Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glitch or Feature?  (Read 1593 times)

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glitch or Feature?
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:21:07 am »

So my new tundra fort is only two years old and has a budding pig-tail industry, So i was like "Can I dictate what material these cloth bags are made out of?" Sure enough you can, but there seems to be a problem. My dwarves seem to report that I have approximately 90000 pig tail cloth.

Time to play my favorite game, Glitch or Feature?

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch or Feature?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 09:42:18 am »

Question marks in the stocks screen indicates that the book keeper is not at highest accuracy.  Inaccuracies in the reported amounts are intentional in such conditions.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:00:19 am »

The wiki says "One newly made piece of cloth is worth 10000 'cloth units' and a thread is worth 15000 units of thread, according to the hospital." This same quantity of 10,000 is shown in the job manager screen, so you actually have about 90 pigtail cloth.

It is worth nothing that if your hospital uses cloth for a dressing, it only uses less than 10,000 units, making that specific piece of cloth useless at the clothing workshop, which needs a full 10,000 units.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 04:21:57 pm »

Question marks in the stocks screen indicates that the book keeper is not at highest accuracy.  Inaccuracies in the reported amounts are intentional in such conditions.
AFAIK, the inaccuracy is just rounding. You will never see "100?" when it's really 1938.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 06:44:16 pm »

You'll see this with other materials too - one metal bar is 100 metal units, and you need 150 units of fat glob to make soap.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 02:34:11 am »

AFAIK, the inaccuracy is just rounding. You will never see "100?" when it's really 1938.
it is rounded. so your "1938" would become "2000?" and an amount of "83" would be "90?"
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 03:59:26 am »

it is rounded. so your "1938" would become "2000?" and an amount of "83" would be "90?"
Not always. The degree of rounding depends on the accuracy level of the bookkeeper.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:32:55 am »

Not always. The degree of rounding depends on the accuracy level of the bookkeeper.
yes, i just wanted to give an example for how it might be rounded. the default setting is lowest, which means if i got 5 of something, it says "10?" if i got 15, it says "20?" if i got 1938 is says "2000?"
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 03:05:14 am »

Edit: Wrong thread. Not sure how that happened.