Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 20465 times)

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2018, 02:35:30 pm »

Day 2, morning

Rest some more and recover from yesterday’s horrid events.
Luck: 7, 4
While the others set about to various tasks, you sit with your back to a palm, watching the red dawn and replacing a wet rag now and then on your bandaged finger-stumps to help with the throbbing pain. The pain lessens over time and you fall back asleep.

Chop down another tree for the shelter.
Phys: 1, 1
You drop another palm, right near the shelter this time. It spins awkwardly as it falls, getting stuck in the sturdy v-shape of another tree's branches. Back home you called this kind of half-fallen tree a "widow-maker". You know what to do, however, and set about to rectify the situation. Unfortunately, it is a great deal more effort than it would have been, and it tires you out considerably. By midday you have enough material for the shelter.
+1 Exhaustion

Go get the barrels. The rope will be useful, the wood will be useful, and hopefully the contents will be useful.
Phys: 16, 1
The others seem to have accepted your presence amongst them without much in the way of questioning. Ivan and officer Sibata join you on the beach, scouting out the barrels. It looks like a half-mile or so to swim. The three of you strip down to under-clothes and swim out into the lagoon. Your thin frame is weaker than you thought, however, and you find yourself wearily treading water a few hundred yards off-shore. You espy a line of coral beds nearby, and gratefully step onto a ledge only a few feet deep, waving the others onward. As you do, several sharp pains pierce deep into your right foot, and you shriek as the water turns reddish beneath you. Five dark spines are broken off in your foot!
Eventually, the others return with the barrels and help you to shore.
+1 Exhaustion

"Ugh, the last night was harsh on me... But enough whining; gotta go and work, starting with those barrels!"
Assist Nobody Jack and Alira with the acquirement of the said barrels.
Jack is not able to swim the whole distance, so you leave him resting on an out-cropping of coral.
Phys: 1 (3-5), 5
You, however, are a burly seaman, and could cross this lagoon while napping. You reach the two roped barrels before Alira, and begin towing them back to shore. The smaller one you are certain contains gunpowder, while the larger you are not sure about. Together, the two of you bring them back to shore, and help the now-wounded Jack as well. Alira opens the other barrel.

Instruct my rodent to fetch the required heavy branches, keep the already collected materials as kindling.
Rodent's Phys: 14, 9
You seem to have found a creature with less strength of limb than yourself! The rodent is rubbish at gathering branches. If only this place had beavers...

Highest Rank
""*grumblegrumble*"
Grumble about the still unfinished shelter and [TEMPLE] Go back to exploring my island. Where are all the ancient cities filled with artifacts made of gold? This is nothing like the stories I kept hearing when I was young.
Luck: 16, 3
The stories from when you were young must have been written by mush-brained crab-toed spoon-fed pudding-headed pig-fart swachsinnige from the low countries, you decide, as you are smacked in the face by a whippy branch for the umpteenth time.

Use that depth line and measure out the area while helping this dude (also in opening it if we save time together instead of him doing all that work); perhaps in working out the sea level and different times, I can adjust helping making the boat!
Phys: 8 (9-1), 1
It is easy enough for you to judge the depth of the water here in the clear lagoon. The first quarter-mile is about a dozen feet deep, and the second closer to 20. The swim takes it out of you, however, and by the time you return to the beach you are exhausted.
+1 Exhaustion
The first barrel contains gunpowder, which Semyonov takes. The second barrel contains...
d6: 2
the belongings of some wealthy dandy. Not exactly the most helpful of items.
-shaving kit with mirror, 5 sets of evening-wear clothes (men's), a glass container of pomade, a long pipe and a dozen smokes' worth of tobacco, riding boots, three top hats, and wood-shavings for packing.

You watch as Officer Sibata leads an expedition to recover the flotsam from out in the bay. It is quite exciting! With blood, and gunpowder!

Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
The Third-mate snuggled with you around the campfire last night. That was nice anyway.

Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 2/10 checks

Build a Shelter: 10/10 Materials, 0/8 building checks
2 bundles of grasses, pulpy wood, 7 loads of palm-wood

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2018, 03:38:56 pm »

Grumble angrily and start building a shelter with the various materials.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2018, 03:59:38 pm »

"Nobody" Jack

Tear a strip of material off of one of sets of fancy pants - or just take a sock, if there is one - and wrap it around my foot as a bandage (after removing the coral spines, of course).
Then go help with shelter construction.

(Note: as a homeless poor guy, Jack should have proficiency with repurposing things into things with more practical use.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:02:39 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Hotfire90

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2018, 04:24:10 pm »

Elizabeth Rutherford

"What are you rabble doing? This isn't how build a sturdy shelter, you need to place it at this angle or it'll all collapse."

Motivate the people building the shelter to work harder, by telling them how to properly do their job.

As an upstanding member of upper-class society, I should have proficiency in telling the lower classes how to do their job and otherwise commanding them.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2018, 08:09:06 pm »

((Oh, I didn't knew about that's how the proficiency thing worked. Can I still do an Order of the Day?))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2018, 08:52:52 pm »

Sure, why not, just this once.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2018, 06:58:38 am »

Ivan Semyonov

Smoke the tobacco pipe for some minor relaxation (try to lower exhaustion, in game terms).
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2018, 11:28:07 am »

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

The senile nobleman climbs to the largest rock he can find, and shouts to the rest of the survivors.

"Sagen wir, wir sollten den Sprengstoff verschrotten und dann die Aufzeichnungsmerkmale plagiieren! Nachdem der Portier einen Unfall hatte, wurde er ausgestrahlt, während die Jury eine Variation vornahm! Das Erdbeben erschrickt uns, als wir in der Dämmerung spazieren gehen!"

Order of the Day: Explore the island for treasure and interesting landmarks! Priceless jewels, ancient ruins, valuable artifacts, hidden temples, mysterious relics, etc. Where's their sense of adventure?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:53:18 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2018, 04:50:30 pm »

heh, I just realized how weak, action-economy-wise, the Order of the Day is. It's giving up an action so someone else will maybe do an action for you.

Just a little tweak here:

Leader action:
Order of the Day:
During the first round of a new day, specify an action and make a Personality check. If successful, anyone who succeeds at this action gains +1 Karma. If no-one succeeds at this action by night-fall, everyone but the leader gains a level of exhaustion. Only the current leader of the survivors can take this action.

Also, let's simplify how Karma works, for my sanity.
You lose all of your Karma when you roll a 1 on the d6 "fate" die and fail a check by 5 or more. Otherwise, it never "runs out".
And to make Karma more useful:
You may spend three points of karma to automatically roll d20: 1, and d6: 5 on an action (this is the best possible roll).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:25:18 am by Trinculoisdead »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2018, 05:25:12 pm »

You watch as Officer Sibata leads an expedition to recover the flotsam from out in the bay. It is quite exciting! With blood, and gunpowder!
((Apologies for missing a turn, but I quite like this auto "action".))

Watching the others going to work on a shelter but not feeling confident or competent enough to join in myself, instead go gather up some more of those coconut things and bring them back for folks to eat when they're done working.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2018, 07:18:31 pm »

having been badgered out of my rest by the duke, go explore the island for some sort of landmark. Don’t forget to use my spyglass.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2018, 01:23:30 am »

Day 2, midday

having been badgered out of my rest by the duke, go explore the island for some sort of landmark. Don’t forget to use my spyglass.
Phys: 12 (16-4), 4
It is a warm day. You wipe the sweat from your brow and raise your spyglass. You are on the southern shore of this island, if island it be. About three miles to the north is a high, bald hill. The jungle is thick most of the way up the gentle slopes that form the base of this peak, but the top quarter of the hill is steep and rocky.  A shorter peak, this one forested over by trees, lies north-north-west, perhaps four miles away. Your explorer's instincts take over, and you follow the stream towards it source, passing deeper into the jungle. You climb past several small water-falls, and begin to see signs of former human habitation: some worn carvings in an exposed rock face, a tumbled-down structure made of clay-bricks and wood, a garbage-dumb of old sea-shells. There are even remnants of old paths here and there, but most are impossible to follow for long.

