Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 20041 times)

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 08:35:22 pm »

The Game Begins

Day 1, Morning

You drag your shaking frame up from the tide-line. Ahead is a sand embankment, beyond which tall pale grasses whisper gently in the morning breeze. Beyond the grasses, you can just make out a line of unfamiliar-looking trees; and beyond that a distant rocky peak that juts up against the morning sky. You are not alone, thanks be to God, scattered along the sandy shore are...

A scarred adventurer,

a round-faced, worried-looking boy

a grey-haired man clutching hammer and axe,

a grumpy Russian,

a lean woman with perceptive eyes,

a shouting member of the German royalty,
Highest Rank

a skinny, bearded man you don't remember ever seeing before
Spoiler: "Nobody (Stowaway)" (click to show/hide)

a well-dressed lady with arms like thin sticks

Still out at sea:
Spoiler: "Aigresaur" (click to show/hide)

What do you do?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:02:03 pm by Trinculoisdead »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 09:13:10 pm »

”It would seem we are alive. Let us make use of that, and start work to stay that way. Carpenter Fritz, may I borrow your axe?”
If fritz loans me his axe: Go chop down some trees to use for firewood and construction. The sooner we have basic nessesities, the better.
Otherwise, go gather grass to use for the same purposes.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 09:44:00 pm »

Angrily shout something about kids these days and go chop down a tree myself.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 12:47:11 am »

Priority 1: food.
Go scavenging for food, of any sort. (Requesing proficiency, as as a homeless man, "Nobody" Jack has had to scrounge up food from myriad places, and has learned to find even the few edible scraps in a refuse pile.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 01:33:11 am »

Ivan Semyonov

Try to make a lasso out of a rope in order to pull down some coconuts from palms.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Hotfire90

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 01:50:47 am »

Explore the surrounding area, see if I can find some food.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 02:22:04 am »

Swim for the shore. Keep them food dry if possible!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 08:15:37 am »

"Regnerisch greifbare sechs riesige Teamvorräte auf leeren Mägen! Bewunderer schwamm mitten durch den Irrtum und blieb in der zerstörten Wunderkiste. Großartig, die fanged links unansehnlichen Schrecken!"

Since I have the highest ranking here, I claim this land as my own. From now on, this island will be called "Müllhaufen" and I declare myself King of Müllhaufen. Express this to the rest of the passengers with broken english and loud german.

[TEMPLE] Search for a nice place in this island in which to build my future castle.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 08:29:37 am »

"Regnerisch greifbare sechs riesige Teamvorräte auf leeren Mägen! Bewunderer schwamm mitten durch den Irrtum und blieb in der zerstörten Wunderkiste. Großartig, die fanged links unansehnlichen Schrecken!"
Google translate says:
"Rainy tangible six huge team supplies on empty stomachs! Admirers swam right through the fallacy and stayed in the ruined wonderbox. Great, those fanged left unsightly horrors!"
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 08:49:21 am »

Google translate says:
"Rainy tangible six huge team supplies on empty stomachs! Admirers swam right through the fallacy and stayed in the ruined wonderbox. Great, those fanged left unsightly horrors!"
((Yes, it's just random words and gibberish.))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 07:46:31 pm »

"No other officer in sight. Guess I'm the highest ranking official around. You're all free to pursue your duties--can't be helped when everyone just came around after shock. The rest, we've go focus on setting sail out of here, and especially on supplies. If there are any other people, they're stranded all around, and the best way is to get a small ship going. Glad I packed an extra sail here."
"Case in point, shock is very harmful. Those who can rest, please rest. I'll be preparing and investigating our surroundings. Anyone who wishes to join up, please do.

"I suggest everyone announce their intentions and to work in teams of two, however. I do not want anyone else getting lost."

Find a good spot for building the foundations of making that ship. I've a good depth line and all.

If I can do more actions, inspect certain areas around for sites of food and wood; surveying. Hopefully good at that too since I apprenticed under navigators and the like.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 09:54:01 pm »

Try and scrape together enough twigs, grass and kindling to get a fire going at some point in the not-too-distant future.
Also keep an eye out for easy food sources!

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 10:15:26 pm »

Day 1, morning

”It would seem we are alive. Let us make use of that, and start work to stay that way. Carpenter Fritz, may I borrow your axe?”
If fritz loans me his axe: Go chop down some trees to use for firewood and construction. The sooner we have basic nessesities, the better.
Otherwise, go gather grass to use for the same purposes.

The carpenter hefts his axe and climbs toward the line of trees. "Kids these days! humph!"
Roll (Phys) (d20 is first, d6 second): 11, 6
A feverish urgency drives you forward despite the aching of your storm-wracked limbs. You gather a great shock of bundled grasses. +1 Exhaustion

Angrily shout something about kids these days and go chop down a tree myself.

