Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 9425 times)

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2018, 06:03:39 pm »

Go forage for food. See if I can find some more banana bushes. [OotD]
I take it you wish to be eaten by a tiger?
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2018, 08:54:47 pm »

(("Yeah, sure. Drag anyone who doesn't refuse or who isn't currently doing anything with me to the temple expedition." With this, I meant to bring Aigresaur, William and Jack since they were inactive, not doing anything or were capable of refusing. Can I roll for taking them with me so Elizabeth agrees to go to the temple to be introduced to the cult?))
Certainly you can! As long as Alira Sibata, the new leader of the survivors, does not set some other task for them during the same round.
((Alright.))

Request Alira that she doesn't give orders to Aigresaur, William and Jack. Bring them with me to the temple to explore it, and also bring Elizabeth with me now that I have the extra people she requested.
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2018, 11:32:21 am »

(("Yeah, sure. Drag anyone who doesn't refuse or who isn't currently doing anything with me to the temple expedition." With this, I meant to bring Aigresaur, William and Jack since they were inactive, not doing anything or were capable of refusing. Can I roll for taking them with me so Elizabeth agrees to go to the temple to be introduced to the cult?))
Certainly you can! As long as Alira Sibata, the new leader of the survivors, does not set some other task for them during the same round.
((Alright.))

Request Alira that she doesn't give orders to Aigresaur, William and Jack. Bring them with me to the temple to explore it, and also bring Elizabeth with me now that I have the extra people she requested.
((We're all going to ded, also Trincu! Can we have a numerical counter when you updoot the time of day? I personally have a bad time remembering descriptive vs numerical timers, like [3/4] and all with the title? That would help a lot, and thanks either way!))
"Oh? Well...alright. I guess they can have some time with leave. I remember the temples of my home, they were very serene and gave tranquility to rest any fatigue. I hope the same is said here. When you're all done I expect some food and forage help at the southern end of the island alright? I'll mark where we are so you can see us from afar. I am very glad I have supplies for semaphore."

Guess it's up to rolls who they'll follow but I'm ok with all of them going with the cultist leader Duke.

Anyway, GUIDE THAT SHIP to safety with my trained eye and these nice semaphore flags I rigged up! I have a ton of improvised materials. A TON! (Also I'd personally order the cook to cook up some party food because we are exhausted as boots, but it's up to rolls. Either they follow me or him, I'm not forcing anyone at this point other than informing)

Spending Karma for perfection, since I guess the rules must've meant "You must spend karma before the roll is known for your action".


« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:37:23 am by Tiruin »
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2018, 11:46:16 am »

Go to the Temple with the duke and the commoners.
Logged

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2018, 03:36:53 am »

Day 4, evening (4/4)

Order of the Day: Get abundant food enough to feed everyone tonight! All found food should be dumped in the shelter. No stealing please! (In other words, all food found with this order in mind does not go to your personal inventory, but to a stock-pile in the shelter.)
+1 Karma for every successful action towards this goal. If no-one succeeds at the goal by the end of the day, everyone but the Duke gains a level of exhaustion.
Fritz: 3 bundles of bananas
"Nobody" Jack: a bundle of roots, and 2 piles of mushrooms
Aigresaur and Dustan: 10 meal's worth of raw pork.

Finish the butchering  and start cooking to the best of my abilities. There has to be some salvageable muscle-meat on this boar!
Also, deposit half of it raw into the stockpile, being careful not to mingle it with the rest of the non-meat foodstuffs.

Wit: 14, 2
It is slow-going. First the fire doesn't start right, and then cutting the carcass apart is unbelievably difficult using only sharp rocks. And then your roasting sticks keep catching fire and dropping chunks of meat into the coals! You're still struggling with it when who should walk up but the ship's cook! He makes a few quips about how the best way to eat the meat is raw, and goes so far as to bite savagely into a haunch of pig. You stop this silly behaviour, and he wipes the blood off his face and sets to work. Apparently Alira sent him.
Wit: 1(3-5), 5
With his help, you are able to butcher the carcass with satisfying efficiency. Aigresaur brings out his cooking pot, and you make some mouth-watering stew. Half of the meat you wrap in green leaves and set aside in the store-room. You cut the rest into strips and begin smoking it over a slow-burning fire. You're not sure if pork can be smoked, but damnit you'll try!
+5 meals' worth of stew, 5 meals' worth of smoked ham done by morning God-willing. And 10 meals of raw pork in the store-room (will not last long in this comfortable weather!)


Spoiler: "[s (click to show/hide)
Go forage for food. See if I can find some more banana bushes. [OotD]
You venture alone into the jungle, trekking along the top of the cliffs, searching for banana bushes.
A haiku, composed in memorandum:

Banana bushes?
The Old Man hears a twig break
A flash of orange!

