Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Round Earth  (Read 6413 times)

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
  • One time, a horde of Monkeys doomed my Dwarves.
    • View Profile
Re: Round Earth
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2018, 06:38:50 pm »

Wait, since this doesn't seem to have been focused on enough:
OP does not want something simple. It is an actual mathematical fact that it is impossible to make a flat projection of a sphere without distortion. It takes highly complicated math or strange abstractions to make a proper spherical world built out of flat tiles.
I think if you reach the edge of the map, walking off the edge should take you to the opposite side of the map to simulate the fact that Earth is round.

Yeah, op SURE does want something complicated. It's literally just a request for an adventurer to be warped to an opposite side of the map when he reaches an edge to SIMULATE a round world, we're talking a very simple mechanic, not actual map projection.
May ye remember Ladderbound's fate when one of yer fruit-pickers dwarfs be thirsty and not moving.
May ye seek out solutions before your dwarf drops dead.
Ladderbound provided the proof ye can be stuck at the top of a ladder.
All raise yer cups to Ladderbound!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2018, 08:03:23 pm »

It would simulate a cylinder (wraps on one pair of edges, doesn't on the perpendicular ones), or a sort of torus. It would never simulate the "Earth that is round" without some major caveats. The simplest interpretation of the request is just not possible, so we need to look beyond that.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2018, 08:37:04 pm »

Why can't we ignore the distortion? DF is tile-based.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2018, 10:03:21 pm »

It would simulate a cylinder (wraps on one pair of edges, doesn't on the perpendicular ones), or a sort of torus. It would never simulate the "Earth that is round" without some major caveats. The simplest interpretation of the request is just not possible, so we need to look beyond that.
The request was for wraparound. The mistaken reasoning from the op was 'because earth is round'  but that's completely beside the point (as has been pointed out many times). The simplest interpretation of wraparound is wraparound. You know, like every other fake 2D wraparound world game in existence.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2018, 05:00:12 am »

It may be me, but "you're wrong, because you were right" is my interpretation of that.

I know that can't be it, but I'm not sure how best to respond other than revealing my confusion and hoping you don't think me even more of an incomprehending/incomprehendable arse than you doubtless already do.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2018, 05:23:18 pm »

They weren't asking for a round world, they were asking for wraparound with the faulty justification of a round world.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2018, 06:22:46 pm »

In all seriousness, simulating a planet atom-to-atom might be possible if we get Dyson spheres. But I highly doubt that someone would dedicate theirs to Dwarf Fortress.
Why not? There's a lot of stars in just this galaxy. If we ever get around to becoming a type-3 civilization we may as well devote a solar system to playing the best possible version of DF.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2018, 07:53:17 pm »

In all seriousness, simulating a planet atom-to-atom might be possible if we get Dyson spheres. But I highly doubt that someone would dedicate theirs to Dwarf Fortress.
Why not? There's a lot of stars in just this galaxy. If we ever get around to becoming a type-3 civilization we may as well devote a solar system to playing the best possible version of DF.
Seems like an awful lot of work just to play a game. It's better to devote all spheres to either actual life simulations or other stuff.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2018, 12:06:47 am »

Seems like an awful lot of work just to play a game. It's better to devote all spheres to either actual life simulations or other stuff.

By then, DF will probably BE a life simulation, just more !!FUN!!
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2018, 12:48:09 am »

By then, DF will probably BE a life simulation, just more !!FUN!!
Specialized ones will be a better thing to run either way. And I'm sure the plan is NOT to simulate everything.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2018, 08:23:20 am »

KittyTac really shines on this thread.

To a large extent the mathematics of a spherical world don't really matter, since what the player needs to be able to do is walk off the edge of one side of the map and end up on the other side.  I guess this accounts for the popularity of donut-shaped worlds, in most cases the poles are far too cold for people to traverse. 

One thing to consider though, is that we have an option of North poles worlds, South pole worlds and both pole worlds.  In effect certain worlds bottom is not the poles but the equator.  This points towards the worlds we currently have being merely sides of half-sides of a bigger world that is unexplored; providing of course opportunities for a future explorer role. 

Could we not therefore take care of the roundness problems by adjusting the size of the off-map regions.  We could also, for those who want to play artic explorer create two appropriately sized artic maps for the 'top' and #bottom' of the world, if you somehow get to the other side without freezing to death you would be placed on one side of the map on the other side of the world.

If we had for instance 8 regions for those with both poles and 16 regions, not including the artic maps *then* we could make a spherical-feeling world out of flat maps.  That is because the more flat regions we add in, the less apparent the 'edges' are going to be.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2018, 09:26:15 am »

If we had for instance 8 regions for those with both poles and 16 regions, not including the artic maps *then* we could make a spherical-feeling world out of flat maps.  That is because the more flat regions we add in, the less apparent the 'edges' are going to be.
I take it you don't mean an octahedral or something like a gyroelongated square bipyramid or pyramid-faced-octahedron layout, there?

For square grids, you really need to have six whole planar regions, and there's no other way. Or I continue to misunderstand.

(And I take it you meant cylindrical, not donut, at the start. To which you could simply cap with polar circles if you don't mind the change in field geometry.)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2018, 07:24:51 am »

Also: IRL poles aren't a necessarily part of the top and bottom of worlds...

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2018, 08:55:04 pm »

Okay, this was a disaster, I'm closing this thread.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]