Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 9390 times)

Dustan Hache

  • Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2018, 04:00:51 pm »

no. No retreat! lets beat this boar at her game by turning around and jousting that sucker! that’ll get us some food to last!
Logged
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2018, 06:08:17 am »

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

Fine, I can try tomorrow. Now, assuming no one shares food with me, try to search some nearby bushes for edible berries. Otherwise, I would start starving.

Dump the poisoned rats and mushrooms outside, I'm not going to eat those since the poison in them would probably affect me. Hope a large enough animal that isn't a rodent eats them and dies.
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

CABL

  • Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2018, 06:31:49 am »

Ivan Semyonov

Now that I'm back at the surface, go sit against some palm and smoke tobacco to calm myself.
Logged
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

A Viking's Tale - Come and plunder!

I'm not as active as I've used to be on the forums, but I'll still visit it.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2018, 06:59:03 am »

Quote
Take Command: Following a round in which you successfully completed an action and rolled a 4 or a 5 on the d6, or if you have at least 3 Karma, you may attempt to take over the position of highest-rank amongst the survivors. Make a Personality check as normal, but add +1 to your roll for each character on the island of higher rank than yourself (if you are higher rank than the current leader, deduct 1 from your roll). If you give a compelling speech explaining why you should be the new leader, you will make the Personality roll as though proficient. This action can only be taken once per day, by anyone (i.e. only one change of leadership per day).
(Harvest them BANANAS)

Alira came to the shelter, arms full of nice bananas (and a lack of banana spiders), as she witnessed the awesome lexicon of German and other languages at Jack. She dropped the stack of food (nicely) on a banana leaf and looked at the Duke in the eye.

Take Command, also [TEMPLE], because I bet my navigating skills as an officer helps chart out stuff for the checks!
...Ok more seriously, my weather knowledge as cartographical first aid.

...Also share food with the Duke! :B Because I notice he has none. Also announce that I found food and there will be more tomorrow! The whole 5 other stacks are shared to whomever wants, because I'm announcing it. Also give those two other top hats to others who want.

Quote
Take Command: Following a round in which you successfully completed an action and rolled a 4 or a 5 on the d6, or if you have at least 3 Karma, you may attempt to take over the position of highest-rank amongst the survivors. Make a Personality check as normal, but add +1 to your roll for each character on the island of higher rank than yourself (if you are higher rank than the current leader, deduct 1 from your roll). If you give a compelling speech explaining why you should be the new leader, you will make the Personality roll as though proficient. This action can only be taken once per day, by anyone (i.e. only one change of leadership per day).
"Dear Duke, I realize this man was not part of our crew manifest--but we need all hands in this predicament, with a breakdown of our command. I respectfully relieve you of your duty and hereby take command, in the lack of a suitable captain; we require an attitude that considers all people present as a whole, and not by parts. We can squabble all we want, but we will not survive unless we help each other: We have greater enemies, like the elements and whatever else lies out there," she said, omitting that strange green glow that somehow cued in mind at the moment. "And to this, I want some organization. Just like any community, we're all we have, and we have enough pooled knowledge to achieve our goals. I will be keeping track of all these, and organizing the people around. We merely need to communicate more, else we will fall into distrust and disorganization."
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2018, 07:42:16 am »

Join Alira in exploring the island. [Temple]
Logged

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2018, 08:21:33 am »

The duke just shrugs. The rest of the survivors didn't really listen to his orders, so it might be better to hand over command to someone he trusted instead.

"Kartoffeln. Ich, Lord Adalhard I, Duke von Regensburg und King von Müllhaufen, declare you Baron von Müllhaufen."

The Duke grants Alira the rank of Baron. Agree to leave the Third Mate in command of the peasants, as long as she also agrees to allow me to keep my castle (shelter), kingdom (island) and the right to also be able to kick anyone out of my house, like that stowaway that just tried to poison me. Trying to get to a middle point and keep some of my stuff.
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2018, 12:28:43 pm »

The Duke grants Alira the rank of Baron. Agree to leave the Third Mate in command of the peasants, as long as she also agrees to allow me to keep my castle (shelter), kingdom (island) and the right to also be able to kick anyone out of my house, like that stowaway that just tried to poison me. Trying to get to a middle point and keep some of my stuff.
Suggest the Duke do something :3 because he gots to do an action! And sure. Stowaway sleeps on my side of the shelter. Strikethroughs for seriousness but more for nudging you to do something and she's just taking command is all.
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

The_Two_Eternities

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2018, 01:27:34 pm »

Go explore the island [TEMPLE] since it seems important.
Logged
Code: [Select]
Dare I ask how you (inadvertently at that) created the psychic equivalent of a false vacuum event?
"I don't Know mysterious voice but I will"
Professor Oak will try to replicate the Physic false vacuum event.

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2018, 09:30:31 pm »

Day 3, evening
The evening is cool, but mild.