Fritz does not return that evening.


I’ll try to look for things I can make tools out of. Handle-sized branches, moderately sharp rocks, palm fronds that I can use for bindings or basket-weaving, etc.
Luck: 12 (9-5), 4/1
You collect a sizable pile of useful materials. The question now becomes, what to make?


Ass!

Lick my cut finger, then await orders from Alira.

Phys: 17 (16+1), 4
Licking somehow makes it feel worse. But Alira doesn't bother you with any commands, so you can take it easy. The ache in your cuts goes away after a while.


Go to the Temple with the duke and the commoners.
The five of you make your way through the jungle to the base of the shorter of the two hills. Here you find a flight of wide stone steps that run up the hillside until ending abruptly at two large black pillars. Is this all the temple there is? Rather paltry, in your opinion. Although the fading light does grant it an air of imminent danger. That's exciting, at least. The rodent squirms uncomfortable in your deep skirt-pocket.


Request Alira that she doesn't give orders to Aigresaur, William and Jack. Bring them with me to the temple to explore it, and also bring Elizabeth with me now that I have the extra people she requested.
"Oh? Well...alright. I guess they can have some time with leave. I remember the temples of my home, they were very serene and gave tranquility to rest any fatigue. I hope the same is said here. When you're all done I expect some food and forage help at the southern end of the island alright? I'll mark where we are so you can see us from afar. I am very glad I have supplies for semaphore."
Happy day! You pull William off of foraging duty (the cook is busy), and the young Jack away from Alira's side. After gathering Ms. Rutherford, off into the jungle you go!
While climbing up the low cliffs in the jungle, you can swear you hear a man scream. Probably just a memory of that stone face! You arrive back at the stairs and pillars in good time, just as the sun begins to set.


  Highest Rank
Anyway, GUIDE THAT SHIP to safety with my trained eye and these nice semaphore flags I rigged up! I have a ton of improvised materials. A TON! (Also I'd personally order the cook to cook up some party food because we are exhausted as boots, but it's up to rolls. Either they follow me or him, I'm not forcing anyone at this point other than informing)

Spending Karma for perfection, since I guess the rules must've meant "You must spend karma before the roll is known for your action".

You order Aigresaur to go cook up some food. He stomps off towards where Dustan struggles with the boar carcass.
Then you set out to guide the Dutch vessel into the lagoon.
-3 Karma
Wit: 1, 5
Incredible success! With the help of some complicated semaphore directions and your good sense of the hidden reefs, you are able to direct the Dutch merchant ship through the break-water and into the lagoon. The sailors weigh anchor as the sun begins to set on the horizon, The ship's sails turning blood-red as its small crew furl them. A boat containing two men pushes away from the vessel. As they draw near you can see that one is clearly the captain from his garb, while the other is probably a . Both men are gaunt and harried, with blood-shot eyes as though they had not slept for some days. But as you and the cook and Dustan greet them on the shore with the pot of stew, looks of unsought-for relief come to their exhausted faces. The captain, a portly man with thinning grey hair and a very red face, bows to you and introduces himself.
"Hello, I am Captain Visser, employed by the Badaeker Shipping Company out of Rotterdam. I..." And he swallows down some troubling emotion, turning briefly toward his ship at anchor and then back to you, "I'm afraid we're rather short on hands. A bad case of scurvy, most likely." He clears his throat and looks you in the eye, "Do I have your permission to disembark and gather provisions?"


The Third-mate makes you go with the smelly old German noble. What a bother!


Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You do enjoy some nice pork. You imagine that you have brought down the pig yourself, in a frenzy of pre-historic savagery!


Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
And now you're sent off with this noble to go traipsing around for some temple. You're a sailor, or a farmer, not an explorer! You shoot some daggers with your eyes at Dustan as you pass by the clumsy butcher.


Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a deep pit leading to a volcanic tunnel that heads underground toward the shorter hill.
Ms. Rutherford: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.
Alira Sibata: a grove of banana plants, 1d6 meals' worth of bananas once per day. 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter. (it takes an action to go harvest them)
Duke Adalhard: The Eldritch Temple! Permanent +2 Luck to all survivors, and anyone who wishes may now travel to the temple to become an initiate into the secret murder cult, gaining any and all benefits. Additionally, killing a Secret Murder Cultist now grants 3 less Exhaustion to the killer than previously.

