Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2018  (Read 7684 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2018
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 07:36:48 pm »

That's not an irrecoverable situation.  Even if you don't make it to 50k, write as much as you can.

I'm sitting at a little over 12k right now, which has been challenging for the last few days since I've been traveling for work.  At least I had something to do on the flights.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 11:25:58 pm »

The past couple of years I've been extremely slack in preparation, which leads me to being behind for the first couple of weeks and then I'll *finally* hit a groove where I can't stop typing. As long as you keep moving forward in some way you're making progress, and the only way to really lose is not to try.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 02:33:04 pm »

Halfway through the month already. How is everyone getting along? I'm somehow holding on by a thread. And I still have no idea where my story is going. 25k down, 25k to go...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 03:52:55 pm »

Kind of in the same boat.  I'm at about 25.5K words right now, but realize that this is about the point where I ran out of plot.  The last chapter or two has already kind of devolved into a slog of "how can I put words on the page" more than actually elucidating on where the story is going.

It sucks because three days ago I had inspiration for a CYOA that I'd rather be writing, but I don't want to switch topics.  It claws at the back of my mind though, preventing me from really thinking about this story when I should be.

Well, I'll figure something out.  I kind of don't want to do space pirates, but if I have to, I'll do space pirates just to put words on the page.

JaneSmith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 02:34:20 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:13:11 pm by Toady One »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 07:11:13 am »

Did... a bot just join to post on a nano thread?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 09:56:26 am »

Very strange... even if Jane isn't a bot, joining NaNoWriMo 20 days into a 30 day challenge would be extremely challenging.

Anyway, 2/3rds of the way into the challenge and I'm sitting at almost 35K words.  I'm almost 2 days ahead of the curve, which feels good.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 02:13:40 pm »

I'm really hitting a wall in my story. I've sort of meandered around and need to do some scenes that develop relationships between the characters but no clue how to go about it. I kinda hate all the characters in this story so far. Makes it hard to get words out.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 02:29:49 pm »

I didn't plan well enough. Started doing topical essays relevant to the material to brainstorm ideas and counting those - things are moving much quicker now. Might be worth a try.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 02:38:16 pm »

That's actually not a bad idea if you run out of plot, which I really have too.  It's so easy to write when you know where things are going, and so hard when you don't.  Stepping back to do related writing material to reassess your ideas sounds like it's enough of being in the spirit to me to count the words.

I'm really hitting a wall in my story. I've sort of meandered around and need to do some scenes that develop relationships between the characters but no clue how to go about it. I kinda hate all the characters in this story so far. Makes it hard to get words out.

Same here.  Happened last year too, and I think for the same reasons.  Character development, as it turns out, is kind of hard to do and especially hard to do under a deadline.  When I've had years to work on stuff off and on, it's much easier to compost these kinds of ideas into something much more natural than I can produce over the course of a month.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 03:05:12 pm »

Same here.  Happened last year too, and I think for the same reasons.  Character development, as it turns out, is kind of hard to do and especially hard to do under a deadline.  When I've had years to work on stuff off and on, it's much easier to compost these kinds of ideas into something much more natural than I can produce over the course of a month.

I am realising this as my story turned into a political whodunnit involving about a dozen factions. I have no bloody clue what is going on.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2018, 04:26:26 pm »

Coming down to the end now, and I missed my daily target of 1,667 words per day for the first time yesterday.  I'm still ahead at about 44,500 words, so I'm not concerned, but these last 5,500 words are going to be a real slog to get through.

I'm seriously going to try planning better next year.  Said that last year, but I mean it this time.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2018, 01:05:07 pm »

Finished the stupid thing early this morning on a nice triple-count day. All in all I'm just glad to be done with it, I don't know if much of anything is worth salvaging.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2018, 01:07:26 pm »

Made it! The story is disjointed dreck but the setting that came out of it is sort of interesting and may be useful at some point.

Definitely making a plan in 2019. Pantsing is not my thing I have discovered. :l

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2018, 08:30:55 pm »

Yay.

Very tired.  Do not like story.  Will do more planning next year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4