Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Round Earth  (Read 6510 times)

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
Round Earth
« on: October 02, 2018, 01:19:00 pm »

I think if you reach the edge of the map, walking off the edge should take you to the opposite side of the map to simulate the fact that Earth is round.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Round Earth
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 01:23:48 pm »

What is this nonsense? The world is clearly flat.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 01:25:28 pm »

What is this nonsense? The world is clearly flat.

Ha! You believe in the world? Wake up people!
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 01:30:50 pm »

While I believe the earth exists and is round, I don't think it is shaped like a donut, or any kind of torus of revolution.
One wheel short of a wagon

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »

This new suggestion amazes me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrD16CBEJRs

I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 01:49:24 pm »

Wasn’t there some talk about this in one of the myth talks? Or maybe it was a FoF shortly after them being demonstrated. I think the answer was that depending on the myth and parametres, the world could be spherical, torus-shaped, or something akin to balancing on some elephants or entangled in a world-tree. It’d be nice to have the actual reply dug up though for my words here to mean anything.

Also, all this would have to wait until the map rewrite, but luckily that should be the very first part of the big wait, so it’s not that far into the future.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:41:18 pm »

Possible shapes of the planet:
- Spherical
- Flat with a Wall sealing the world
- Flat with an edge where one can fall off...

Possible planetary situations
-Heliocentric Star System
- Everything is circling the planet star system
- Animals that carry the planet (or animals that carry animals that carry the planet)
- World-Tree

Now the first two planetary situations are not so difficult to handle gamewise, but the latter two pose some problems. What happens when one falls off the planet? In an animal carrying scenario the player would actually be on the giant animal, but what if he falls off of that. In a world tree setting, can one climb out of his world to reach others?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 03:48:57 pm »

If it was implemented, world shape could be handled easily enough by an advanced world gen parameter, like polar region placement. Spherical worlds would raise some questions about how the map handles wrapping, though. Would certain areas actually be smaller than they appear on map, to represent that a round object is being represented on a square medium? Or would it all be 1:1?

In any event, where would hell come into play in this?
- In spherical worlds, would it be its own sphere, wrapped in an adamantine bubble with a crunchy planetary coating?
- Would a flat world have its underworld hanging freely under the main world, and would either one be walled dependent or independently if the other?
- Would it be its own world connected to the main one, with magical portals deep underground that just happen to be surrounded by veins of adamantine?

As for other celestial bodies and greater cosmic structure, unless there is a means travel to other celestial bodies (Like that time/acid-trip/fever-dream where the Khajiit allegedly managed to reach the moon), or a means for celestial bodies to come to us (Earth-Theia Giant-Impact Event reenactment, a.k.a That time we got Majora's Mask'd) it all might be better left as an abstraction, data that comes into play when astronomy and other relevant things need it. Generating one medium-sized world is time-consuming enough, I would rather not to wait the life-span of an actual universe for the creation of an artificial one.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 04:31:04 pm »

Toady says that in the new map rewrite sphere's aren't possible. But donuts are.
Search for donuts in one of the fotf threads I guess.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:53 pm »

Possible planetary situations
-Heliocentric Star System, etc.
Also worth considering is a tidally-locked planet, where one side always faces the sun. In most real-world cases, this means that the Day side of the planet is far too hot to live in, while the Night is far too cold--but there's a narrow ring of twilight circling the world, resulting in a World Map with only a thin strip of habitable climes. There's not much point in making such a world--the only improvement would be that it explains why it's always daytime in Fortress Mode. But on more temperate planets, where the entire Day side isn't too hot to live, it would result in world maps that have the "Day Pole" (the part of the world directly facing the sun, most likely a desert) at the center of the map, and the twilight areas (most likely glaciers) forming a huge circle all around the edges.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 07:12:18 pm »

Just imagine the beast of a computer needed to calculate and simulate everything needed for this in either Fortress mode or Adventurer mode.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 09:19:09 pm »

Just imagine the beast of a computer needed to calculate and simulate everything needed for this in either Fortress mode or Adventurer mode.
It's only active at the edge. There might be edge lag, but not much else.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 06:22:37 am »

To be at a representative scale it would have to be generating millions and millions of Z-levels and close to infinite tiles on the X and Y axis.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 06:25:32 am »

To be at a representative scale it would have to be generating millions and millions of Z-levels and close to infinite tiles on the X and Y axis.
We don't want to simulate the Earth, silly. We just want round/toroidal worlds as a mythgen option. We also do not need to simulate the interior. The HFS (and bottom of the map) could be at the same Z-depth.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 06:26:18 am »

I doubt that, very much. We'll see what the map rewrite brings, but nowhere in anything Toady's mentioned about the new possibilities has he talked about suddenly requiring a computer several times faster than current.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5