Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 9380 times)

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2018, 05:06:25 pm »

"A ship you say? Finally our rescuers have arrived, it sure took them long enough."

Head south and attract the attention of the ship by frantically waving my arms around and shouting in the direction of it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:46:38 pm by Hotfire90 »
Logged

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2018, 02:38:10 am »

Hotfire90, how does Elisabeth attract the attention of the ship?

CABL, eating food is done automatically at the end of the evening turn. So eating a coconut as an action is just for flavour (see what I did there? heheh). Just so you know.

Dustan, the rolls have been all over, true! Last turn I kept getting 18s and 17s for the first few actions. The pig-hunt did break the pattern I established of one turn equaling no more than 1 level of Exhaustion, and so that was unfair of me. After Jack and Ivan and the white lobstrousity I think I had dangerous encounters on the mind. So that's where I'm coming from. I won't do multiple-levels of exhaustion again unless the actions being chosen are dangerous and that's been made clear. (Like how Jack slept for the night in the cave and was attacked by the lobstrousity, before he and Ivan went back down there exploring on a following day.)
That said, considering that you've have those 3 meals' worth of jerky since game-start, you do know about this rule right?

"All of your exhaustion goes away if you choose to consume three meal's-worth of food as part of your action. This will replace the 1 meal of food that is automatically deducted from your inventory at the end of the Evening turn."
(I changed it so that the meal-eating can be done during any action, not just at the end of the evening, and added the second sentence. But otherwise it's been there the whole time.)
And, hey, if your character does die, you can always roll up a new one.


And finally, everyone, I forgot to actually go in and reduce everyone's Exhaustion by 1 after the night spent in the shelter. Oops! Fixed now.

CABL

  • Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2018, 03:38:57 am »

I've edited my action.
Logged
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

A Viking's Tale - Come and plunder!

I'm not as active as I've used to be on the forums, but I'll still visit it.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2018, 06:31:13 am »

So close to the Temple!

By the way Tiruin, don't forget to set an Order of the Day in addition to your other action, if you wish.
Order: Get abundant food enough to feed everyone tonight! All found food should be dumped in the shelter. No stealing please!

Action: Check out that sail and ship! Hopefully they ain't pirates! And if I can't? Signaling time!

As an officer, I do know how to focus the light with my mirror and aim it at the ship. Someone holding up our sail can also help signaling with my instructions.

Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2018, 11:56:04 pm »

Day 4, morning

Order of the Day: Get abundant food enough to feed everyone tonight! All found food should be dumped in the shelter. No stealing please! (In other words, all food found with this order in mind does not go to your personal inventory, but to a stock-pile in the shelter.)
+1 Karma for every successful action towards this goal. If no-one succeeds at the goal by the end of the day, everyone but the Duke gains a level of exhaustion.

You spend the morning lying around the shelter, contemplating your bad luck and complaining to Aigresaur about your wounds as the strange cook stomps through some bushes.


Go harvest the bananas.
[d6]:3
You gather the day's crop of ripe bananas from the banana bushes. You bring back 3 bundles.


Let's check out my left hand. That was a weird thing last night.
Wit: 7, 1
Your hand feels fine as you flex it before you. But the memory of that strange pain bothers you. How could an old bit of rock cause such a thing? Are the stone markers cursed?

Also, let's go looking for more if those vines. If I can make a basket, do so.
Wit: 6, 1
You manage to mock together a single basket. It is serviceable, but crude, and will fall apart sooner or later.

Additionally, go forage some more. Maybe for some more mushrooms, or eggs.
Luck: 12, 3 2
The caves have been cleared of mushrooms, as far as you can tell, so you go look for more bird's eggs. You disturb a shore-bird from its nest in the dunes, and pluck up a handful of eggs.


Pull some coconuts from the trees. Alternatively, help with the banana harvest.
Phys: 13, 2
You gather a single coconut after hours of searching.


"A ship you say? Finally our rescuers have arrived, it sure took them long enough."

Head south and attract the attention of the ship by frantically waving my arms around and shouting in the direction of it.
Physique: 5, 1
You shout yourself hoarse, which doesn't take very long, and run up and down the beach waving until you are thoroughly exhausted (which doesn't take very long). You do not think you have been spotted by the ship on the horizon.
+1 Exhaustion


I'm tired of staying in my castle and doing nothing. [TEMPLE] Go explore again!
Wit: 7, 2
Putting what information you have gained from the others together, you decide to explore straight-away towards the smaller of the two hills. It takes you 4 hours to hike to the base of it  through the thick jungle, periodically coming across carved stones that, totem-like, seem to be guiding you onward along a slightly-less dense swath of the forest. At the base of the hill, you come across a set of stone steps. They lead up-hill a dozen feet until disappearing abruptly between two volcanic-stone pillars. The black pillars begin to shimmer, and blood-red lettering and shapes begin to bubble up from inside the stone. Wicked delight fills your heart as you recognize your family crest, surrounded by four not-quite-human faces: one grinning, one weeping, one screaming, and one staring coldly down at you. Your skin begins glowing with a pale green luminescence, and you feel that an important choice is before you: one that will grant you a dark gift. Which one of the faces do you choose?


