunno what to bracket it in as, because strolling around is kinda like this right!))"
It's lame that your posts keep getting lost, but no I'm not going to ret-con that, sorry!


The weather is lovely, and everything is so clear! Your heart swells with the beauty of this place.


Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You watch as the duke places the dead rodent near the front of the entrance. After a while, a larger rodent comes along and starts eating it. This one dies pretty quickly too. Did you miss something?


Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
Seriously what is going on with these rodents and the Duke? Is this.. normal for the nobility? You think back to several pamphlets you read while in a French port. Maybe they were on to something...


Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 6/10 checks

Find banana-tree grove. 3/3 Complete!

Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a deep pit leading to a volcanic tunnel that heads underground toward the shorter hill.
Ms. Rutherford: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.
Alira Sibata: a grove of banana plants, 1d6 meals' worth of bananas once per day. 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter. (it takes an action to go harvest them)

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:16:04 pm by Trinculoisdead »
Logged

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2018, 03:58:20 pm »

Bushes! Forage for food in them! And (order of the day) see if I can find any really big collections of food!
And also (temple) see if I can find any signs of stuff in the direction the tunnel was going, assuming I can even tell which direction that was in.
And try making tools. Or at least a basket of some kind to collect food in.
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17