Order of the Day: Find a permanent and stable source of constant food! Fishing, hunting, farming... I don't really care about specifics, but I don't want to starve to death!
+1 Karma for every successful action towards this goal. If no-one succeeds at the goal by the end of the day, everyone but the Duke gains a level of exhaustion.
Successful attempts:
-Ms. Rutherford
-Fritz


no. No retreat! lets beat this boar at her game by turning around and jousting that sucker! that’ll get us some food to last!
Phys: 17, 1
This isn't right, you tell yourself, you shouldn't be fleeing from a pig! You turn around and start hunting again in the direction the wild sow ran. You find a trail made by many little hooves, and follow it inland to the base of a cliff. You can see the pig and her piglets drinking from a shadowed-over pool. Gripping your staff, you break from cover and charge the mother. She squeals, all of her piglets squeal, and then a much gruffer squeal erupts from a dark shape with sharp tusks swooping in from the bushes. The boar! It slashes a horrid gash into your leg as you attempt to beat it away from you or kill it. +1 Exhaustion
Phys: 18, 6
The boar's assault is too furious! You manage to land a terrific crack on one of its hind legs, wounding the beast and giving it a hard limp. But in return the boar knocks you down into the mud and rips another cut down the length of your ribs on your left side.
+1 Exhaustion
The pigs retreat from the scene as you lie, gasping, in the bloody mud. You climb shakily to your feet, and stagger as quickly as you can back to the shelter, after tying some of your clothes into makeshift bandages.
 You cook the piglet for dinner. It is delicious.


Go explore the island [TEMPLE] since it seems important.
Wit: 17, 2
You wander with little sense of direction upstream. Like Dustan before you, you come across signs of former human habitation: piles of old shells, some fallen-in shelters, but find little of import. Eventually you turn back to the shelter.
You eat a coconut for dinner.


Bushes! Forage for food in them!
Luck: 17, 2 6
The bushes contain nothing edible. So you have a meal of mushrooms for dinner.

And (order of the day) see if I can find any really big collections of food!
You heard that there were a bunch of bananas bushes at the top of the cliffs about 15 minutes walk inland, and a good fishing spot out in the lagoon, so that's something. But to find your own unique means of acquiring a lot of food, you'll have to decide where and what to look for.

And also (temple) see if I can find any signs of stuff in the direction the tunnel was going, assuming I can even tell which direction that was in.
Wit: 5, 1
You could tell that the tunnel was leading, for as long as you followed it, towards the smaller of the two hills that dominate the sky-line. You follow a course inland that you believe runs parallel to the tunnel below, and promptly trip over a stone marker that has been firmly set into the ground. You scrape away the moss, and uncover the chiseled image of a human hand. A left one, it looks like. As your eyes look at this engraving, you feel a slight pain in your left hand, followed by a tingling sensation as if the blood was rushing back into it. This sensation passes quickly.
+1 to [Temple]
And try making tools. Or at least a basket of some kind to collect food in.
Wit: 18, 5
You see a type of vine that might work as material for a basket, but there isn't much of it growing nearby.
It begins to grow dark, so you return to the shelter.


Now that I'm back at the surface, go sit against some palm and smoke tobacco to calm myself.
Pers: 20, 6
You quite over-do it, and end up with a stomach-ache. A gloomy mood overcomes you as the sun begins to set.
+1 Exhaustion
Alira shares bananas with you, and you eat them for dinner.


Join Alira in exploring the island. [Temple]
Wit: 9, 5
Alira seems quite busy practicing some kind of speech down on the beach. So you decide to go explore by yourself. You walk into the jungle, following the route towards the banana bushes, but then you veer to the north-east as you approach the low cliff that runs along this stretch of the island. You find a route up to the top of it--back-sliding in the heavy loam, grasping at roots--and, breathing heavily, come face to face with Nobody Jack, the unknown stranger that washed up on the shore with the rest of you! He is just straightening up from a stone marker in the ground and rubbing his left hand. He seems friendly enough and the two of you get along. Touching the stone marker (it has a left hand carved into it) causes a sharp pain to appear in your left hand. Intrigued, you explore another half mile inland--searching for hours--and find another marker, this one showing a right hand. Touching this one causes a brief pain to appear in your right hand. Your fingers tingle mysteriously. It begins to grow dark, so you return to the shelter.
Alira gives you some bananas, you eat them for dinner.
+2 to [Temple]


Fine, I can try tomorrow. Now, assuming no one shares food with me, try to search some nearby bushes for edible berries. Otherwise, I would start starving.
Alira shares a meal of bananas with you. You eat them for dinner.
Dump the poisoned rats and mushrooms outside, I'm not going to eat those since the poison in them would probably affect me. Hope a large enough animal that isn't a rodent eats them and dies.
Luck: 4, 2
You dump the rodents a little further from the shelter. You come back later and find a very large lizard has attempted to eat the larger rodent and choked to death on it.