  Highest Rank
Action: Check out that sail and ship! Hopefully they ain't pirates! And if I can't? Signaling time!
As an officer, I do know how to focus the light with my mirror and aim it at the ship. Someone holding up our sail can also help signaling with my instructions.

Wit: 8 (13-5), 5
The ship is too far distant to see its colours. It is three-masted, certainly, and probably in the same class of sailing vessel as the Golden Dawn. It is currently to the south of you, but sailing east and, from the manner in which it grows larger as time goes on without making much progress to the east, on a North-north-easterly course. In fact, it seems that it will pass very close-by the island itself by the afternoon. You use your mirror to signal the ship, and receive a response after attempting the maneuver a dozen times. What message do you send?


A sail! A ship! Rescue? You ask the third-mate question after question until she tells you to pipe down or receive payment for your pestering ways.


Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
You pretend that you are an ancient, scaly creature by stomping through the bushes.


Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
You consider the soil 'round these parts. Not very good, by any standard.


Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 10/10 checks
Completed!

Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a deep pit leading to a volcanic tunnel that heads underground toward the shorter hill.
Ms. Rutherford: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.
Alira Sibata: a grove of banana plants, 1d6 meals' worth of bananas once per day. 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter. (it takes an action to go harvest them)
Duke Adalhard: The Eldritch Temple! Permanent +2 Luck to all survivors, and anyone who wishes may now travel to the temple to become an initiate into the secret murder cult, gaining any and all benefits. Additionally, killing a Secret Murder Cultist now grants 3 less Exhaustion to the killer than previously.

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.


Note: This will be my last update for a week, as I will be traveling and offline. Take your time considering your next move!

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2018, 12:34:55 am »

1. Wouldn't it be Alira that doesn't get the exhaustion?

2. OotD: Go forage for food to donate to the stockpile, using my basket to help carry it.

3. Check to figure out if anyone else here might know anything about my hand.

4. OotD: Donate 2 of the meals I have to the stockpile.

5. Go forage for some food for myself using my basket.

Reminder that I get skill bonus to looking for food, iirc.
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2018, 06:19:02 am »

Yes, the family crest! That means the island belongs to me, heir of the royal family!

A face? Do you really have to ask? The screaming face, of course! Accept the gift of my noble ancestors!
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

CABL

  • Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2018, 08:34:41 am »

Ivan Semyonov

Let's go and check out if the lobster abomination's corpse has gone spoiled and rotten. If not, think about the way we can bring the corpse to the base to cook and eat it.
Logged
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

A Viking's Tale - Come and plunder!

I'm not as active as I've used to be on the forums, but I'll still visit it.

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2018, 04:30:23 pm »

Instruct my rodent to fish while I'm resting.
Logged

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2018, 09:51:33 pm »


Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
Anyway I can command these folks? Because I'd like them to search for building materials for the boat or food for the shelter. :3

Signal a common distress message known to officers on deck, concisely detailing our situation. Alongside a "What do we need to meet you along your journey?", or they could drop us a small boat (or portion of their crew) to check us out


Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

Dustan Hache

  • Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2018, 11:18:16 pm »

Chow down on the last of my jerky, then go out hunting. I got a score to settle with SEVERAL denizens of this island now.
Logged
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

The_Two_Eternities

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2018, 01:55:29 pm »

Go [OotD] put the bananas in the shelter and [BOAT] chop down a tree.
Logged
Code: [Select]
Dare I ask how you (inadvertently at that) created the psychic equivalent of a false vacuum event?
"I don't Know mysterious voice but I will"
Professor Oak will try to replicate the Physic false vacuum event.

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2018, 10:49:03 pm »

Day 4, mid-day
(Excuse the long wait. I have returned!)

Order of the Day: Get abundant food enough to feed everyone tonight! All found food should be dumped in the shelter. No stealing please! (In other words, all food found with this order in mind does not go to your personal inventory, but to a stock-pile in the shelter.)
+1 Karma for every successful action towards this goal. If no-one succeeds at the goal by the end of the day, everyone but the Duke gains a level of exhaustion.
Fritz: 3 bundles of bananas
"Nobody" Jack: a bundle of roots, and 2 piles of mushrooms

Chow down on the last of my jerky, then go out hunting. I got a score to settle with SEVERAL denizens of this island now.

Phys: 14, 6
With grim determination and not even the suggestion of mercy, you hunt down the various beastly inhabitants of the island. When the blood-rage passes, you look down at the defeated boar at your feet and, flush with success, howl to the skies. It is a good day to be alive!
You ignore your newly-opened wound as you drag the boar back to the shelter.
+1 Exhaustion


Go [OotD] put the bananas in the shelter and [BOAT] chop down a tree.
Phys: 14 (16-2), 2
You deposit three bundles of bananas in the new store-room of the shelter (+1 Karma), and then go search for good trees to fell near the boat-building site. You find none nearby after hours of searching. It grows hot and humid underneath the tree-tops, and you swat incessantly at burrowing, biting insects.


