Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 20335 times)

Hotfire90

Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 10:18:25 am »

Head back with my rodent, making sure I don't get infested with its insects again. Help out with the shelter by gathering very light building materials.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2018, 07:16:36 pm »

Day 1, evening

Minor rule change: If you sleep the night in a comfortable shelter of some kind, you automatically lose one level of exhaustion.

get the crab to stop pinching my nose by feeding it a small chunk of jerky as I have.. what I guess qualifies as a breakfast. Keep the little guy as a pet and resume harvesting the tussock at my earliest convenience.
Phys: 20, 1
The harmless skittering of the crab is joined by a horrible, hollow clacking: coming around the tussock towards you is an enormous shell-plated, many-limbed, gray thing the size of a dog. It shuffles toward you on crab-like legs and snips two fingers off your left hand! In a panic you scramble to your feet and run back towards the others before it can do you any more mischief, wrapping your little nubs in clean cloth to stop the bleeding. You eat a meal of jerky while recovering.
+1 exhaustion

Try to find a tree with coconuts and chop that down, I'll need a long(ish) term food source.
Phys: 4 (9-5), 5
It is difficult, but you manage to find a palm with a few fresh coconuts on it. You promptly cut it down and bring it, along with the rest of the wood, to the shelter. You also eat one of the coconuts, splitting it open with your axe.

Try again [to catch a bird].
And share one of my meals with Jack Perkins when I get the opportunity to do so.

Luck: 11, 4
You find success at the other nest, grabbing a brown-and-white shore-bird. It will make a fine meal once cooked. You eat some of your eggs as you wander about, and come across the cabin-boy trying to break open a coconut with a sharp rock. You help the boy, showing him the proper way, and by way of thanks he offers you some. So you give him some eggs in return, and enjoy a little impromptu dinner as the sun begins sinking down into the rosy sea.
+1 Karma (lasts 8 rounds)

Okay, let's crack one of the coconuts open!
Drink the coconut milk if my action is success!

You know how to get this hairy fruit open, and do so with your knife. Just the milk does not satisfy your hunger, however, so you eat the flesh as well.

Head back with my rodent, making sure I don't get infested with its insects again. Help out with the shelter by gathering very light building materials.
Phys: 7, 6
You gather together what you would consider appropriate materials that you can still manage to carry, but the third-mate informs you that heavier branches are needed. You enjoy the rest of your candied nuts as you consider this.

Highest Rank
""Die oberste Feder hasst das schillernde Notizbuch vom Himmel! Autos, die bequem genug für einen Mund sind, signalisieren die Entwicklung einer Wanne!"
Freak out and run away from the snake. [TEMPLE] Explore and try to find a nearby cave or ancient ruins in which I could rest, since the shelter is obviously not going to be finished before this night.
Luck: 18, 3
You pick up your well-perfumed coat-tails and run away on your weak, aristocratic ankles; complaining loudly about serpents all the while. While relieving yourself some time later, you catch sight of an enormous, lobster-like crustacean scuttling up the shallow stream and further into the jungle. Its claws seem to have blood on them. Hm... Doubly-encouraged now to find a suitable shelter for the evening, you scout around for something good, but find nothing. Discouraged, you return to the shelter as it begins to grow dark, munching on berries from your mossy skull-basket.

The Duke lets out a panicked croak and runs shouting into the woods. You call to him, "Where are you going? It's not poisonous!" But he is gone.
Snake. Food. Now!
Or if I can otherwise tame the snake for it to be my best buddy, let it happen! (Otherwise just search for food ONE last time this turn)

Phys: 2, 1
You leap after the snake and grab it by the tail! Its spitting head jerks towards your face, but you swing it forcefully into a tree, killing it instantly. A short while later you have it gutted and cooking over a fire. It smells delicious, but a short while after you finish the tasty meat, you become horribly sick and spend the rest of the evening heaving violently in the bushes. Apparently it was poisonous after all...
+1 exhaustion

How fresh is this coconut? Have I even encountered coconuts before?
If no better ideas come to mind, attempt to find a sharp rock or something to cut into it with, before distributing it to anyone around who wants some.

The rock is not the best of tools, but the stranger you saw before on the shore shows up and offers some advice. He seems friendly enough, and is actually much younger than you first thought. The two of you share the coconut, and in turn he offers you some spotted eggs. The food tastes wonderful to your growling stomach, and the two of you enjoy the meal as you watch the sunset.
+1 Karma (lasts 8 rounds)

Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You snack on a lemon, some carrots, and a potato as you rest in the sand-dunes.

Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 2/10 checks

Build a Shelter: 7/10 Materials, 0/8 building checks
2 bundles of grasses, pulpy wood, 4 loads of palm-wood

The sun sets, the light dims, and as the stars start to come out the survivors gather together in the palm-grove that the Third-mate decided upon as the future shelter. Someone lights up a fire, the ship's cook attempts to snuggle with anyone willing, the carpenter mutters unhappily while the German Duke uses his out-door voice to offer undecipherable comments on the group's plight. Off in the darkness, the Third-mate can be heard vomiting periodically. Eventually, you get some sleep.

But not all of you sleep well. Exhaustion from your ordeal is enough to drive some straight off, but it takes others some hours before your tired minds can begin to ignore the creaking in the palms above; the strange buzzings, chirps, and grunts coming from the night around you; and finally drift off. One of you in particular has a vivid nightmare.

Alira Sibata, Pers 13: 11
Jack Perkins, Pers 13: 2
Aigresaur, Pers 14: 5
Elizabeth Rutherford, Pers 11: 11
You dream of home, and remember little of it by morning. The night passes by uneventfully and by morning you are well-rested.

Dustan Hache, Pers 11: 18
Fritz Williams, Pers 6: 13
"Nobody" Jack, Pers 11: 15
Duke Adalhard, Pers 7: 10
Your sleep is troubled by various unpleasant dreams, but by morning you remember none of it.

Ivan Semyonov, Pers 7: 15
You dream about the day, about the ship-wreck this morning and your attempts to survive and find food, but everything is tinged with a sense of uneasiness, a premonition of something unpleasant. Then you dream that you are sleeping in the make-shift camp, sprawled near the glowing embers, and it seems to you that you are not asleep, but awake and lying on your back. Suddenly, with horror you realize that a greenish skull is floating in the tree-tops above you. You find that you cannot move your limbs, and your heart beats rapid-panic as the skull descends towards you. It is malformed and unnatural, with ridges of bone where none should be, and a lop-sided jaw that opens and closes in a crude imitation of life. You awake with a start! Poorly rested and sore. +1 Exhaustion

Turn 2 rolls:
[4] In the morning, a pair of barrels or something are spotted floating a half-mile out in the lagoon, apparently lashed together. [2]The sky to the west is a series of glorious reds and oranges and white-caps can be seen out beyond the reef, indicating rougher weather to come.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:52:57 pm by Trinculoisdead »

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2018, 07:30:19 pm »

Dangit, posted right as my internet cut out.

EDIT: Fritz 'Old Man' Williams

Chop down another tree for the shelter.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:57:30 pm by The_Two_Eternities »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:31 pm »

"Nobody" Jack

Go get the barrels. The rope will be useful, the wood will be useful, and hopefully the contents will be useful.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:06:33 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »

rest some more and recover from yesterday’s horrid events.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2018, 09:50:57 pm »

Hey guys, I hope you're having as much fun as I am. :)

Quick note: I haven't memorized whose user-name goes with which character yet, so it does help me if you post your character's name before your action. Just the name, not the stats or anything.

The game rules are kind of an on-going process. I made two changes just now:

1. I changed "Parts" to "days", and divided rounds into parts of the day.

2. I added a new special action that can be taken during the first round of a new day by the highest-ranking character.
Order of the Day: During the first round of a new day, specify an action and make a Personality check. If successful, at least one of the other characters must spend one of their actions that day attempting said action. If no-one performs this action, everyone else gains a level of Exhaustion.
So, for example, the Duke could make his first action this day an order of some kind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:53:37 pm by Trinculoisdead »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2018, 07:11:36 am »

Reminds me of chubby2man's "Sea Wolves" actually :3 I love these types of games where the GM collaborates with the players and integrates their ideas too. When the GM is having fun alongside, it's great!

Accept snuggles from the ship cook, because it is a good time to be expressive and vulnerable with others.

"Nobody" Jack

Go get the barrels. The rope will be useful, the wood will be useful, and hopefully the contents will be useful.
((I totally forgot the code for that boat...))

