Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 20464 times)

Hotfire90

Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2018, 11:54:30 am »

Elizabeth Rutherford

Continue motivating the builders.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2018, 12:00:17 pm »

Regarding the poll: I like the mechanic, it makes sense. I'm undecided on if they should be able to automatically pass for doing it, though, but here's an idea: they have the option of doing a check or automatically passing it, but if they choose the latter, they also bear the consequences of if it fails to happen.

Does that make sense?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2018, 05:05:50 pm »

It does, yes. I'm not sure if I prefer that.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2018, 08:14:59 pm »

*shrug* It's just an idea.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2018, 11:11:29 pm »

Duke Adalhard I of Regensburg

Grumble even more and [TEMPLE] go explore the island alone, trying to find anything interesting. The skull clearly indicates that the island is hiding a valuable secret! I will uncover it and return home with a fortune!
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2018, 11:52:57 pm »

*shrug* It's just an idea.
I appreciate it. :)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2018, 12:08:45 pm »

Joining

Name: William Blake
Job: Able Seaman, former farmer
Physique: 12
Wit: 10
Personality: 8
Luck: 10

Former farmer from the outskirts of Kent, joined a ships crew out of a sense of wanderlust and need for adventure. Got perhaps a bit more than he bargained with.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2018, 10:00:21 pm »

go back to resting off my pain and exhaustion.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2018, 04:36:23 am »

Exhaustion isn't removed by resting as an action. It is removed entirely by eating three meals in a day, and one level is removed by spending the night in a safe and comfortable shelter. I did allow for Ivan to get rid of a level by spending the mid-day smoking tobacco in a pipe--I was trying to accommodate player creativity--but simply resting at this time won't actually remove any levels of exhaustion. Just FYI!

Exhaustion is meant to drive a player towards getting things done, not to force them to stop doing things. (That's why I added resting in a shelter as something that gets rid of Exhaustion, otherwise spamming food-gathering is the only way to handle it, and that can get repetitive for everyone after a while.) Anyway, it's a work in progress, thanks for your patience and understanding.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:40:01 am by Trinculoisdead »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2018, 05:43:29 am »

To be quite fair, exhaustion seems to go up rather fast, and given the multiple reasons it can be raised such as by rolling a six, failing a order of the day, or extremely bad d20 rolls.

It becomes absurdly dangerous to do ANYTHING without the looming threat of critical existence failure (since exhaustion kills/drives people insane at 6 points) and in under a day I was halfway to becoming dead.

It does do the job of applying pressure to do things before a storm hits, yes. But if a single day is enough for someone’s innards to be halfway turned to outtards, it might be a bit TOO much pressure.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2018, 01:46:26 pm »

Yes, things can go badly in a hurry. Them's the rules, for good or ill. Still, no fatalities yet, which is more than one can say for a lot of the RtDs on here!

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2018, 02:20:28 pm »

Day 2, afternoon
Storm-clouds are brewing to the east, and rapidly eating up that portion of the sky. It is still warm and pleasant here, for now.

go back to resting off my pain and exhaustion.
You return from your exploratory trek and nap for most of the afternoon in the shade of a palm.

Keep grumbling and building the shelter.
Phys: 4 (10-6), 6
The shelter proceeds rapidly! However, you get carried away and discover that you will be short of materials.

Just go search for food. If I come across a good cave or something to weather out the storm in, that's great, but clearly I'm mostly good at scavenging for food.
Luck: 1, 1
This time you venture inland, following the stream up-hill. The day becomes overcast, and you consider turning back when suddenly you find both a cave, when you tumble forward into a deep pit in the ground; and food, when you land in the midst of a variety of interesting-looking mushrooms. As your eyes adjust you can dimly see that several passages branch out into the stone around the base of this pit, but the climb back up and out looks very challenging indeed.

Acquire more coconuts by pulling them down, then scout for banana trees. Diverse food is good food, after all.
Luck: 4, 2
You manage to find a couple more coconuts, but the supply along the shore here seems to be running low. You do not see any banana trees.

Continue motivating the builders.
Pers: 13 (17-4), 4
The irritable carpenter is having none of it, and goes so far as to curse wildly after you admonish him for the fourth time that a separate, and larger, section of the shelter will be required for the nobler classes amongst you.

Highest Rank

Grumble even more and [TEMPLE] go explore the island alone, trying to find anything interesting. The skull clearly indicates that the island is hiding a valuable secret! I will uncover it and return home with a fortune!
Luck: 17, 6
Dustan returns but has nothing to say to you, so you venture off yourself. At one point you swear you saw Jack, the one nobody sees to know, walking along a cliff-top before suddenly throwing his hands up in the air and disappearing from view. But when you circumnavigate a large patch of razor-sharp, head-high grass, you find that you have lost sight of said cliff. The experience is overall quite frustrating and you tire yourself out considerably.
+1 Exhaustion

Storm clouds are blowing up out of the east, this is rather troubling as the shelter is unfinished.

You follow the Third-mate around as she marches worriedly up and down the beach.

Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You continue to wander. Life is strange.

Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
You do not know by what providence you have been saved, but your heart swells with joy at the sight of several other survivors along the shore. From the trees that lie beyond grassy dunes, you can hear the sounds of construction: the knocking of a hammer, and various distant oaths.

Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 3/10 checks

Build a Shelter: 10/11 Materials, 4/8 building checks
2 bundles of grasses, pulpy wood, 7 loads of palm-wood

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:23:54 pm by Trinculoisdead »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2018, 02:31:27 pm »

Um. Well then.

Yell to get the others to know my location, let them know I'm stuck, and that if we could get that rope over here to get in and out of this thing that would be useful. And also that there's a bunch of mushrooms and a nice sheltered cave here.

Then try to start a fire or something. And see if I can determine what the deal is with the questionable mushrooms.

All this said: can I use my good-luck charm to have the d6 rerolled? It seems to me like that could be useful.
I'm ok with that being a once-per-day thing, or even just one-time, or costing a karma point. It just seems like an ability that makes sense for the item.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2018, 02:45:47 pm »

Go chop down another tree.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2018, 02:53:36 pm »

Sure Glass, that sounds interesting. When you make a Luck check, I'll roll the d6 twice and keep the better result. (Best, to worst: 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 1)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17