Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Odd Realm  (Read 5926 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd Realm
« on: October 02, 2018, 11:14:15 am »

Discovered this delightful little game today, thought I'd share it off a bit!

https://www.oddrealmgame.com/

https://unknownorigingames.itch.io/oddrealm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6lDVJFFJ10

Haven't tried it personally, but it does seem to have a decent look to it to start off with for a settler/dwarf fortress/whatever you desire to call it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:15:48 am by ZebioLizard2 »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Realm
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 01:13:25 pm »

looks neat, ill keep an eye out for this one
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:10:25 pm »

Immediate impression from the screenshots is "rimworld, but with warcraft 1 graphics". It's not quite accurate, but the point gets across.

Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily. Just a thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:45:37 pm »

Are those... hills?? Are they just decorative, marking the edges of your settlement, or does this actually have Z-levels? Very curious.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 12:16:54 am »

does this actually have Z-levels?
I'm also curious about that....
(reading on the Itch mini-forum of the game, there seem to be "camera depth/layers", so I think there are Z-levels)

since the game is not on Steam or another platform with a big review community, I'm not sure about how it compares to the others of the same genre.

Apparently, it's not there because the game is still in beta, and the dev wants his game to be more stable before going really public.
Personally, I don't mind some bugs, but I also want to know about features. Especially since, in this sort of game, what matters to me is how much there can be a goal to the game, a story getting written : soemthing to do, other than build new rooms.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:18:35 am by IWishIWereSarah »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:07:27 am »

There are indeed Z-levels. There's a few lets plays out of it so far that seem to show that it's got a proper Z-level depth.

Mesron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 06:22:05 am »

The game is pretty fun. Although I find that you have to do a little too much manually. For instance, if you have someone you want to fish you first have to give them the ability to fish but then you have to manually give them a fishing rod. I'm so used to Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria where your peons would equip the tool for the job automatically. You also have to manually harvest your farms and manually replant them. I have only played for a couple hours so I could be missing something but if I am its not obvious.

And you will have to dig down into the earth to get your Copper/Tin/Iron, these are the only ores that I have run across so far.

Edit: Also the skill/job screen is very similar to a Dwarf Therapist screen or Rim World, gives you a list of all the jobs, a number telling you how good someone is at that job and allows you to sort by job. There is also a profession for each villager that you can select, this will make them naturally better at that job and similar jobs but will cause their other jobs to go down a little bit.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:25:35 am by Mesron »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 10:49:35 am »

As long as the population doesn't get too crazy, manually assigning equipment might not be too bad. That's how Craft the World did things, and that worked out fine.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 04:49:53 pm »

Any battle/defense stuff to do in it? Because it might get a bit annoying manually assigning stuff to people for that. But then again, at least it would work (sometimes DF snafus that, and it's a pretty important bit of the game)
It's a game. Have fun.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 09:02:18 pm »

There are structures underground you can find with enemies in it. There are also bandit attacks.

I decided to wait until the game is a bit more polished after my last round.

A guy came to me and told me he lost his ship and if he could join my crew, I agreed. A while later, two guys appeared and wanted to kill him for stealing their ship...
I killed one of them, the other one killed all 12 of my settlers... (all with tools and 2 archers).

Also - farming...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 10:17:52 pm »

A guy came to me and told me he lost his ship and if he could join my crew, I agreed. A while later, two guys appeared and wanted to kill him for stealing their ship...
I killed one of them, the other one killed all 12 of my settlers... (all with tools and 2 archers).

That's a great start to a game.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 02:59:43 am »

That's a great start to a game.

It just seemed a little too unbalanced. I was hoping for only 1 or 2 to die and then the dead messages started coming in like a damn explosion.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 11:59:41 am »

I just tried it, it's basically a Dwarf Fortress clone with better graphics/ui but less content.

Not a huge fan so far, since I don't seem to be able to generate enough food, but I'm probably doing something wrong. What's slightly annoying is that a group of settlers will quickly join your camp even if you're going for the single-settler start.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:42 am »

So I just noticed that there is a topic about this game on rpg codex. [I haven't heard about it until now..] Any "fresh" opinions about the game? Is it worth buying? As I see, the developer is quite active, which is a +.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:41:37 am by gimli »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 09:08:02 am »

It's pretty alright, but at the mo' fairly content sparse. Unless you just want to support the dev, I'd probably say hold off for now. Maybe untill the other races come in? Things would likely be nicely fleshed out at that point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2