  Highest Rank
Take Command
As the various survivors gather in the shelter that evening, you hand out bundles of bananas to the less fortunate, including the Duke. +5 Karma Then, you confront the banana-peeling noble about his attempt to banish Nobody Jack earlier.
"Dear Duke, I realize this man was not part of our crew manifest--but we need all hands in this predicament, with a breakdown of our command. I respectfully relieve you of your duty and hereby take command, in the lack of a suitable captain; we require an attitude that considers all people present as a whole, and not by parts. We can squabble all we want, but we will not survive unless we help each other: We have greater enemies, like the elements and whatever else lies out there," she said, omitting that strange green glow that somehow cued in mind at the moment. "And to this, I want some organization. Just like any community, we're all we have, and we have enough pooled knowledge to achieve our goals. I will be keeping track of all these, and organizing the people around. We merely need to communicate more, else we will fall into distrust and disorganization."
Pers: 1 (4+1-5), 5
Several people were nodding in agreement as you spoke (especially Nobody Jack), and at the end of your speech appreciative applause and calls of "That's right! Like she said!" and "What do we need a Duke for anyway!" ring out from the assembly.
The Duke shrugs in accord, but then offers the title of Baron von Müllhaufen in exchange for his being allowed to banish people from the shelter.
"Kartoffeln. Ich, Lord Adalhard I, Duke von Regensburg und King von Müllhaufen, declare you Baron von Müllhaufen."
This offer is, however, drowned out by the excitement of the crowd. You are hoisted into the air by hands sticky with banana, and three cheers go up for your good health. You are the new leader of the survivors!
You eat your bananas for dinner.


The shelter is actually quite cozy inside. Once Dustan makes a fire at one end, the smell of cooking piglet fills the hall. The Third-mate gives you some bananas, they are quite tasty!


Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You take a stroll off into the bushes to have a whee, and stumble across a large lizard choking to death on one of the dead rats from earlier. That was rather unsettling...
You have some vegetables for dinner.


Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
The Duke gets overthrown by the Third-mate. Haha! The French would be proud, you think to yourself.
Alira gives you bananas, you eat them.

Night-time, d6: [4]
The night passes uneventfully. Ivan begins to cheer up, and a general sense of security and good-will pervades the shelter. Alira is turning out to be an excellent leader already! Discovering the bananas and then dividing them so generously, coupled with Dustan and Fritz's efforts on the shelter, have left you immeasurably better off than the night before, during the horrible storm!

You rest peacefully, but in the morning Alira recalls a dream-version of the events of the night before. Nearly everyone is cheering and clapping their hands and slapping you on the back, but Jack's left hand is bathed in a greenish light, as are both of Ms. Rutherford's. The Duke, however, seems to glow from within with a sickly pale hue, like some kind of rotted jack-o-lantern.
Everyone is well-fed and well-sheltered, and so you all lose a level of exhaustion!

Morning of the fourth day, d6: 1
The morning dawns blustery. A cool wind is blowing in from the east, making the palms sway from side to side and groan like men in pain.
Stretching and yawning, William Blake goes out to the dunes to tend to his morning necessaries. But not two minutes later, he bursts backs in with wide eyes and a face red from running. He runs to and fro, shaking the others awake and shouting in their sleepy faces, "A sail! A sail to the south!"



Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 9/10 checks

Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a deep pit leading to a volcanic tunnel that heads underground toward the shorter hill.
Ms. Rutherford: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.
Alira Sibata: a grove of banana plants, 1d6 meals' worth of bananas once per day. 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter. (it takes an action to go harvest them)

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.


« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:41:01 am by Trinculoisdead »
Logged

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2018, 10:08:39 pm »

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

I'm tired of staying in my castle and doing nothing. [TEMPLE] Go explore again!
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2018, 10:49:43 pm »

So close to the Temple!

By the way Tiruin, don't forget to set an Order of the Day in addition to your other action, if you wish.

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2018, 11:19:35 pm »

Let's check out my left hand. That was a weird thing last night.
Also, let's go looking for more if those vines. If I can make a basket, do so.
Additionally, go forage some more. Maybe for some more mushrooms, or eggs.
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dustan Hache

  • Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2018, 11:34:10 pm »

what the heck is up with these rolls?! I’ve been getting nothing but extremes, often with high numbers for the stat roll and fails/overshoots on the typical D6 with seemingly no offsetting by my massive Phys stat.
as if I needed any more motivation to do nothing, my exaustion has gone up not once, but TWICE. At this rate my actions will always be “do nothing” and “eat” unless I somehow roll poorly on those too and end up choking on my remaining rations of jerky and piglet.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:42:51 am by Dustan Hache »
Logged
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

The_Two_Eternities

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2018, 12:21:51 am »

Go harvest the bananas.
Logged
Code: [Select]
Dare I ask how you (inadvertently at that) created the psychic equivalent of a false vacuum event?
"I don't Know mysterious voice but I will"
Professor Oak will try to replicate the Physic false vacuum event.

CABL

  • Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2018, 08:02:02 am »

Ivan Semyonov

Well, let's do a quick coconut breakfast!
Pull some coconuts from the trees. Alternatively, help with the banana harvest.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:43:19 am by CABL »
Logged
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

A Viking's Tale - Come and plunder!

I'm not as active as I've used to be on the forums, but I'll still visit it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17