Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can a vein mineral be generated only on surface?  (Read 1212 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Can a vein mineral be generated only on surface?
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:36:12 am »

I'd like to make a large cluster meteor vein that can exist in any stone or soil, but only exist in the first two layers on a map.
I know that putting it in soil can accomplish this, but then mountain biomes will never have the meteor ore.

Is there currently any way to limit a vein to the surface?

If not, I'll have to use a DFHack script on embark that plants it, which is not ideal.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Can a vein mineral be generated only on surface?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 02:12:35 pm »

I' m not sure if this could work but what if you made it appear as a custom plant? Granted it's not what you are asking, but it could then appear in any biome you want, is restricted to the surface and it's growth could be justified as a periodic meteor rain if you like an extra role play element.

I don't know if an actual weather/interaction to make your meteor spawn is possible.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 01:02:18 am »

As aboveground plants require soil walls on z-level below nearby, it'd still have the mountain issue. Vermin colony might work after a fashion (that's quite distant from large cluster in first two layers).

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 02:21:21 am »

I was thinking of grasses that don't need soil to grow, but after looking their tokens up again it turns out  that you can't gather their growth. Bummer.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 04:52:26 pm »

... Vermin colony might work after a fashion (that's quite distant from large cluster in first two layers).
Hmm, interesting direction of thought.  Non-animal colonies... not what I'm trying to do, but has potential for other ideas, e.g. refinable surface oil wells.

I was thinking of grasses that don't need soil to grow, but after looking their tokens up again it turns out  that you can't gather their growth. Bummer.
Your creativity is still well placed.  Not for this problem, but you've gotten me curious about whether grasses could be made to drop growths somehow, which could lead to some fun harvestable mineral stalagmites.  So thanks for the idea!

I may just have to make it a world-gen or embark script that adds the rare vein to all geographic regions.
I'd prefer not to need DFHack to accomplish it, though.