Phys: 9 (11-2), 2
You cross low dunes of pale grass and come to the edge of the trees. Hefting your axe, you size up a thick palm-like tree the height of three men and cut it down in a dozen strokes. The wood is strangely pulpy and fibrous and unsuitable compared to what you are used to.

Go scavenging for food, of any sort.
Luck: 8 (12-4), 4
You are not surprised when no-one seems to notice your presence, it was the same on the city streets, too busy calling out orders and shouting nonsense... Wandering on stiff legs up the beach, your roving eye catches sight of several speckled eggs in the midst of a grassy tussock!

Try to make a lasso out of a rope in order to pull down some coconuts from palms.
Phys: 8 (9-1), 1
You could tie a dozen variations of the "bow-string knot" in your sleep, and you tie one easily enough as you follow the ship's carpenter, Fritz, over to the trees. Unfortunately, while musing over which variation of knot is best for pulling down coconuts, Fritz's falling tree crashes against a palm,  detaching a single unripe coconut. It falls squarely onto your forehead with a fleshy thud. +1 exhaustion

Explore the surrounding area, see if I can find some food.
Luck: 10, 3
You find yourself on a long narrow beach. To the east, it curves slightly northward until jutting a sandy spit out to a lonely hill of weathered rock. Far to the west, it curves northward out of sight. To the south are gentle waves, behind them a lagoon of greenish shallow water, behind that, heavy waves breaking over partially submerged reefs. As you explore the grassy dunes before you, you begin to see that a dense forest ahead of you rises up misty slopes to a high, bare peak of rock directly to the north. A shorter peak, this one forested over by trees, lies to the north-west. The flora around you are unfamiliar, but you do catch sight of some kind of plump, sandy-coloured rodent watching you quizzically from atop a piece of driftwood.

Highest Rank

Since I have the highest ranking here, I claim this land as my own. From now on, this island will be called "Müllhaufen" and I declare myself King of Müllhaufen. Express this to the rest of the passengers with broken english and loud german.

[TEMPLE] Search for a nice place in this island in which to build my future castle.

Luck: 14, 6
The others listen to your speech with ingrained deference to your rank, but the broken English seems to be confused for German, and the only meaning you get across is that this land is, in your opinion, "Müllhaufen". Good for raising mules perhaps, they wonder?

You scout along the trees for a good location, massaging your strained throat, and come across a stream flowing amongst the roots of the trees. A misshapen, mossy skull rests in the water. It seems quite appropriate that you pick it up and take it with you. So you do.

"No other officer in sight. Guess I'm the highest ranking official around. You're all free to pursue your duties--can't be helped when everyone just came around after shock. The rest, we've go focus on setting sail out of here, and especially on supplies. If there are any other people, they're stranded all around, and the best way is to get a small ship going. Glad I packed an extra sail here."

"Case in point, shock is very harmful. Those who can rest, please rest. I'll be preparing and investigating our surroundings. Anyone who wishes to join up, please do.

"I suggest everyone announce their intentions and to work in teams of two, however. I do not want anyone else getting lost."

Find a good spot for building the foundations of making that ship. I've a good depth line and all.

Those near you on the beach seem to be thinking much the same thing as you, and set about various tasks, or just wander amongst the grasses. It occurs to you that the Duke out-ranks you.

Wit: 11 (16-5), 5
You understand the basics of how one would construct a raft-like vessel within easy portage to the water, and find a very well-suited area of the woods that reaches closest to the shore-line.

Try and scrape together enough twigs, grass and kindling to get a fire going at some point in the not-too-distant future.
Also keep an eye out for easy food sources!   

Phys: 15, 3
Out of habit, you follow the Third Mate around as she scouts for a good boat-building site. You do not see any sources of food, but manage to pile handfuls of grass and some twigs onto a dead palm frond as you walk along.

Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.
(The goal sounded different than a raft to simply escape the island, so I altered the requirements.)

Find the Hidden Temple: 2/10 checks

Still out at sea until they change their character from a dinosaur.
Spoiler: "Aigresaur" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:55:11 pm by Trinculoisdead »

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 12:27:08 am »

Grumble angrily and go search for some berries.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 03:19:31 am »

Ivan Semyonov

"АЙ! ГОЛОВА ТЕПЕРЬ БУДЕТ БОЛЕТЬ, СУКА!"*

Yelp the cry of pain and tell the carpenter to chop trees somewhere away from me.
Keep trying to pull coconuts.

*That means, "Ouch! My head will be aching (from) now (on), fuck!"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:57:15 am by CABL »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17