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.
Food-store: 3 bundles of bananas, a bundle of roots, 2 piles of mushrooms, some spiky sea-creatures, 10 meals' worth of raw pork


Night-time settles over the island. The survivors are divided, with The Duke, Ms. Rutherford, William, and Young Jack spending the night deep in the jungle at the temple; and everyone else either resting in the shelter or not-yet-returned from foraging for food.
Dinner is eaten, and you settle in the for the night.

(Note: I feel that I should give a chance to anyone who wants it to do something during the night-time in addition to resting. Let's try a special night-time round just to accommodate the unusual circumstances. So post something your character does this night ("rest" is a fine option if you just want to sleep), keeping in mind the limitations and increased difficulty of some tasks at night.)


(p.s. the tiger rule remains in effect.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:04:05 pm by Trinculoisdead »
Logged

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2018, 11:50:02 am »

I’m pretty sure Aigre is the only one with any citrus, and hats just one ration. We’d need more of the stuff to be able to help with the scurvy at all.

Anyway, I think I may as well make an axe and a basket. The axe would be helpful to both cut down trees for more resources as well as for defending myself, while the basket, as with the last one I made (minus the “falling apart”) should be helpful for actually collecting those resources.
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dustan Hache

  • Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2018, 11:54:24 am »

excuse me, shouldnt Agiere and I be credited to the current daily order? we added 10 rations of raw food the the stores and have another 10 being cooked with the ETA being next turn completed.
Logged
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

CABL

  • Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2018, 12:28:02 pm »

Ivan Semyonov

Rest time


((If only we had some citrus fruits to help these scurvy Dutchmen))
Logged
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

A Viking's Tale - Come and plunder!

I'm not as active as I've used to be on the forums, but I'll still visit it.

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2018, 01:44:40 pm »

"So this is the temple? I didn't expect it to be that disappointing, I just hope that it contains at least some treasure."

Instruct Jack and William to search and collect treasure for me.
While they're off searching for treasure, I will inspect the two pillars, see whether I can determine what kind of temple it is and whether I can find some hidden switch leading to the real temple.


Logged

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2018, 03:01:42 pm »

excuse me, shouldnt Agiere and I be credited to the current daily order? we added 10 rations of raw food the the stores and have another 10 being cooked with the ETA being next turn completed.
Quite right! You should both have +1 karma.

Also, just so everyone is clear, you'll remove a level of exhaustion if you spend this Night turn in a shelter. The group out in the jungle will not, unless they head back to the shelter.

Dustan Hache

  • Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2018, 03:42:37 pm »

eat my jerky and share some with the cook, since they helped me out. Try to sharpen a rock into a makeshift blade using my spare time.
Logged
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2018, 11:17:38 am »

Try to explain to Elizabeth and the rest that this temple belonged to my ancestors, and that some text in old german explained that the family crest I was carrying had to be bathed with blood to open the way. Request them to use the edges of the broken family crest, as it might open the way to the temple and the treasure of my royal bloodline.
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2018, 03:08:53 pm »

Day 4, night (special) (5/4)

Order of the Day: Get abundant food enough to feed everyone tonight! All found food should be dumped in the shelter. No stealing please! (In other words, all food found with this order in mind does not go to your personal inventory, but to a stock-pile in the shelter.)
+1 Karma for every successful action towards this goal. If no-one succeeds at the goal by the end of the day, everyone but the Duke gains a level of exhaustion.
Fritz: 3 bundles of bananas
"Nobody" Jack: a bundle of roots, and 2 piles of mushrooms
Aigresaur and Dustan: 10 meal's worth of raw pork.

eat my jerky and share some with the cook, since they helped me out. Try to sharpen a rock into a makeshift blade using my spare time.
Wit: 11, 4
You toss some jerky to the cook (+1 Karma), and gnaw on some yourself as you chip away at a promising bit of stone. You are nearly finished putting a passable edge on the stone when it cracks in half. You hear a low chuckle and look up to find that one of the eight Dutch sailors taking refuge in the shelter with you is watching your efforts. Half of the sailors were pale and feverish and had to be helped to shore by the others, and this is one of that number. He is propped up against a gunny-sack, and his chuckle ends abruptly when he sees that you've noticed him. You know what scurvy looks like, and one thing is for certain, these sailors aren't showing any of the symptoms.
You go to sleep.


Anyway, I think I may as well make an axe and a basket. The axe would be helpful to both cut down trees for more resources as well as for defending myself, while the basket, as with the last one I made (minus the “falling apart”) should be helpful for actually collecting those resources.
Wit: 7, 5
The Dutch sailors, eight of them in all, have crowded into one end of the shelter at Alira Sibata's welcome. They are a quiet bunch, keeping to themselves. Four of them look weakened, with dark circles under their eyes. The whole group acts traumatized, huddling close to their fire, barely talking, chewing slowly on whatever food your group gave them.
You turn back to your work. After a few hours you have a functional axe and a basket at your feet. Not bad! You turn on your side and quickly fall asleep.