Use that depth line and measure out the area while helping this dude (also in opening it if we save time together instead of him doing all that work); perhaps in working out the sea level and different times, I can adjust helping making the boat!
...Or if I can use some of the wood or stuff for the boat from the barrels :B

((I TOTALLY forgot about which part we were in; very glad that we're doing trials so we can see how the system plays out before anything real occurs! Thanks Duke for not killing us all :P

Also I guess I'll not keep track of my sheet as you are doing that with my exhaustion and whatnot. Curses for poison! But at least I have food! I think! :V))

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2018, 09:07:38 am »

Ivan Semyonov

"Ugh, the last night was harsh on me... But enough whining; gotta go and work, starting with those barrels!"

Assist Nobody Jack and Alira with the acquirement of the said barrels.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 10:19:41 am »

Quick note: I haven't memorized whose user-name goes with which character yet, so it does help me if you post your character's name before your action. Just the name, not the stats or anything.

The game rules are kind of an on-going process. I made two changes just now:

2. I added a new special action that can be taken during the first round of a new day by the highest-ranking character.
Order of the Day: During the first round of a new day, specify an action and make a Personality check. If successful, at least one of the other characters must spend one of their actions that day attempting said action. If no-one performs this action, everyone else gains a level of Exhaustion.
So, for example, the Duke could make his first action this day an order of some kind.

((I mean, I would if my Personality stat wasn't the lowest one. Only Fritz has worse Personality and only by 1 point. While I would love to use these special actions, I'm better doing things that depend on Wit or Luck instead.))

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

Grumble about the still unfinished shelter and [TEMPLE] Go back to exploring my island. Where are all the ancient cities filled with artifacts made of gold? This is nothing like the stories I kept hearing when I was young.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2018, 10:38:42 am »

Query: is it possible to increase in rank?

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2018, 12:40:58 pm »

Randomgenericusername:
I sympathize with the lack of Personality. But, on the other hand, the Duke would be "proficient" in giving commands (so that the result of your d6 would subtract from your d20). That gives you roughly a 50% chance of success.

Glass: "Is it possible to increase in rank?"
Good question! If the highest ranked character dies, then the next-highest rank character takes the top position, that's obvious. But I was thinking of trying to implement some kind of mutiny or Take Command action. Let's go with this:

Take Command: Following a round in which you successfully completed an action and rolled a 4 or a 5 on the d6, or if you have at least 3 Karma, you may attempt to take over the position of highest-rank amongst the survivors. Make a Personality check as normal, but add +1 to your roll for each character on the island of higher rank than yourself (if you are higher rank than the current leader, deduct 1 from your roll). If you give a compelling speech explaining why you should be the new leader, you will make the Personality roll as though proficient. This action can only be taken once per day, by anyone (i.e. only one change of leadership per day).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:48:27 pm by Trinculoisdead »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2018, 12:52:31 pm »

Ok, more questions in the leadership query series: can the players decide to strip the current leader of their authority? Can the current leader choose to give leadership to someone else? Is it possible to end up in a situation where we don't have someone considered to be leader, and if so, what effects would it have, would we need to choose a new leader, and what would be the mechanics of doing so? If a person trying to claim leadership is supported by some of he other players, how does that effect the rolls and mechanics? Could we end up with multiple "tribes" each with their own leader? Could the players choose to change the mechanics behind deciding on a leader as a whole?

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2018, 01:14:25 pm »

Glass: Ok, more questions in the leadership query series: can the players decide to strip the current leader of their authority?
Only if someone takes over the leadership, or kills the current one.

Can the current leader choose to give leadership to someone else?
I think they can pass it on to the next-highest in rank by declaring themselves unfit, sure.

Is it possible to end up in a situation where we don't have someone considered to be leader?, and if so, what effects would it have, would we need to choose a new leader, and what would be the mechanics of doing so?
Nah, I think you're all British or German, someone needs to be at the top of the class pile!

If a person trying to claim leadership is supported by some of the other players, how does that effect the rolls and mechanics?
The idea with the rule I added is that a character that is successful, or has shared food with the others, will be more esteemed by everyone else. I like the idea that it's almost more up to the characters than it is up to the players. It makes "leadership" into more of an abstract social construct that exists independently of what the players would necessarily like. This might change in future, I don't know.

Could we end up with multiple "tribes" each with their own leader? Could the players choose to change the mechanics behind deciding on a leader as a whole?
Maybe. It's really not the focus of the game the way it is now, but we'll see. :)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2018, 01:51:43 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to answer everything, and sorry about drowning you in questions :p

Hotfire90

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2018, 02:01:07 pm »

Elizabeth Rutherford

Instruct my rodent to fetch the required heavy branches, keep the already collected materials as kindling.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17