Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What affects war in worldgen?  (Read 1143 times)

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What affects war in worldgen?
« on: October 07, 2018, 09:48:39 am »

So I've made a mod and put two entities that are supposed to go on constant wars with each other. It worked, except only the first type of entity ever declares war, I've checked in legends viewer that sometimes they attack each other, but the second entity is always been nearly wiped out cause it's the target of constant wars. I want this to be balanced in worldgen, I don't know how fights are even calculated, but I've made the second (loser) race stronger than the first, so I don't know why they keep losing battles.

What are the tokens that make an entity go to war? Is it ethics? If so, which ethics? Is it values?
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What affects war in worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 11:41:09 am »

This is not a specific answer and I hope it will help you but don't refrain from chastising me if you find it unhelpful either.

I've read somewhere that war is driven by the difference in ethics. So say an entity finds eating sentient creatures to be required and another entity finds eating sentient creatures to be forbidden.

Then it is more likely they will go to war against each other.

So it is not a specific ethic value that encourages war, as you may have found out while editing your raws. It is making an entity's ethical values vastly different from another entity's ethical values that encourages war.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 11:49:33 am »

Could make the always-losing race breed faster, and make more towns (smaller amount of citizens per town).

in my OldGenesis, centaur ethics and dwarf ethics seem to clash most consistently, you can take a peek there. Also Groblins (crude goblins).
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 01:18:22 pm »

Yeah, there are some serious ethic differences, I think the issue might be that the second entity allows cannibalism and forbids slavery, whilst the first is the inverse. But if this were the case, we would see an even distribution in war declarations, one entity despises the other's ethics equally, but the second race never declares war, ever.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 04:28:54 pm »

Leader's aggression/ambition also influences the rate of war.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:56:44 pm »

Creatures are strongly encouraged to go to war if one is a babysnatcher or item thief and the other is not.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 07:29:59 am »

Leader's aggression/ambition also influences the rate of war.

How is this measured in the raws?

Creatures are strongly encouraged to go to war if one is a babysnatcher or item thief and the other is not.

That's not the case.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 10:01:19 am »

Yeah, there are some serious ethic differences, I think the issue might be that the second entity allows cannibalism and forbids slavery, whilst the first is the inverse. But if this were the case, we would see an even distribution in war declarations, one entity despises the other's ethics equally, but the second race never declares war, ever.
The thing is that the entity that forbids cannibalism feels far more strongly about the issue than the ones that practice it, which means the the cannibals are fine with the non-cannibals existing but not the other way around.

A means to ensure survival is to maybe increase the number of biomes they can start in and settle.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?