Ass!

Rest time

You rest.


"So this is the temple? I didn't expect it to be that disappointing, I just hope that it contains at least some treasure."
Instruct Jack and William to search and collect treasure for me.
While they're off searching for treasure, I will inspect the two pillars, see whether I can determine what kind of temple it is and whether I can find some hidden switch leading to the real temple.

You ignore your squirming rat and order the shy cabin-boy, Jack, and farmer-turned-seaman William to go find treasure. They stumble off into the gathering darkness.
Luck: 20, 2
But return after a few minutes. William shakes his head, "It's no good ma'am, it's too dark! There's not much of a moon and we have no lantern!"
Well! So much for that, you think, and turn to the pillars. They are black and glinting in the dim moonlight, but otherwise featureless.
Pers: 5, 1
Passing your hand between the two pillars, where the stairs end so abruptly, you become convinced of two things in the quiet intimacy of your own mind: first, that these stairs do, in fact, lead to the temple; and second, that the way is closed to you now but could be opened if one were to fully commit oneself towards this goal. The first step would be to follow the trail of markers through the jungle, touching each in turn: forming the start of an irreversible binding with whatever power lies hidden behind this "door".
You spend the night near the pillars, and find little rest.

Try to explain to Elizabeth and the rest that this temple belonged to my ancestors, and that some text in old german explained that the family crest I was carrying had to be bathed with blood to open the way. Request them to use the edges of the broken family crest, as it might open the way to the temple and the treasure of my royal bloodline.
Pers: 7 (12-5), 5
Ms. Rutherford seems lost in thought, her fingers brushing at the empty air between the two pillars. Sensing an opportunity, you step forward and speak quickly in your broken English, explaining why you need her or the others to shed their blood upon your family crest.
Surprisingly, Ms. Rutherford agrees, suggesting that William should be the one. He doesn't seem terribly taken by the idea, and it takes an even mixture of coaxing and threatening before he offers up his palm to your jagged stone. A slickety slicing later, blood pulses from the deep gash in his hand and onto the broken crest. William swears and pulls his arm away, but you grab his wrist steady until the crest is thoroughly covered.
An unstoppable grin on your face, you hold this up to the pillar. "Vell? Heere iz ze bludd! Vat now?!"
Nothing happens.
Frustrated, you sink to the jungle floor and mull over your next move. Morning comes eventually.


  Highest Rank
You invite Captain Visser and the 9 remaining crew members back to the shelter. They accept, but the Captain and one other spend the night on their ship.
You do not think these men have scurvy. They are all short on sleep, obviously, and some appear weaker than the others. A disease perhaps. You quarantine the Dutch to one end of the shelter.


Blood-letting in the jungle! Damn, if your mum could see you now, how she would worry!


Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
Dustan gives you some jerky. It's good. You imagine that you are stripping it off of an the desiccated corpse of a scaly foe.


Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
It takes some convincing, but you allow the German noble to cut blood from your palm and douse some stupid bit of rock. How did you get into this mess?


Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a deep pit leading to a volcanic tunnel that heads underground toward the shorter hill.
Ms. Rutherford: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.
Alira Sibata: a grove of banana plants, 1d6 meals' worth of bananas once per day. 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter. (it takes an action to go harvest them)
Duke Adalhard: The Eldritch Temple! Permanent +2 Luck to all survivors, and anyone who wishes may now travel to the temple to become an initiate into the secret murder cult, gaining any and all benefits. Additionally, killing a Secret Murder Cultist now grants 3 less Exhaustion to the killer than previously.

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.
Food-store: 3 bundles of bananas, a bundle of roots, 2 piles of mushrooms, some spiky sea-creatures, 10 meals' worth of raw pork


(P.S. The tiger rule is altered. Now, one may go out and forage, but only if one offers specific details about what one is hoping to find and how one gets it and where one looks. Anyone literally "foraging for food" will meet with our stripey friend.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:04:09 pm by Trinculoisdead »
Logged

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2018, 03:44:45 pm »

Is it day-time now? If yes, Lets try to turn those pieces of raw pork in the stockpile into something more preservable. Also, maybe try to set something up to prevent insects and animals from getting to our stored food?

Otherwise, just wait I guess.
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2018, 04:15:35 pm »

"I know how to gain access to the real temple, we just need to follow the trail of markers and touch them. C'mon lads, in the name for treasure!"

Go find the markers and have one of my two guinea pigs touch them. Return back to the temple once all the markers have been touched.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17