Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indoor refuse/butcher  (Read 883 times)

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
Indoor refuse/butcher
« on: October 02, 2018, 10:39:58 am »

So I'm wanting to do an indoor refuse and I'm just wondering - if I have a single tile channeled from the surface down to where my refuse is, will this allow the whole room to be light above ground or does it have to be every tile of the room? If the resulting tiles are still dark subterranean, will the chimney prevent miasma anyway?

Will bars or grates be sufficient protection or will building destroyers still path down?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:41:56 am by Lord Shiteblast »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor refuse/butcher
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:54:00 am »

Every tile (though miasma isn't instant, so I just make it the qsp output tile). For workshops, it is the center tile that counts.

You can floor them over, but bars and grates will either bar buildingdestroyers, or attract them, depending on how they're built.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:12:32 am »

miasma
tile attributes

Those wiki links also have options for controlling miasma and explain the tile attributes that control miasma creation.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:59:53 am »

So I'm wanting to do an indoor refuse and I'm just wondering - if I have a single tile channeled from the surface down to where my refuse is, will this allow the whole room to be light above ground or does it have to be every tile of the room? If the resulting tiles are still dark subterranean, will the chimney prevent miasma anyway?

Channel the whole room. If you are worried that a siege may come during the work (most probably during the covering phase, which takes more time than channelling) then just do not connect the future butchery to the rest of the fortress yet. Do it after it is secured, i.e. covered.

Will bars or grates be sufficient protection or will building destroyers still path down?

Building destroyers when enter the map do path to the closest building to them, not looking at such trifle obstacles like earth. But they re-focus as soon as they see other more significant targets (for example dwarves), so you can protect the area with important buildings easily, by burying them deep in the fortress, or surrounding with walls and other structures.  But doesn't matter - the best thing to do after channelling is to cover it with floors of any material - building destroyers won't touch it, and the covered tiles will still be preventing miasma formation.

Also, buildings means not only workshops and grates but also doors. You can just have a series of doors installed to stall the destroyers.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:12:05 pm »

Miasma will not travel diagonally. 

And I think floats upward to z+3 tiles where the rot originates. 

I do plenty of indoor refuse. 1 tile garbage dump chute, that is 5z deep with an atom smasher at the bottom. 

5z because Urist dumping stuff from above will not have Line of Sight 5z down from a 1x1 pit.