OotD: Go forage for food to donate to the stockpile, using my basket to help carry it.
Luck: 1 (3-6), 6/2
You find several tasty orangish roots poking out of a bank near the streamlet. You bring them back to the stockpile, and your basket falls to pieces as you set it down.

Check to figure out if anyone else here might know anything about my hand.
Pers: 10, 1
You strike up a casual conversation with Ms. Rutherford, and she shares how her own hand flared briefly with pain yesterday, upon touching the stone marker. After touching another, her other hand did the same. It does not hurt any longer though, she explains when you ask her.

OotD: Donate 2 of the meals I have to the stockpile.
You set 2 piles of mushrooms near the roots in the general store.
+1 Karma

5. Go forage for some food for myself using my basket.
Your basket gone, you set out to search for more food, but by then it is afternoon.


Let's go and check out if the lobster abomination's corpse has gone spoiled and rotten. If not, think about the way we can bring the corpse to the base to cook and eat it.
Luck: 1, 4
Unequipped with any torch, it takes you some time of stumbling through the tunnels, waving swiftly burning bundles of grass ahead of you in an attempt to make your way. You find the lobstrousity again after an hour and lean down to poke and sniff at it. As before, the pungent stench of its pale flesh sends you reeling backwards. It is utterly inedible, by your estimation. Even the tiny crabs and rodents that scurry through the tunnels seem to have given the corpse a wide berth: its sloughy flesh is undisturbed by tooth or claw. You can find your way back out of the tunnels easily enough now.


Instruct my rodent to fish while I'm resting.
Pers: 14 (17-3), 3
You rest in the shade of palmy fronds. You are awoken after some time by the thoroughly wet rodent attempting to dry off by burrowing its way up one of your sleeves. You see no fish nearby.


Yes, the family crest! That means the island belongs to me, heir of the royal family!

A face? Do you really have to ask? The screaming face, of course! Accept the gift of my noble ancestors!
Shaking with excitement, you raise your hand, fingers clutching, towards the screaming face that bubbled up out of the stone of this pillar. The stone eyes open wide, and a brilliant flash of green throws you backwards onto the ground. Cruel laughter erupts from the four faces ahead of you, ringing in your ears. You watch as your family crest cracks down the middle, the two pieces breaking off and landing at your feet with a thud. The screaming face stops screaming and begins speaking in a language that sounds much like old German. You recognize only some of the words, but believe that you grasp their meaning after a while. ".........swine........dare....to [for?] us....hands unblemished....BLOOD FIRST...the sigil [or crest perhaps]...proven....[something-about-bathing]....WITH THE BLOOD!!" At that, the four faces sink back into the pillars. The crying face is the last to go, and it bursts into fresh tears that just as quickly cease as its eyes cover over with stone. "Come [something].... come back..." it whispers, as its lips are silenced once more. You look down at the broken halves of your family crest, the edge of the rock is jagged and sharp.


  Highest Rank
Anyway I can command these folks? Because I'd like them to search for building materials for the boat or food for the shelter. :3
Sure, why not. Issue a single command to them collectively, and I'll have the person who is best at the task attempt it. Assuming that the player in question doesn't give them an action.

Signal a common distress message known to officers on deck, concisely detailing our situation. Alongside a "What do we need to meet you along your journey?", or they could drop us a small boat (or portion of their crew) to check us out.
Wit: 13 (16-3), 3
As the ship sails closer, you recognize its Dutch colours. A merchant vessel, from the look of it. Probably returning from the Orient, if you had to guess. You hail it from the top of a low dune with some hastily-thrown-together semaphore flags. After a few tries, you receive a response. "Illness. Short. Hands. Anchoring. South. Shore. Longboat. Come. To. You."


Better a diseased ship than none!

Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
The bushes have been thoroughly stomped by your pretend-scaly-feet. You begin snapping various sticks between your teeth, pretending that they are the bones of your giant, defeated foes.


Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
Still, some of it could be cultivated, you imagine. Certainly bananas seem to grow fairly well here, even if they are the smaller variety you've seen in this region of the world.


Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Find the Hidden Temple: 10/10 checks


Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a deep pit leading to a volcanic tunnel that heads underground toward the shorter hill.
Ms. Rutherford: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.
Alira Sibata: a grove of banana plants, 1d6 meals' worth of bananas once per day. 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter. (it takes an action to go harvest them)
Duke Adalhard: The Eldritch Temple! Permanent +2 Luck to all survivors, and anyone who wishes may now travel to the temple to become an initiate into the secret murder cult, gaining any and all benefits. Additionally, killing a Secret Murder Cultist now grants 3 less Exhaustion to the killer than previously.

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.
Food-store: 3 bundles of bananas, a bundle of roots, 2 piles of mushrooms

Glass

  • Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2018, 11:47:32 pm »

Why is my 1 not golden?

Anyway, go forage some food for myself, and then look around for anything of potential interest or use. Stuff tools can be made from is good.
Logged
Is your role just to +1 whatever Glass says.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Trinculoisdead

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2018, 12:28:57 am »

'cause it's not a natural 1.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17