Grumble angrily and start building a shelter with the various materials.
Phys: 5 (8-3), 3
You meet with satisfying success, despite the would-be architects who keep getting in your way. The shelter begins to take shape.

Tear a strip of material off of one of the sets of fancy pants - or just take a sock, if there is one - and wrap it around my foot as a bandage (after removing the coral spines, of course).
Then go help with shelter construction.

Phys: 14, 6
You remove the spines from your foot, bandage it, and go help with the shelter. (The Third-mate is willing to donate a shirt-sleeve to your cause.) Your idea of a suitable shelter is far humbler than the ship's carpenter's, however, and you cannot help but feel that your suggestions and attempts to help are slowing down the whole process. Then you discover two broken-off bits in your foot that you didn't catch at first, and spend some time digging the painful buggers out as Miss Rutherford takes over the job of getting in Fritz's way.

Smoke the tobacco pipe for some minor relaxation (try to lower exhaustion, in game terms).
Luck: 7, 1
The Third-mate hands over the pipe and tobacco, and you spend a lazy hour blowing smoke-rings in the direction of the shelter-construction. Alira does demand that you hand over the barrel of gunpowder, however.
-1 Exhaustion

"What are you rabble doing? This isn't how build a sturdy shelter, you need to place it at this angle or it'll all collapse."
Motivate the people building the shelter to work harder, by telling them how to properly do their job.
Pers: 12 (14-2), 2
Old Man Williams indeed! The stubborn brute of a man ignores all of your advice and "accidentally" knocks you over with the end of a long branch. He should take more care! Not the other way 'round!

Highest Rank
""*grumblegrumble*"
The senile nobleman climbs to the largest rock he can find, and shouts to the rest of the survivors.

"Sagen wir, wir sollten den Sprengstoff verschrotten und dann die Aufzeichnungsmerkmale plagiieren! Nachdem der Portier einen Unfall hatte, wurde er ausgestrahlt, während die Jury eine Variation vornahm! Das Erdbeben erschrickt uns, als wir in der Dämmerung spazieren gehen!"

Order of the Day: Explore the island for treasure and interesting landmarks! Priceless jewels, ancient ruins, valuable artifacts, hidden temples, mysterious relics, etc. Where's their sense of adventure?
Pers: 13(14-1), 1
The only person who even understands you is Dustan, the explorer. He at least heads off into the jungle. The rest carry on as they were. Your order is unsuccessful.

You watch with appreciation as Old Man Williams begins the construction of the shelter.

Watching the others going to work on a shelter but not feeling confident or competent enough to join in myself, instead go gather up some more of those coconut things and bring them back for folks to eat when they're done working.

Luck: 9, 6
You find a palm with good-looking coconuts hanging from it, and put your palm-climbing skills to the test. You gather three coconuts. Over-eager, perhaps, you reach out for a fourth and lose your grip. You fall 20 feet and land on your back in the sand, the wind knocked out of you. You wheeze desperately for air for a full minute before you can breathe easily again.
+1 exhaustion

Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You wander along the beach, thinking about nothing much in particular.

Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 3/10 checks

Build a Shelter: 10/10 Materials, 1/8 building checks
2 bundles of grasses, pulpy wood, 7 loads of palm-wood
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:25:56 am by Trinculoisdead »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2018, 03:50:22 am »

Ivan Semyonov

Acquire more coconuts by pulling them down, then scout for banana trees. Diverse food is good food, after all.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2018, 07:58:45 am »

"Nobody" Jack

Just go search for food. If I come across a good cave or something to weather out the storm in, that's great, but clearly I'm mostly good at scavenging for food.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2018, 10:54:30 am »

Keep grumbling and building the shelter.

(Fritz Williams)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17